The Trinity
    Blog Entries

What Defines a Good Quarterback

so in your opinion what describes a good NFL quarterback? to me it was usually about winning but recently I found a flaw in that theory, now I honestly think that it is a huge combination of things, 1 of those things is winning but really that's not the only thing because winning an NFL game revolves around more than just the QB, you also have to have a good all around team, and a good coaching staff.

clutch is also a big thing in my book the QBs who can get it done in the biggest moments are the ones that stick out to me.

stats are obviously important as well, because that is how you can evaluate QBs compared to the rest,

not making mistakes is a big one as well, you see QBs like Tony Romo who overall can put up some good numbers but he makes too many mistakes for you to notice how well he was doing before the mistakes start to happen, you also see it in Tim Tebow, the guy obviously has talent but it just seems he doesn't have the mechanics to play quarterback in the NFL, he takes way to long to throw the ball and doesn't know when to take a sack or throw the ball away, which brings me to the next thing, awareness

awareness is definitely very important for a good QB to have, you see people like Ben Roethlisberger who just get it when it comes to awareness of when to take a sack, and when to try to force a pass, and when to throw the ball away, I'm not trying to be biased because I'm a steeler fan but this is the way I feel on that. now there are also a good bit of QBs who don't have the awareness to know these things, you see guys like Romo, Tebow, Orton, Henne, and Cutler, who definitely have the talent to be a good QB but just don't understand when to take a sack, or when to force a pass, or when to throw it away.

so what do you guys think, what is the most important thing a QB has to do to be considered elite?

I'm going to sway a little off topic here, but what really pisses me off when people try to put down Roethlisberger, is that he "Holds onto the ball too long". He barely does this, and it usually only happens in games that we're already struggling in. The WRs aren't getting open, so he isn't going to take a risk and throw an interception.

"Ben get's sacked too much" first of all, if the QB's getting hit...that's the O-lines fault, second of all, Ben KNOWS when he needs to go down, and when he should throw the ball away. He's made great decisions doing both of those things, and we've all seen some awesome plays where Ben barely get's rid of the ball. Then, was it...in the game against Arizona, where Ben took the sack to keep the clock going? I'm pretty sure it was against one of those AFC South games.

A good Quarterback is somebody who can win games, can make big plays when it's necessary, isn't flashy, doesn't whine or complain, and can play his best, even when they're going through a tough time. Brady...OK...he's got the accuracy of a hawk, and he can put up stats, but each and every one of his Superbowls mean nothing to me, because I feel he never earned them. If they won in 2007, maybe...but they didn't.

A good Quarterback is someone who can lead his team on his shoulders, and literally carry them back into a game, and win it all. Someone who is always playing, and even when the rest of the team has given up, shows to be visibly carrying the entire team.

A good Quarterback, is someone who is on the team you love, and can make you excited by making big plays. In reality, a good Quarterback, has to be someone that only you think is a good Quarterback. Someone that is wearing your colors.

In tha North Town, making "That Money Money...Yeah Yeah...That Money Money...Yeah Yeah"!!!
    1. Leadership - A QB should always be the captain of the offense and be the on field coach for the team when out on the field
    Peyton Manning

2. Accruracy - A QB should be able to put the ball where only his receiver can catch it
    Drew Brees

3. Toughness - A QB should be able to shrug off some big hits and make the plays as if nothing is wrong with him even if he has an injury
    Ben Rothlisberger

4. A Great Offesive Line - Even a great QB can look like shit if he has no time in the pocket to let plays develope
    Tom Brady

5. The Ability to Scramble in the Pocket - Even the best offensive line can't hold everybody back, the QB must be able to get out of the pocket or tuck the ball and run up the field when it is needed
    Aaron Rodgers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the top 5 things that in my opinion make a great Quarterback and the Quarterbacks I think best show my definitions

"I am my own worst enemy, I'm not the smartest mutha fucka n shit and I don't pretend to be."

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPY LOCO1 View Post
    1. Leadership - A QB should always be the captain of the offense and be the on field coach for the team when out on the field
    Peyton Manning

2. Accruracy - A QB should be able to put the ball where only his receiver can catch it
    Drew Brees

3. Toughness - A QB should be able to shrug off some big hits and make the plays as if nothing is wrong with him even if he has an injury
    Ben Rothlisberger

4. A Great Offesive Line - Even a great QB can look like shit if he has no time in the pocket to let plays develope
    Tom Brady

5. The Ability to Scramble in the Pocket - Even the best offensive line can't hold everybody back, the QB must be able to get out of the pocket or tuck the ball and run up the field when it is needed
    Aaron Rodgers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the top 5 things that in my opinion make a great Quarterback and the Quarterbacks I think best show my definitions
    This really turned out great, you gave nearly every good point, and examples. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPY LOCO1 View Post
    Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Ben Rothlisberger

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

I was gonna make my own list, but yours sums it up pretty good, so I am just gonna go with what you said

Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"

^
    ah, Renee Young