Page 390 of 438 FirstFirst ... 290 340 380388389390391392 400 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 4374
    Yeah, I was just a little unclear on the intent of the article.

But for future record: I'm keenly aware of how rarity and lack thereof play into the value of things on the retro gaming market. I've been buying and selling retro games and consoles for over a decade now, and I wouldn't have invested the amount of time and money that I have if I didn't already know the lay of the land. Thanks for attempting to walk me through that, though.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Yeah, I was just a little unclear on the intent of the article.

But for future record: I'm keenly aware of how rarity and lack thereof play into the value of things on the retro gaming market. I've been buying and selling retro games and consoles for over a decade now, and I wouldn't have invested the amount of time and money that I have if I didn't already know the lay of the land. Thanks for attempting to walk me through that, though.

I was unaware that you were actually in the market. I've thought about it but never stepped foot so the ideas were just presented as I thought of them. They were not intended as a way of showing you how things worked (I assume someone with the intellect of yourself would have known this, even without being in the retro-tech trading field) but rather carrying on a conversation and expressing the thoughts as to why I felt the numbers that they were presenting were as flawed as you said they were.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

I'm not in the market, per say- it's just sort of a side-hustle on eBay that I started back in college to make extra money. I mainly collect for myself these days, but every now and then I'll hop on something that I know is going to end up accumulating some major value (particularly limited-print niche titles and elaborate collector's editions). For instance, as soon as Nintendo dropped that amazing steel-book Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, I immediately bought 10 of those suckers knowing they were going to end up being worth some change. And sure enough, within less than year, they went from $50 to well over $190.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

I'm not in the market, per say- it's just sort of a side-hustle on eBay that I started back in college to make extra money. I mainly collect for myself these days, but every now and then I'll hop on something that I know is going to end up accumulating some major value (particularly limited-print niche titles and elaborate collector's editions). For instance, as soon as Nintendo dropped that amazing steel-book Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, I immediately bought 10 of those suckers knowing they were going to end up being worth some change. And sure enough, within less than year, they went from $50 to well over $190.

Impressive. Have you ever been approached to acquire specific things for fellow gamers? I ask only to see if there was an instance where you had gained something for the intent of unloading it at a marked up price, only to become too attached to let go of it. This happened to me with a bunch of my comic card sets from when I was younger. I purchased a few complete sets only for the hopes that the price would inflate in time and I can't think of getting rid of them today, even if the market was more than favorable.

DRG hates everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    Impressive. Have you ever been approached to acquire specific things for fellow gamers? I ask only to see if there was an instance where you had gained something for the intent of unloading it at a marked up price, only to become too attached to let go of it. This happened to me with a bunch of my comic card sets from when I was younger. I purchased a few complete sets only for the hopes that the price would inflate in time and I can't think of getting rid of them today, even if the market was more than favorable.
    Kind of sort of. There's this South American guy that I met through an eBay transaction whom I periodically procure games for and then ship to him, because he apparently doesn't have access to all of the titles that us North Americans have. Once every month or two he e-mails me a list of 4 to 6 games that he's looking for, and if I'm able to get them (which I usually am) then I apply a reasonable mark-up and he's happy to pay. Quite a nice little arrangement, actually. I'm not getting rich doing it, but I make enough for special nights out with my girl, and I'm helping a fellow gamer in the process.

I've also had friends come to me looking to get a game they can't find anywhere, and they're often pretty shocked to find out just how much some of them go for. Like, a couple of weeks ago, a good buddy of mine inquired about a sealed copy of Mega Man Legends 2 for the PSone that I've got, and the look on his face when I told him it was $400 (which doesn't even include my mark-up) was all kinds of hilarious.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Kind of sort of. There's this South American guy that I met through an eBay transaction whom I periodically procure games for and then ship to him, because he apparently doesn't have access to all of the titles that us North Americans have. Once every month or two he e-mails me a list of 4 to 6 games that he's looking for, and if I'm able to get them (which I usually am) then I apply a reasonable mark-up and he's happy to pay. Quite a nice little arrangement, actually. I'm not getting rich doing it, but I make enough for special nights out with my girl, and I'm helping a fellow gamer in the process.

I've also had friends come to me looking to get a game they can't find anywhere, and they're often pretty shocked to find out just how much some of them go for. Like, a couple of weeks ago, a good buddy of mine inquired about a sealed copy of Mega Man Legends 2 for the PSone that I've got, and the look on his face when I told him it was $400 (which doesn't even include my mark-up) was all kinds of hilarious.

That is a very fortunate arrangement for both parties it seems.

And I can understand your friends reaction as I had a similar one when I decided I was going to look for an original 2600. I was taken back a bit (this was 10 years ago when I looked into it) at just how high the prices can be for the games, let alone an actual system. It's no wonder why some people who are just catching onto this think that their beat up NES system that hasn't worked in 20 years is worth thousands of dollars when they hear stories without understand the concept of what is rare material versus what is just old material.

What was your most profitable venture if you don't mind me asking?

DRG hates everyone

Word that Saints Row 4 runs like shit on consoles is a little disconcerting.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    What was your most profitable venture if you don't mind me asking?
    On an individual item? Probably the $1,200 I made on a factory-sealed Collector's Edition of Ocarina of Time (of which I still have one).

Back in 2002, I drunkenly ended up at a Walmart late one night with a friend, and I came across a box of clearance copies of Conker's Bad Fur Day for $1 a game. Bought all 8 copies, and I've still got 6 of them. Last I checked, they were going upwards of $250, so I probably have a windfall coming there, too (should I ever bring myself to part with them).

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Monday is going to be the longest day ever.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.

Blog Entries
    Word that Saints Row 4 runs like shit on consoles is a little disconcerting.
    I'm really hoping that's just bullshit, I want my Presidential Saint action!

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.