Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chris Benoit The Wrestler

Hi there guys! I was on youtube today and was watching this man's wrestling and does anyone else miss him??
    I'm talking about in ring and nothing else, I truly miss his in ring work and seeing him on t.v every week. Do you guys have any personal fav moments of Chris's? Mine was Wrestlemania after winning the World Title and Eddie coming out to be with him and to be there with his best friend and share the moment with him. Please keep this in ring work and not the horrible tragedy that happened to his family.

Benoit's work was outstanding and I enjoyed every match he was in. He made sure that he gave it his best in the ring and made the other guy look good as well. I wished that he faced Punk for the ECW title. THAT would have been a true match between old school ECW and the new breed.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRealToMe View Post
    Hi there guys! I was on youtube today and was watching this man's wrestling and does anyone else miss him??
    I'm talking about in ring and nothing else, I truly miss his in ring work and seeing him on t.v every week. Do you guys have any personal fav moments of Chris's? Mine was Wrestlemania after winning the World Title and Eddie coming out to be with him and to be there with his best friend and share the moment with him. Please keep this in ring work and not the horrible tragedy that happened to his family.

When I think of someone leaving it all in the ring, I think of Benoit. From watching him in the J Cup as Pegasus Kid, to watching him break Sabu's neck in ECW, to seeing him and Dean Malenko being the first two "right picks" for the new Horsemen, to his Best of 7 with Booker, he was one guy who I can't recall a performance in which he just phoned it in. What's great was the fact that anyone who stepped in the ring with him stepped up their game. Angle vs. Benoit was always a visual treat to watch and he was such an explosive wrestler it seemed that everyone looked better in the ring when they worked with him.

From a wrestling stand point, he is who I think of when I watch the strong style matches or the 40 min matches in PWG or ROH. Guy had a positive influence in the wrestling world from an inring stand point, and while his end might be one (if not the) greatest tradgeties in wrestling history, his matches will always be some of the higher notes in wrestling history to me.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Blog Entries
    Chris Benoit falls under the same catagory as Michael Jackson for me - say what you like about him (and a lot of people do) but you cannot knock his work.

Benny The Ball's Teddy is here to fuck you up...

...and then steal your girl!

#BennysTeddy

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    When I think of someone leaving it all in the ring, I think of Benoit. From watching him in the J Cup as Wild Pegasus, to watching him break Sabu's neck in ECW, to seeing him and Dean Malenko being the first two "right picks" for the new Horsemen, to his Best of 7 with Booker, he was one guy who I can't recall a performance in which he just phoned it in. What's great was the fact that anyone who stepped in the ring with him stepped up their game. Angle vs. Benoit was always a visual treat to watch and he was such an explosive wrestler it seemed that everyone looked better in the ring when they worked with him.

From a wrestling stand point, he is who I think of when I watch the strong style matches or the 40 min matches in PWG or ROH. Guy had a positive influence in the wrestling world from an inring stand point, and while his end might be one (if not the) greatest tradgeties in wrestling history, his matches will always be some of the higher notes in wrestling history to me.
    Ahem!

(When he lost his mask to Jushin Lyger he stopped being known as Pegasus Kid, which happened some time before the inaugural J Cup.... Sorry to be a correcting prick, but, yeah.. Dem fine 'tails, duderino. Gotta keep on top of 'em )

Lol, Benny, that was the perfect way to sum Benoit up.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    #KashBrokeMyBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Nerds are awesome though!
    Are you going for some kind of sig quote world record?

#FreeBodom

Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    Ahem!

(When he lost his mask to Jushin Lyger he stopped being known as Pegasus Kid, which happened some time before the inaugural J Cup.... Sorry to be a correcting prick, but, yeah.. Dem fine 'tails, duderino. Gotta keep on top of 'em )

Lol, Benny, that was the perfect way to sum Benoit up.
    I'll have to re-watch the 1995 J-Cup because I could have sworn they announced him as the Wild Pegasus during that event; but I'll admit that it's been a few years since I have re-watched that card for the 4000th time.

And he lost the hood (and belt) in 1991 while he and Liger fought for the title in Mexico.

DRG hates everyone

Deleted... Because I finally got what you were meaning and realized I called him "Kid"

DRG hates everyone

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    I'll have to re-watch the 1995 J-Cup because I could have sworn they announced him as the Wild Pegasus during that event; but I'll admit that it's been a few years since I have re-watched that card for the 4000th time.

And he lost the hood (and belt) in 1991 while he and Liger fought for the title in Mexico.
    Lol, I bolded and corrected it to Wild Pegasus from Pegasus kid. He was definitely known as Wild Pegasus by the 1994 SuperJCup. I too have watched that and the 1995 version thousands of times. But the real question is, which of those two were your favourite?

I prefer the 1994 event. Between Benoit, Sasuke, Eddy, Lyger, and a very young Shinjiro Ohtani, that event was insanely good. The fans on the night were loosing their minds as Sasuke tore through the competition en route to losing to Pegasus in the finals. Jushin Lyger vs The Great Sasuke on that night is still one of my all time favourite matches.

The 1995 event was definitely not without it's own moments, though. The inclusion of Ultimo Dragon being the biggest plus, and his match against a much improved Shinjiro (who is definitely one of my all time favourites) was fantastic. I also think that the wrong person won the tournament, and the lack of an announce team took away from the overal excitement as a fan. What was also a note of interest (especially considering the thread this is being posted in) was the amount of roided muscle that Benoit had put on in the space of one year. His body was almost unrecognisable.

Side note: the Super J Cup's in 2000 and 2004 were by far inferior shows, although the 2000 show had a few moments worth remembering such as Sano vs Sasukue, an up and coming CIMA's performances (his match vs the freaky Onryu was particularly fun), and the finals between Lyger and Tiger Mask IV.

Back to Benoit: his feud with Lyger yielded some bonafied classics, and watching them back today and comparing today's Lyger to the guy back then is a joy. Even though he eliminated the high flying spots from his repertoire (such as the Shooting Star Press, a move that he invented), he still managed to have hundreds of exciting matches. The guy managed to take away the moonsaults and replace them with a simple running slap without detracting from the quality of his performances. Something that today's crazy high fliers should study to help maintain their own careers, and something that Benoit should have taken note of and implemented into his own self-punishing act before it was too late.

Side note 2: Anyone else cringe when they see DB doing the diving head butt? Knowing the damage that it did to Harley Race (who did a middle rope version), Dynamite Kid (who generally landed on his knees with the move), and Benoit himself (who took the move to new heights, literally), I would certainly refrain from using it if I was a wrestler.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    #KashBrokeMyBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Nerds are awesome though!
    Are you going for some kind of sig quote world record?

#FreeBodom

Yes, I wish I could have seen more of Benoit, since I was out of the wrestling loop when he was hitting his stride and winning his World Championship. I only have youtube and reading material to go off, but I can still recognize that he was one of the best as far as wrestling goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    Side note 2: Anyone else cringe when they see DB doing the diving head butt? Knowing the damage that it did to Harley Race (who did a middle rope version), Dynamite Kid (who generally landed on his knees with the move), and Benoit himself (who took the move to new heights, literally), I would certainly refrain from using it if I was a wrestler.
    Bryan's no mug, I'm sure he's well aware of the hazards of using it. As long as he's comfortable doing it knowing that he's doing it safely (I doubt he'd be doing it if he knew that it was doing a lot of damage to himself), then I have no problem with him using it.