Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Sports Celebrations

So celebrating in sports, has it gone to far? is it pointless?

I'm making this inspired by something I saw on the halftime show, of the Sunday Night Football game last night

alright so what is an acceptable celebration? personally to me, a good celebration, should be quick, legal, non attention seeking, and maybe even original sometime.

but here's what I hate, I hate guys, who come in to a sport, and just seek attention, by doing celebrations, that are obviously being done, just so they can get their 15 minutes of fame on sports center, like this one for instance

Tony Scheffler here, is obviously, an unheard of player for the most part, so the only reason, it makes sense that he would do this for, is he wanted people to notice him, he wanted to get noticed by the people of sports Center, and have his 25 minutes of fame, and now, what happens because of this? now when youtube his name, the first thing that comes up will be this exact Touchdown catch

now what about this one?

yes, the world wide phenomenon of "Tebowing" this one got A LOT, of speculation on it, but personally, I actually think this is a great Celebration, quick, original, and legal, yes it did get noticed, a lot, but I have no problem with this one

now let me go back to some people who were upset about this particular celebration, if you didn't know, Tim Tebow, is very well known, for being a strong christian, leading to this celebration, which I don't mind at all, and Tebow himself didn't even mind it, so I think this is an okay celebration

now lets move on to another one

now here you'll see Stevie Johnson, mimicking Plaxico Burress, (and in case you don't understand the celebration, Plaxico Burress was arrested a few years ago, for being at a night club with a gun in his position, and "accidentally" shot himself in the leg) but back to the celebration, I absolutely hate this one, not only is this illegal, but it's attention seeking, and honestly, annoying, and not only that, but because this was illegal, it drew a flag, which forced the bills to kickoff from the 20, rather than the 35, and in all honesty, this play may have costed the bills that game, as following that, the Jets, went down the field and scored before half time, which may not have happened, had Stevie Johnson, not done this

not to mention.... this isn't the first time Stevie Johnson has costed, the Bills a game

Just thought I'd throw that in there, while I can still add 1 more vid

anyway, what is your take on these celebrations? what is a good celebration in your eyes? and what isn't?

Blog Entries
    Doing a celebration in sports isn't pointless. Just a bit of fun or moment where you can go batshit insane lol

I'm more for tradition celebrations like what Robbie Keane does with his rolling or Lua Lua with his backflips.
    Makes them a remembral

Not really sure about players who take there shirt off to celebrate since it gets them warned or sent off now but maybe to reveal a message like Ian Wright did when he score the record number or Ballotelli with 'Why always me?' shirts.
    Kissing the badge is another great celebration aslong as you're not against a team you used to play for.

In short. They're mostly fun and great to watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHooliganX View Post
    Doing a celebration in sports isn't pointless. Just a bit of fun or moment where you can go batshit insane lol

I'm more for tradition celebrations like what Robbie Keane does with his rolling or Lua Lua with his backflips.
    Makes them a remembral

Not really sure about players who take there shirt off to celebrate since it gets them warned or sent off now but maybe to reveal a message like Ian Wright did when he score the record number or Ballotelli with 'Why always me?' shirts.
    Kissing the badge is another great celebration aslong as you're not against a team you used to play for.

In short. They're mostly fun and great to watch
    I like seeing celebrations as well, but what is the limit of it? when is it going to far?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broc View Post
    I like seeing celebrations as well, but what is the limit of it? when is it going to far?
    Well in NFL I believe theres a rules that says you're not allowed any celebrations that go on your knees excluding praying cause I remember me seeing that discussion on NFL Network when I could get it.

Whilst in the premier league you cannot take your shirt off or run into the crowd without getting a yellow card for safety reasons or some shit.
    So going over the rules in place is a start really but i'm thinking certain ones where you're provoking the opposite teams fans is a no-no due to respect.
    Disrespectful celebrations shouldn't happen I guess in whole. All I can think of atm anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHooliganX View Post
    Well in NFL I believe theres a rules that says you're not allowed any celebrations that go on your knees excluding praying cause I remember me seeing that discussion on NFL Network when I could get it.

Whilst in the premier league you cannot take your shirt off or run into the crowd without getting a yellow card for safety reasons or some shit.
    So going over the rules in place is a start really but i'm thinking certain ones where you're provoking the opposite teams fans is a no-no due to respect.
    Disrespectful celebrations shouldn't happen I guess in whole. All I can think of atm anyway.
    the rule basically is, if you go to the ground it's illegal

but one thing that bothers me is, if someone does a flip, and lands it, it's completely legal, but when you do a flip and fall, it's a penalty

Blog Entries
    Some celerations are justified
    IE
    When Billy Sharp scored 3 days after his sons death he paid tribute to him
    Prediction Contest Podiums:
    Extreme Rules: 1st (Perfect Score)
    Payback: 3rd

CGBigMan - The Football Manager

EWNCW - Gillz:
    Superstar of the Year (2011)
    World Heavyweight Champion Aug 29th (11) - Oct 30th (11)
    EWNCW Champion Nov 28th (11) - Apr 16th (12)
    BWA Undisputed World Tag Champions Feb 19th (12) - March 18th (12) (With Ryan Wells)

WWE Fed - Manik:
    Royal Rumble Entrant

Quote Originally Posted by Broc View Post
    this is going too far

but some are funny

I don't really care about celebrations...but if you're going to say one of them is seeking attention, then they're all seeking attention. The Stevie Johnson one was hilarious though. I mean if you're stupid enough to shoot yourself in the foot, you deserve to get taunted for it.

Keep in mind the Tebow one wasn't in any respect for Tim Tebow, they were mocking him.

How is Tony Scheffler unknown? I know who the guy is...mostly because he's always floating around in the Free Agents on Madden...but there wasn't anything wrong about it, I thought it was funny. He was just poking fun at the team he was facing...

I personally think TD celebrations shouldn't have an in game impact, because they're always occurring after the play was over. A fine I can agree with, but the penalty rule is stupid. I think that the Jets would've drove down the field on them anyways, Bills don't have anything special on defense, and they didn't have anything go too well in the game either.

Although Stevie Johnson smells anyways...maybe he shot himself in the hand earlier, and that's why he can't catch a damn ball that's thrown to him. And hey, I'm not complaining about that dropped pass in the OT game last year...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I don't really care about celebrations...but if you're going to say one of them is seeking attention, then they're all seeking attention. The Stevie Johnson one was hilarious though. I mean if you're stupid enough to shoot yourself in the foot, you deserve to get taunted for it.

Keep in mind the Tebow one wasn't in any respect for Tim Tebow, they were mocking him.

How is Tony Scheffler unknown? I know who the guy is...mostly because he's always floating around in the Free Agents on Madden...but there wasn't anything wrong about it, I thought it was funny. He was just poking fun at the team he was facing...

I personally think TD celebrations shouldn't have an in game impact, because they're always occurring after the play was over. A fine I can agree with, but the penalty rule is stupid. I think that the Jets would've drove down the field on them anyways, Bills don't have anything special on defense, and they didn't have anything go too well in the game either.

Although Stevie Johnson smells anyways...maybe he shot himself in the hand earlier, and that's why he can't catch a damn ball that's thrown to him. And hey, I'm not complaining about that dropped pass in the OT game last year...
    When I said Tony Scheffler was unknown, I meant he doesn't get much exposure, which, is likely why he did that celebration in the first place

as far as Tebow goes, I think it was all in good sport by the Lions, I mean yeah they're mocking him, but it was all in fair play, which even Tebow didn't have a problem with