Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

John Cena-Hypocrite?

Off the heels of JC's "red-hot" pre-Wrestlemania promo about the Rock, I just thought the fact that he complains about the Rock becoming a movie "star" just seems a bit hypocritical. When the Rock left,he not only left the Wrestling business,but he also created a bridge between Hollywood and Sports Entertainment that was alot more legitimate than the Hogans, DDPs,Jesse Venturas and others before him. It was because of the Rock that Vince Mcmahon started putting his name in producer credits in films,and the eventual [horrendous] idea of WWE films studios came about. Even John Cena's foray into motion picture has roots in the Rock's success and when Vinnie Mac and Rocky had a falling out over "The Rock" name, John Cena became not only the WWE posterboy,but it's own attempt at the home grown action hero. IF Cena was a huge hit in "the Marine" and "12 Rounds" would he really have stayed around to be a sports entertainer? His matches have been sub-par for the most of his career, so why the hell wouldn't he want to be the next Rock in Hollywood? So Rocky left to be a movie star, but wasn't John Cena hoping to do the same? If things were different, wouldn't we be encouraged to "never give up", "hustle,loyalty and respect" and "rise above hate" via satellite by John "Hollywood" Cena?

I honestly don't think Cena would have left.Wrestling seems to be his life and he seems to love doing it.

FOLEY IS GOD

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jandy View Post
    I honestly don't think Cena would have left.Wrestling seems to be his life and he seems to love doing it.
    Here's the thing people don't understand about Cena. He would have never become a professional wrestler if he would have succeeded at bodybuilding. Wrestling wasn't his first choice. If his so called movie career would have gone better, i have a feeling that he would have made the same move the Rock did, or would have eventually. If his album would have sold better, and he would have made more money off of it than what he makes in his wwe contract, then he would have become a full time rapper. mark my words
    "What was dat honey? Oh dat was da dragon screw leg whip!" -Dusty Rhodes on commentary during Rey Mysterio jr. vs. Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc '96

After years of shrugging it off, Cena's beginning to get annoyed by his haters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by masakaritko View Post
    Here's the thing people don't understand about Cena. He would have never become a professional wrestler if he would have succeeded at bodybuilding. Wrestling wasn't his first choice. If his so called movie career would have gone better, i have a feeling that he would have made the same move the Rock did, or would have eventually. If his album would have sold better, and he would have made more money off of it than what he makes in his wwe contract, then he would have become a full time rapper. mark my words
    Just because he didn't start out as a wrestler doesn't mean that wrestling isn't his passion. Everyone has to start somewhere and for Cena, bodybuilding was probably it for him.

I totally agree. The Rock may come back this Monday and basically say what you just said. Also what he may say is if it wasnt rocky retiring from Wrestling temporarily John Cena WOULD NOT be a poster boy right now and wouldn't be where he is today.

If Rock was still in WWE full time Cena would not be even close to The Rock in terms of popularity with fan base.

Any Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jledwig View Post
    I totally agree. The Rock may come back this Monday and basically say what you just said. Also what he may say is if it wasnt rocky retiring from Wrestling temporarily John Cena WOULD NOT be a poster boy right now and wouldn't be where he is today. If Rock was still in WWE full time Cena would not be even close to The Rock in terms of popularity with fan base. Any Thoughts?
    This. CM Punk pointed this out a while ago. Also, people forget that The Rock was still filming movies while he worked with WWE. Also, I think Cena would have been a star but no where as big as he is today. Just imagine if The Rock, Brock Lesnar, and Stone Cold didn't leave.

Here is where I see it. The question was is John Cena a hypocrite? If John Cena was Hollywood worthy at his first movie, would he have gone to Hollywood? Let's go with the Marine which came out in 2006 if I am correct? Where was John Cena? He was in the Title Picture, he was loving his life doing what he wanted to do. He loved wrestling. Anyone who would've left either was at the end of their career or they didn't see themselves going anywhere or they didn't care enough about wrestling. The Rock loved wrestling, it was his soul. At the end of his career, he saw that he had a chance to go to Hollywood. He saw that a new era was rising and he passed on the torch. He thought that it was time for him to leave and go on to different things. The Rock wanted to go and be a movie star, but he still loved wrestling. John Cena never wanted to do that. Who knows, maybe in a few years he might want to do that. But at the moment of his first movie and as of right now, John Cena would rather be in no other place but in the WWE
    http://i.imgur.com/5pZdU5D.gif

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBS View Post
    Agreed.

Just because Cena has done some movies on the side does not mean he sees acting as his passion. The Rock saw his next career as being an actor. Doesn't mean Cena would follow suit. Not everyone has the same career interests.
    Well said. You can't really jump to conclusions that Cena would have sold out and become a movie star if given the opportunity, because you're not Cena lol.

Wrestling may not have been his first choice as a full time career, but he was a fan from the very beginning. You should know that. They bring up how he loved wrestling from his home movies - how he made a belt out of things he found around the house. While he still has other interests, like bodybuilding and rapping, I can see that it was his dream to become a WWE wrestler. Bodybuilding wasn't. It was just something that he thought he could do, same with movies. Wrestling was his dream, and hes living it right now.

Normal Member
    Blog Entries
    I think most of you are looking too much into this. I'll bet money that their either mates or have a good mutual respect for each other. The amazing promo that Cena cut was to get people talking and waiting for Wrestlemania. I bet that Rock respects Cena for what he does each week and Cena respects Rocky for doing something he loves to do. Point is its kayfabe and John Cena's promo did exactly what it was meant to do. This is going to be a good WRESTLING match from BOTH men.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jandy View Post
    This guy got it correct. It's clear wrestling is Cena's passion and every damn thing he said on Monday about the Rock was true. I like the Rock and will always be a fan but he left us and if you don't see that it's ok I can only hope at WM 28 Cena beats the Rock.

This Monday Cena finally fired back at Dwayne and next Raw you'll see The Rock return, use his few catchphrases and leave and it's ok because like many of you guys a little Rocky goes a long way.
    I'm jus sayin...