Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis. Sonnen vs. Bisping

(MMA) - Dana White just posted the following via Twitter:

"Munoz is injured and out of the FOX fight! Now it's Chael Sonnen vs Mike Bisping jan 28th and the winner will fight Anderson for the title."

Sonnen and Bisping can't stand each other in real-life so the buildup should be great. This is also what many people wanted in the first place. The fight will take place next weekend on FOX and is headlined by Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis with the winner going on to face Jon Jones.
    Bisping v Sonnen, winner v Silva?

Now I know Bisping is not likely to beat Silva, but I want to see him at least get that chance, would be pretty cool! So I hope 'The Count' can knock off Sonnen.

bisping hasnt got a cat in hells chance he wont stop sonnen's wrestling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by second_city_sinner View Post
    bisping hasnt got a cat in hells chance he wont stop sonnen's wrestling
    That's what they said when he faced Jason 'Mayhem" Miller.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

I've posted Bisping's latest comments on the fight and he's obviously bang up for it. He's making out as if Sonnen won't offer him anything on the ground yet didn't he choke out Stann? I just think as ambitious as Bisping is, he cannot think that recent training with Shields is going to turn him into the best fighter in the world on his back. Miller wasn't strong enough to take Bisping down and he quickly had his way with him.

The only problem with that was Miller still had decent success in the first round, getting his shots off quickly and frustrated Bisping. He can't afford to do that against Sonnen because he'll be all over him from the start. Bisping always starts tentatively and feels his opponents out, especially if it's a huge fight. He didn't get going against Henderson and boom, job done. I was reading that Bisping's last submission was 2006 or something and really, why didn't he try and finish Miller via submission?

I think Bisping will be shocked at how much pressure Sonnen will put on him and he'll really struggle to keep fending him off. Sonnen keeps at you and tries to unsettle you on the ground. If you think back to the Silva fight, it wasn't stood up much (if at all) because Chael keeps jabbing and popping his fist into your face. He really unsettled Bisping and with seconds to go, can you see Bisping slapping him in a triangle?

Bisping never looks like stopping anyone in the stand up. I always watch him as a fan and feel nervous on the feet. He's got good hands and movement (since stupidly circling to Hendo's right bomb at UFC 100) but is he really going to knock Sonnen out? I don't think so. I really like him but Stann was another who was really confident and didn't match Sonnen's aggression. Even against someone like W Silva, The Count didn't quite do enough. Towards the end of the fight he was tired and Silva knocked him down. I hope Bisping pulls it off but if he thinks he pulls guard and drops down, he'll just get spanked.

I hope I'm wrong but Sonnen is in a totally different league to Dan/Jason Miller, Rivera. Maia would've been a good test initially as he wouldn't have knocked Bisping out but I just hope Bisping doesn't bottle it. As I say, I'm Team Bis-ping (in the words of Bruce Buffer) and he needs to go in, not pull guard, not start nervously and put pressure on Chael. We saw Brock try and takedown Overeem and the Dutchman had far too much power. Bisping won't be able to take Sonnen down and may struggle to get up after the monotonous takedown attempts. I hope for a great fight and I'll root for Bisping and just hope he doesn't try and be a smartarse.

"I'm going to get the best Chael Sonnen possible I know that," Bisping told Fighters Only. "But his jiu-jitsu won't be too slick.

"Chael Sonnen can take me down if he likes, because I know I can submit him off my back. I know I can. That's his big weakness.

"I may not have a black belt, but I consider myself a black belt. I've been rolling with Jake Shields, Dean Lister and a wash of other world champions. Believe me, if Chael Sonnen takes me down he better be prepared to get submitted.
    "Working with these guys recently, these top level jiu-jitsu guys, has really brought on my game and I am so comfortable on my back right now. In the past I have stood fights up a lot but the way I am training right now, I will be delighted if Chael takes me down. If he does, then it will be a short night for him."

Chael Sonnen cannot knock me out. He can't submit me, either.
    "The worst that is going to happen is that he will outpoint me and, if I don't beat him, I didn't deserve a title shot against Anderson Silva anyway."

Blog Entries
    Why not join the your picks prediction contest?

Ronda Rousey

I hope Sonnen wins and then loses in the exact same way to Anderson Silva.
    Would be extremely funny and interesting to follow.

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
    I hope Sonnen wins and then loses in the exact same way to Anderson Silva.
    Would be extremely funny and interesting to follow.
    I would LMAO if that happened.

Ronda Rousey

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Death View Post
    That's what they said when he faced Jason 'Mayhem" Miller.
    miller is no where near the level of wrestler that sonnen is ,no where near as strong and his stand up is debatable. i love mayhem but he is overated the only notable guy he has beat is sakuraba

Blog Entries
    Chael Sonnen isn't all that good himself. He gets lucky and wins one here and there, but drops the ball in big fights.

Ronda Rousey

Mr Death (or anyone else for that matter) how would one go about joining said pick predictions contest? I don't profess to be a fountain of knowledge however!