Blog Entries

Post Leben suspended for one year after failing ufc® 138 drug test!!

From the UFC main page; Chris Leben was suspended after his loss to Mark Nunoz @ UFC 138. Here's what the site had to say:

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (“the UFC®”), today released information stating that middleweight fighter Chris Leben tested positive for Oxycodone and Oxymorphone following his Nov. 5 loss to Mark Munoz in the main event of UFC® 138 in Birmingham, England. As a result of the positive test, Leben will be suspended from fighting for one (1) year.
    Dana White had this to say:

“I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year, if he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life.”
    Chris Leben responded with this:

“I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts, I’m learning that I’m my own worst enemy sometimes. I can’t succeed in the Octagon or in life behaving this way. I’ve got to make some real changes over the next year and I’m going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I’m sorry to the UFC and fans that’ve supported me since my days on The Ultimate Fighter.”
    The remaining 19 fighters on the UFC® 138 card all passed their post fight drug tests.

Again, this is all off the UFC website: http://www.ufc.com

Thoughts on this?

Personally I like Leben, he has a good chin and a lethal left. It sucks he's suspended for prescription - (I believe) - narcotic painkillers like Oxycontin (oxycodone) - heck I take these - the Oxymorphone can't be found by Web MD, but I would hazard a guess that it's a generic form of morphine in pill form. ( of which I have morphine pills as well ), for various aches and pains. I guess getting old isn't all bad, at least we have legal drug dealers. Anyway, at least Dana's willing to offer him help.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

Blog Entries
    Leben is lucky that he wasn't cut. At least he is willing to admit he needs help. Hope he comes back strong

Blog Entries
    I agree to an extent with the UFC's decision to suspend Leben from competing. He was on drugs, so he deserved it. I just think that an entire year is too long of a suspension for this. I personally would say suspend him for 6 months if he agreed to go to rehab and the whole year if he refused. That way it twists Leben's arm to get the help he obviously needs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot-Hair View Post
    I agree to an extent with the UFC's decision to suspend Leben from competing. He was on drugs, so he deserved it. I just think that an entire year is too long of a suspension for this. I personally would say suspend him for 6 months if he agreed to go to rehab and the whole year if he refused. That way it twists Leben's arm to get the help he obviously needs.
    I agree, and glad he wasn't outright cut from the roster. I think the reason for a year suspension is for treatment and to see if he could stay clean for a whole year. Most relapses occur within one year after treatment. A person that can stay clean for a whole year stands a better chance of staying clean than someone who is fresh out of treatment. But I'd like to see him compete also.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

I would say if the refuses rehab or treatment (which it doesn't look like he will, seems like he realizes he messed up and needs help and more power to him) then he should be cut. This isn't his first suspension and there are plenty of people who would gladly move into his spot. But since he has admitted his problem and sounds like he is going to seek help then good for him and I'm glad they are giving him another chance. That's how I would run the company too, help those who want help because it is a hard lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ PUNK View Post
    I'll third that. Angelina looks like a heroin addict. Her skin is more leathery than Hogans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot-Hair View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; Instead of Chyna concentrating on getting back into wrestling she needs to concentrate on getting that 8 inch she-bean that she has hanging between her legs removed...

He was really sloppy in that match vs. Munoz, tanked waaay too early in the piece and now we know why. Hopefully he can get his shit together and come back strong and focused, cause with that he'll be a hell of a fighter.

Blog Entries
    Am I surprised? Not really. Dissapointed? A bit - Leben is pretty much always a good fight. Do I think he can come back after a year off? Doubtful.

Be nice to be surprised though.