Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Black Ninja! The Brown One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Auckland, NewZealand
    Posts
    8,521
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JLionsault View Post
    I think most of you are looking too much into this. I'll bet money that their either mates or have a good mutual respect for each other. The amazing promo that Cena cut was to get people talking and waiting for Wrestlemania. I bet that Rock respects Cena for what he does each week and Cena respects Rocky for doing something he loves to do. Point is its kayfabe and John Cena's promo did exactly what it was meant to do. This is going to be a good WRESTLING match from BOTH men.
    No one said that they didn't.

  2. #22
    Normal Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    299
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One View Post
    No one said that they didn't.
    And I'm not saying that anyone did. I'm just sayin some people are looking too far into it. It's like a heel saying he got cheated out of a win when he cheats all the time. Part of being in a storyline and cutting a promo is going to be hypocrisy. Rock will probably come in next week and say that he paid his dues working hard for the time he was there and Cena has done that too. It just seems like people are taking the storyline too seriously. And I know it is possible that I'm not taking it seriously enough and Cena may easily be voicing his true opinions as I know these are the opinions of a lot of the guys backstage (from what I've read)

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jledwig View Post
    I totally agree. The Rock may come back this Monday and basically say what you just said. Also what he may say is if it wasnt rocky retiring from Wrestling temporarily John Cena WOULD NOT be a poster boy right now and wouldn't be where he is today. If Rock was still in WWE full time Cena would not be even close to The Rock in terms of popularity with fan base. Any Thoughts?
    This. CM Punk pointed this out a while ago. Also, people forget that The Rock was still filming movies while he worked with WWE. Also, I think Cena would have been a star but no where as big as he is today. Just imagine if The Rock, Brock Lesnar, and Stone Cold didn't leave.

  4. #24
    Here is where I see it. The question was is John Cena a hypocrite? If John Cena was Hollywood worthy at his first movie, would he have gone to Hollywood? Let's go with the Marine which came out in 2006 if I am correct? Where was John Cena? He was in the Title Picture, he was loving his life doing what he wanted to do. He loved wrestling. Anyone who would've left either was at the end of their career or they didn't see themselves going anywhere or they didn't care enough about wrestling. The Rock loved wrestling, it was his soul. At the end of his career, he saw that he had a chance to go to Hollywood. He saw that a new era was rising and he passed on the torch. He thought that it was time for him to leave and go on to different things. The Rock wanted to go and be a movie star, but he still loved wrestling. John Cena never wanted to do that. Who knows, maybe in a few years he might want to do that. But at the moment of his first movie and as of right now, John Cena would rather be in no other place but in the WWE
    http://i.imgur.com/5pZdU5D.gif

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    No offense,but that has to be the most ignorant thing I've ever read being said about the Rock. He's third Generation,his father was a wrestler, his grandfather was a wrestler,his uncles were wrestlers,alot of his extended family are all wrestlers. This isn't Kevin Nash,or Batista,who literally only came into the business to make a buck. The Rock has one of the most engrained and most personal associations with pro wrestling spanning generations, and his daddy wasn't some indy failure like John Cena's pops. Also,can you find one SINGLE clip or interview of the Rock saying "Oh,I always wanted to be an actor,f*ck wrestling, I'm just doing this to pass the time til a Hollywood offer comes my way." Before the Rock, no wrestler was even considered good enough to actually be the lead in a movie that wasn't a campy satirical b-grade piece of shit like the stuff done by Hogan and Piper. The Rock didn't set out to "be an actor" either,but,at the height of his popularity, he made a damn convincing argument that he could be a great one. And sure,his movies did "OKAY",and he had to succumb to Disney hell for a bit,but he still knows how to play a convincing,charismatic badass lead. Something Cena couldn't do if his life depended on it

    Well, no offense but your response just show your that you never lack of knowledge on the matter or The Rock interviews when he was starting,He always, always claimed he wanted to go to Hollywood and that it was his plan all along, not to be an actor per se but to "expand his horizons towards Hollywood", that the logical next step for him was going to Hollywood, and that it was his plan along, He and Vince planned it that way according to those interviews right after he filmed The Mummy Returns.

    He never said F*ck wrestling, He always claimed Wrestling was and will always be his first love, but that he wanted to dedicate himself to his new career and that was after he left in 2003, which was a Huge Mistake from the WWE because the Rock didn't quit or anything, The contract ran out and even Vince knew they screwed up because it was said at the Wrestlemania party he was apologizing to the Rock, who didn't pursued a renewal after that.

    Look for those ET bits from 1999 and check them by yourself, and just so you know, since Hogan Vince has always wanted to put most of his big stars into acting, the more diversity for them to have the better for him, He even tried that with Austin filming Nash Bridges as a regular character until the canceled the show.

    If he planned it or not, you can't really check that, but in every interview afterward they make sure to make believe he was going to.

    And the role that actually give him credibility was not with him as a lead actor, after having moderated success as a lead he played a secondary role in a movie with John Travolta, that was the role that showed that no matter what part he played, he could make most of it, actually he played a gay actor/thugh in the movie Get Shorty I believe.

    And on the other hand, John Cena has had his fair share of opportunities to either leave or to be part time actor and part time wrestler and well he never took it, and it could either be because of his position in the company as main eventer or passion for the business, pick your poison.

    In that regard he has being intelligent, in a time in which Action Heros are not really getting much to do unless it is a big character and that also has its pros and cons, he has relied on his wrestling career more than anything.

    Is he an hypocrite? Maybe, maybe not but one thing is certain, he is not as interested into becoming a actor as the Rock was in his prime.
    Last edited by maar13; 02-22-2012 at 10:47 AM.

  6. #26
    cena seems to legitimietly love wwe


    yes yes yes

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    When the Rock left,he not only left the Wrestling business,but he also created a bridge between Hollywood and Sports Entertainment that was alot more legitimate than the Hogans, DDPs,Jesse Venturas and others before him. It was because of the Rock that Vince Mcmahon started putting his name in producer credits in films,and the eventual [horrendous] idea of WWE films studios came about.
    What is this? The WWE has been producing movies since at least 1989 with a movie starring Hogan called "No Holds Barred". To further my point, in 1999, Vince McMahon clearly stated, on camera, that "the WWF makes movies. That's what they're about." That's not even the first time he's said it; he's been going on about being an "entertainment company" for decades. VKM also had an executive producer credit in The Rock's movie "The Mummy Returns". The Rock wasn't responsible for Vince doing shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    Also,can you find one SINGLE clip or interview of the Rock saying "Oh,I always wanted to be an actor,f*ck wrestling, I'm just doing this to pass the time til a Hollywood offer comes my way."
    Because realistically, an active wrestler who had The Rock's kind of popularity would definitely "poo-poo" on the wrestling business and start sucking ass to Hollywood. Especially when you consider your other insightful comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    Before the Rock, no wrestler was even considered good enough to actually be the lead in a movie that wasn't a campy satirical b-grade piece of shit like the stuff done by Hogan and Piper.
    Where's the audio of The Rock praising his wrestling background while he was making movies "away" from WWE? Doesn't exist because he didn't talk much of wrestling. Said he was "through with it" a few times, pally-boy. You can, however, find a clip of Cena saying "no matter how well [the Marine] does, I'm a wrestler first." Exactly how do you suggest hypocrisy based on events that never actually happened (ie Cena's successful film career)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Nature boy View Post
    although Cena loves the wrestling business i am sure he would love 20 million euro per movie even more
    He'd probably prefer currency with actual value, though.

    Shhhh... I think people can hear you...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by maar13 View Post
    Well, no offense but your response just show your that you never lack of knowledge on the matter or The Rock interviews when he was starting,He always, always claimed he wanted to go to Hollywood and that it was his plan all along, not to be an actor per se but to "expand his horizons towards Hollywood", that the logical next step for him was going to Hollywood, and that it was his plan along, He and Vince planned it that way according to those interviews right after he filmed The Mummy Returns.
    He never said F*ck wrestling, He always claimed Wrestling was and will always be his first love, but that he wanted to dedicate himself to his new career and that was after he left in 2003, which was a Huge Mistake from the WWE because the Rock didn't quit or anything, The contract ran out and even Vince knew they screwed up because it was said at the Wrestlemania party he was apologizing to the Rock, who didn't pursued a renewal after that.

    Look for those ET bits from 1999 and check them by yourself, and just so you know, since Hogan Vince has always wanted to put most of his big stars into acting, the more diversity for them to have the better for him, He even tried that with Austin filming Nash Bridges as a regular character until the canceled the show.

    If he planned it or not, you can't really check that, but in every interview afterward they make sure to make believe he was going to.

    And the role that actually give him credibility was not with him as a lead actor, after having moderated success as a lead he played a secondary role in a movie with John Travolta, that was the role that showed that no matter what part he played, he could make most of it, actually he played a gay actor/thugh in the movie Get Shorty I believe.

    And on the other hand, John Cena has had his fair share of opportunities to either leave or to be part time actor and part time wrestler and well he never took it, and it could either be because of his position in the company as main eventer or passion for the business, pick your poison.

    In that regard he has being intelligent, in a time in which Action Heros are not really getting much to do unless it is a big character and that also has its pros and cons, he has relied on his wrestling career more than anything.

    Is he an hypocrite? Maybe, maybe not but one thing is certain, he is not as interested into becoming a actor as the Rock was in his prime.
    In your first post,u suggested that the Rock just used wrestling as a means to an end, which is ridiculous if you look at his family history because he literally has wrestling in his blood for generations. Maybe I took that comment to mean more than you were saying, but it seemd like you, as many others here, think the Rock only used wrestling to become an actor. Now I realize you were making a different point, so my bad if I assumed you were getting at something,and I interpreted it as something else. Using the Rock's post-actor interviews is skewed,because obviously, anyone who wants to be treated seriously in Hollywood,would naturally need to distance themselves from something like professional wrestling. So just like you suggest,you can't look at any previous interviews about whether he wanted to be an actor(because they don't seem to exist) You can't really villify him for "turning his back" on the business,when all he did was take advantage of a golden opportunity.

    -Austin was a "guest star" on a tv show,hardly the same thing as the Rock getting top billing and starring in major motion pictures. Hogan and others are in the same boat. No star in their time had that kind of buzz or recognition as the Rock,not even Hogan, not Austin, no one. Austin,also by and large did the same thing as the Rock,but to much lesser success. Why doesn't Cena come out and call Austin out for only showing up once or 2wice a year? Cuz he'd probably slap the shit out of him. The Rock got his break in the Mummy 2 and he got his first big role in Scorpion King. He then went on to star in the Run-Down and did Get Shorty after. His range in Get Shorty let him break out of the "action hero" typecast and let him venture into Disney movies(which,while campy,were still hits)
    -John Cena was a monumental failure as an action hero, his movies sucked,every single one of them. So he wasn't "intelligent" he was a stupendous failure as an action hero. Sure the days of action hero films are gone,but the Rock actually kept his career alive by expanding his range. Cena didn't "choose" not to be a movie star, he knows he can't cut it as one. The WWE knew as well,so they tried with Dibiase,HHH and others. There's no argument that he focused on his WWE career,and is dedicated to his job. However,it still stands, if he had the same opportunity and ability as the Rock,I bet he'd taken it.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingPowder View Post
    What is this? The WWE has been producing movies since at least 1989 with a movie starring Hogan called "No Holds Barred". To further my point, in 1999, Vince McMahon clearly stated, on camera, that "the WWF makes movies. That's what they're about." That's not even the first time he's said it; he's been going on about being an "entertainment company" for decades. VKM also had an executive producer credit in The Rock's movie "The Mummy Returns". The Rock wasn't responsible for Vince doing shit.

    Because realistically, an active wrestler who had The Rock's kind of popularity would definitely "poo-poo" on the wrestling business and start sucking ass to Hollywood. Especially when you consider your other insightful comment:

    Where's the audio of The Rock praising his wrestling background while he was making movies "away" from WWE? Doesn't exist because he didn't talk much of wrestling. Said he was "through with it" a few times, pally-boy. You can, however, find a clip of Cena saying "no matter how well [the Marine] does, I'm a wrestler first." Exactly how do you suggest hypocrisy based on events that never actually happened (ie Cena's successful film career)?



    He'd probably prefer currency with actual value, though.
    Did you not read the part you quoted where I clearly acknowledge that wrestlers have been in movies before the Rock? Yeah,Vince has been making "movies" but making a low budget piece of shit,or the current "wwe films direct to dvd bonanza" is completely different from making big name blockbusters with big name hollywood studios. The Rock was a superhot ticket in the '90s and studios only paid attention to Vince to get access to him. You CLEARLY didn't read most of anything I wrote,as I noted Vince's executive producer credit in Mummy Returns, but the ONLY reason he got that is because he let the Rock be in it.

    So you agree with me? Because if your trying sarcasm,that isn't your strong suit "pally." For the Rock to be taken seriously as an actor,he needed to distance himself from pro wrestling. That's a fact. That's what every cross over medium entertainer needs to do. Does Austin talk about feuding with Vince McMahon when promoting his movies? Does Foley do standup routines about trying to do dropkicks or keeping a sock in his crotch? Does Mickey James make country records about wristlocks and ddts? The same thing in the WWE,they don't take any of your work outside their company to consideration,even if it's wrestling related,and god forbid they promote one of their superstars as a multi-genre entertainer. And honestly, for a guy who's previous career is considered a male soap opera,why wouldn't he distance himself from a specific image to be taken seriously as an ACTOR. So to be taken as a serious actor, he had to be "through with it." Especially when you consider his falling out with Vince over the use of his name etc. it's not hard to think he wanted nothing to do with the WWE for a few years,as alot of great wrestlers have done in their careers,specifically because of Vince McMahon.

    Also, Cena never had to say "I'm an actor now, not a wrestler anymore" because the WWE has been coddling him since day one. He never was a REAL actor. He was a wwe superstar in a wwe movie. Why the hell would he have to leave? They'd do everything(and DID) to accomodate his shooting schedule,so he could still show up and put on mediocre matches and spout tired corny catch phrases. If Cena COULD make it as a real actor,he'd have to face the same decisions. Without the WWE safety harness keeping him protected in case he failed.

    The hypocrisy is this, since Cena wanted to be an actor(why make 2 movies and a third on the way if you don't?) isn't it sorta hypocritical for him to take shots at the Rock,when, in order to succeed as an actor,he'd probably have done the same thing.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    You CLEARLY didn't read most of anything I wrote
    Actually, I read every flip-floppy word of yours over these pages. It was a train wreck right from your original post and for some reason you still won't pump the brakes, girl-pants.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    For the Rock to be taken seriously as an actor,he needed to distance himself from pro wrestling. That's a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    And honestly, for a guy who's previous career is considered a male soap opera,why wouldn't he distance himself from a specific image to be taken seriously as an ACTOR. So to be taken as a serious actor, he had to be "through with it."
    You make even more sense here. He had to get away from his image in a male soap opera to go become an actor. From scripted entertainment to... scripted entertainment. He had to be "through with it" because nobody takes wrestlers seriously... however at the same time:

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    The Rock was a superhot ticket in the '90s and studios only paid attention to Vince to get access to him.
    ...and what studios were those? The Mummy Returns was in 2002. You're terrible at this.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    Does Austin talk about feuding with Vince McMahon when promoting his movies? Does Foley do standup routines about trying to do dropkicks or keeping a sock in his crotch? Does Mickey James make country records about wristlocks and ddts?
    What does this have to do with anything? The Rock avoided wrestling because of the so called stigma with pro wrestling that you've been harping on about. Austin, Foley, and James (and CENA) have all promoted their outside projects to wrestling fans. It's called "acknowledging those who brought you there."

    Let's do a little math equation:
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    Also, Cena never had to say "I'm an actor now, not a wrestler anymore"
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    He never was a REAL actor. He was a wwe superstar in a wwe movie.
    =
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingPowder View Post
    You can, however, find a clip of Cena saying "no matter how well [the Marine] does, I'm a wrestler first."
    You're proving my point for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    since Cena wanted to be an actor(why make 2 movies and a third on the way if you don't?)
    Your boss tells you to. Duh..

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    isn't it sorta hypocritical for him to take shots at the Rock,when, in order to succeed as an actor,he'd probably have done the same thing.
    Again:

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingPowder View Post
    You can, however, find a clip of Cena saying "no matter how well [the Marine] does, I'm a wrestler first."
    It looks like John Cena has debunked your theory 6 years before you pulled it out of your ass. Wrestler FIRST! NOT ACTOR, WRESTLER! FIRST! He claims he would have never left his fans (which the Rock admits quite often via satellite that he did) and because John Cena was

    Quote Originally Posted by CrowOfMurders View Post
    never was a REAL actor. He was a wwe superstar in a wwe movie
    ...there is absolutely nothing hypocritical about A WRESTLER taking shots at someone who put his acting career above his WWE fans. Now, because you couldn't understand sarcasm if it bit you on your candy ass, let me spell it out for you nice and clearly. Your argument is crap. You need to check your facts. Get over it.
    Last edited by SleepingPowder; 02-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.

    Shhhh... I think people can hear you...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.