Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by URATOOL View Post
    So can you tell me when we last had great wrestling writers?

what you and a lot of fans don't seem to know is that writers have not always been around, they didnt come into the picture till the late 90's and even then they didn't script everyones promo's like they do word for word. Before that wrestling had bookers and NO writers. The great NWA angle that got WCW and the wrestling business on fire was done without one single damn writer.
    The silverback alpha male needs no signature

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blackman View Post
    "Great wrestling writers" are those who study the history of the talent they are writing for, plan long term for the angles they write them, and are 120% enthusiastic about writing the storylines and aren't willing to take shortcuts.

There hasn't been many of them in recent history, but I'm sure the tv writers they have now could do great things if they put the effort in.
    But have they ever existed?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdogg4 View Post
    what you and a lot of fans don't seem to know is that writers have not always been around, they didnt come into the picture till the late 90's and even then they didn't script everyones promo's like they do word for word. Before that wrestling had bookers and NO writers. The great NWA angle that got WCW and the wrestling business on fire was done without one single damn writer.
    Thank YOU! It's this dependence on the labelling of pro wrestling as a "male soap opera" I'll admit that yo need some kidfriendly superhero types(the Hogans,the Cenas, and Stings) but the REST of the show should be able to engage more fans and these shitty TV writers haven't been able to do it.

But have they ever existed?
    Yes, see post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanator View Post
    That's a cop-out. This could go for anything. And shouldnt.
    You can call it a cop out all you like. But it's a fact. I'd like to see you write 5-6 hours of TV content a week. With a roster of 70 odd wrestlers. Some of whom have been wrestling in the company for up to 20 years and not trip over old feuds and story lines. I reckon you'd be luck to last a year without doing it at least partially, once.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdogg4 View Post
    I agree with you 90% and that is the reason I say wrestling has never had great writers and asked the guy to tell me a time they did have them.

I say only 90% because before writers the creative decisions were still made and a form of writing existed. It was just it tended to be the owner of the company or the booker 'writing' the plays via decisions they made.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blackman View Post
    Yes, see post above yours.
    Dude he just killed your point, not mine!

Dude he just killed your point, not mine!
    No, he mentioned the old NWA. There was excellent booking with drawn out feuds that had meaning.

You can call it a cop out all you like. But it's a fact. I'd like to see you write 5-6 hours of TV content a week. With a roster of 70 odd wrestlers. Some of whom have been wrestling in the company for up to 20 years and not trip over old feuds and story lines. I reckon you'd be luck to last a year without doing it at least partially, once.
    I'd do it just for fun. This is why they need to hire people who live and breathe the business, knowing about everything that has happened without having to repeat history.

Is Jericho doing his own storyline then?
    Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!
    King Leonidas: Madness...?
    King Leonidas: THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAA!