sports games curses

do you believe in sports game curses?
    there is the madden curse I believe there was a nba jam curse
    there is this modern curse in fifa where whatever mexican is on the cover of the north-american version turns into shit or something bad happens like the madden one
    so do you believe in these curses?

Blog Entries
    To put it simply, no.... not one bit. I hate superstition, the Madden curse is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, and people who actually believe that being on a cover of a video game will automatically make you do bad need to get their heads checked.

I disagree with Broc. I in fact do believe in the Madden curse, to an extent. I'm one of the biggest superstitious guys around. I mean before Superbowl 2010, I didn't tie my shoes for 2 months. Although we lost...so that was kind of point less. After that I stopped doing things like that, but I still believe in those types of things.

I mean I think it has more to do with the success they're having. If they're on the cover, obviously they're doing good. Injuries happen all the time, especially when right then you're at the top of your career. I'm not saying it's all coincidence...and it's pretty easy to keep the curse going, when part of it is "OR your team has a bad season" which pretty much means not winning the Superbowl or having a non attention grabbing statistical game.

Injuries happen all the time though, to big players too. Especially when they're on top of the word and have everything going their way. Adrian Peterson could have won the cover instead of Peyton Overrated. He still would have had that horrible ACL injury, and it would have all been blamed on the cover. Same goes with Mendenhall, or Peyton Manning, or anyone else who got hurt this year or had a bad season. What if Danny Woodhead got on the cover? Let me guess, losing the Superbowl falls under the curse too?

I don't know though, it seems that something does sort of happen though every year, so it's kind of nice to play along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I disagree with Broc. I in fact do believe in the Madden curse, to an extent. I'm one of the biggest superstitious guys around. I mean before Superbowl 2010, I didn't tie my shoes for 2 months. Although we lost...so that was kind of point less. After that I stopped doing things like that, but I still believe in those types of things.

I mean I think it has more to do with the success they're having. If they're on the cover, obviously they're doing good. Injuries happen all the time, especially when right then you're at the top of your career. I'm not saying it's all coincidence...and it's pretty easy to keep the curse going, when part of it is "OR your team has a bad season" which pretty much means not winning the Superbowl or having a non attention grabbing statistical game.

Injuries happen all the time though, to big players too. Especially when they're on top of the word and have everything going their way. Adrian Peterson could have won the cover instead of Peyton Overrated. He still would have had that horrible ACL injury, and it would have all been blamed on the cover. Same goes with Mendenhall, or Peyton Manning, or anyone else who got hurt this year or had a bad season. What if Danny Woodhead got on the cover? Let me guess, losing the Superbowl falls under the curse too?

I don't know though, it seems that something does sort of happen though every year, so it's kind of nice to play along with it.
    ea said tha when the fans got to choose the cover for madden 12 they think fans voted on the least favorite player so theirs wouldn´t get hurt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post

I can see too an extent, but people who think "oh he's on the cover he's getting injured" is just stupid. Drew Brees had a fine year after being on the cover. I've given up on superstition ever since the snapping thing didn't work.....

I wouldn't say a fine year. 2008 he almost breaks passing yards record, 2009 he wins Superbowl, and 2010 he loses in the Wild Card and only has 4,600 yards, then the next year he comes back and breaks the passing record. I mean 2010 was still a good season for any Quarterback, but for Drew Brees it was just average.

Blog Entries
    No. No such thing as curses. Just bad luck or the inability to win the big competitions.

Hell Wayne Rooney is 1 of the people on the cover of Europe's FIFA 12 and he is 1 of the biggest factors of Man Utd just taking 1st in the Premier League (for now )

I could apply the same logic to people on the cover of every sports game. Madden, NHL, NBA, etc.

Blog Entries
    There isn't so much a curse in FIFA as there is a rumoured handicap that hinders high rated teams in ultimate team when they face low rated teams with low chemistry
    Prediction Contest Podiums:
    Extreme Rules: 1st (Perfect Score)
    Payback: 3rd

CGBigMan - The Football Manager

EWNCW - Gillz:
    Superstar of the Year (2011)
    World Heavyweight Champion Aug 29th (11) - Oct 30th (11)
    EWNCW Champion Nov 28th (11) - Apr 16th (12)
    BWA Undisputed World Tag Champions Feb 19th (12) - March 18th (12) (With Ryan Wells)

WWE Fed - Manik:
    Royal Rumble Entrant

Quote Originally Posted by CGBigMan View Post
    There isn't so much a curse in FIFA as there is a rumoured handicap that hinders high rated teams in ultimate team when they face low rated teams with low chemistry
    only in the north american cover with mexicans the mexicans get the madden curse