Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Age Doesn't Mean #@%*

I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of people saying that people should hang up their boots just because they are in their late 30's or early 40's and tweak their knee a couple times. I don't care if someone can't pull off a springboard enziguri anymore or moves that they used to be able too early in their careers. As long as they can pull off actual wrestling moves, carry a match and keep up with the younger talent, I don't think they should have to give it up.

Age is just a number people!

So now that I've given my two cents, what are your guy's thoughts/opinions on the subject?

BTW, I know that this is a wrestling issue that doesn't directly apply to the WWE, but I think fans of WWE are more guilty of this than TNA fans. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by K2Jelly; 10-25-2010 at 10:14 PM.

I think there has to be a line drawn for those who can still go and those who just doesn't get that their time was gone and really need to retire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
    I think there has to be a line drawn for those who can still go and those who just doesn't get that their time was gone and really need to retire.
    What do you mean by their time is gone?

Blog Entries
    I would say people in their late 30's/ early 40's can still deliver. Look at Edge, Jericho, Angle. They are as good if not better than a lot of 20-something wrestlers.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Jelly View Post
    What do you mean by their time is gone?
    I guess that was a wrong choice of words but I think those who are still capable at 40+ should still wrestle. Its around 60 that they should really think about retiring completely. The spotlight has room for so much.

Blog Entries
    First of all, older superstars do take the spotlight away from younger stars, just because they have so much name recognition that giving them titles will certainly bring in business. For example, when looking at WWE's mid-carders, you see a lot of talent that is ready for World Championships, and at the same time there are by my count 11 active wrestlers in the WWE who are former World Champions, 4 of which are over the age of 40, 2 in their late 30's. I'm not saying these people need to retire or can't pull their weight in a match, I'm just saying, it may be better for some real good talent if they were to retire.

Second, as good as a wrestler may be, if they are spending the majority of the year sidelined because of injuries, I think that is their body's way of saying it's time to retire. It's tiring to see these wrestlers constantly being written off television for injuries, only to have them come back and take the title again, only to drop it when they become injured again.

Third, Ric Flair definitely needed to retire / still does? (I don't watch TNA so I don't know if he's still having matches). He may be viewed as the greatest wrestler of all time by some people, but when I got turned back onto wrestling about August 2007, I would see Ric Flair come out and just ask myself "How am I supposed to believe that this man is supposed to be a legitimate threat to anybody on the WWE roster?" But he just kept wrestling until he got "retired" at WrestleMania 24 at the age of 59. Funny enough, I saw Scott Steiner's infamous promo saying Flair was too old to wrestle, and that happened when Flair was 51.

So pretty much, the official age to stop wrestling at is when people no longer believe you should be able to legitimately beat other wrestlers.

I have no problems with the older guys being in the business. In fact the best match I've seen in a long time was Taker and HBK. I mean Come On, that performance was amazing and it could not have been done by any one other than those two guys. Their experience and familiarity with each other after years of working together made that top ten match possible.

But I believe that this example is the exception, not the standard. Most other examples are performers who stay way past their prime for little other reason than cash grabs or the inability to do anything else.

Another poster mentioned Angle, Edge and Jericho. Those are also valid examples, but I think that they have enough sense to leave before they over stay their welcome. Edge and Jericho are still relevant and Angle is crazy talented and started his career at 34.

But there are other reasons to retire before you become Hogan/Flair. And that is, putting your body through the physical stress that the Wrestling business is known for is better suited for the young guns who heal faster and can compete at that level for 5 nights a week.

I think keeping these old timers around past their prime is nothing more than selfish nostalgia, for the fans, promoters and talent. The fans want to see the same guys they grew up with tear the house down and say those old catch phrases that used to make them jump out of their seat and sing along. The promoters want to make money off those old fans and the new ones that will be buying their product by default and the performers themselves never want to admit its over. To admit your time has passed is to admit your mortality, that's hard for anyone let alone wrestling legends who have spent decades portraying character that are larger than life.

And finally, these old fellas need to step down so the young talent can take their place. And if they did their jobs properly, they will have put over the new guys so the fans are comfortable cheering or booing for them and keep the business they loved going well past their expiration dates.
    Last edited by Riel; 10-26-2010 at 12:01 AM.

For me it's not so much an age thing, but it really annoys me when you've got the likes of Hogan and Flair hogging the spotlight when there are much better wrestlers who should be in that position, and who deserve a break.

Worse still is when these old guys can't actually wrestle or that they look like crap, and we're expected to believe they're going face to face with a fast, strong and technically sound wrestlers in his prime? When Hogan comes out lightly punching everyone and they bounce for him, it looks ridiculous. That ruins the illusion for me.

If they were all like Kurt Angle it wouldn't be a problem. That guy has such class! He builds his opponents, gives them great matches and is never afraid to put them over. Plus, he is still one of the best wrestlers around so any time he gets in the ring with someone it's believeable and his opponents come out looking legitimately good.

Quote Originally Posted by shanethewolf View Post
    For me it's not so much an age thing, but it really annoys me when you've got the likes of Hogan and Flair hogging the spotlight when there are much better wrestlers who should be in that position, and who deserve a break.
    To Flair's credit, he usually let the young guys beat him and put them over. He did it with Sting back in WCW, Orton in WWE, and Jay Lethal in TNA. There are more examples but these are the big ones I noticed. And as long as he stays on the mic and away from the ring, I wouldn't mind seeing him...

It's when he enters a match like he did with Mick Foley I begin to worry about him.

old guys, young guys, it's performance, IF they can perform like any other business they should be allowed to ply their trade. they earned the name face recognition, they can use it to gain the younger guys some, occasionally to drop some nostalgia or what would happen if matches ( flair/ foley is one of those 10 yrs ago wouldn't it be cool if). they will move aside, it's going to take time to really build these younger talents into the kid of draw that will hold a company aloft. Styles is brilliant and as a heel he's HORRIBLE, so they have him do a major heel turn under flair so he can learn, because he has a LONG career ahead and he's gonna need those chops when flair goes.

now as for Believability, I've been a martial artists my whole life and the most dangerous man i ever met was a 5 ft 3 inch roly poly guy who i never saw without a donut. i also could not stop this man from kicking a cigarette head ( not the whole thing just the burning bit) off while i was smoking because he thought i shouldn't smoke.
    flair really looks like crap though and in this business i agree it does matter, but then again he's rick flair, he's earned our patience. Angle is still relevent, most of the ECW are still ok (Sabu makes me sad though) i'd like to see the lines between old guard and new guard blurred more but that is happening, if it happens too fast it will be too hard to work with over time.
    just because i didn't agree doesn't mean i didn't listen, it just means you were wrong. Now go away please.