Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234 12 52 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly-Pablo View Post
    Er nope....that, my friend, was 'invented' or rather accidentally discovered by the one and only Sir Alexander Fleming, who was Scottish - he discovered it in the hospital just round the corner from London Paddington train station (St Mary's I think) - if you go there, you'll see the plaque directs you to the exact room (2nd floor, last window along) where it happened....

Sorry to piss on your strawberries Rob....
    Yeah well spotted, I didn't even see that in there! Aaah, that's what you get for cutting and pasting! My bad. Even I knew that. And it was my blueberries you pissed on haha

Blog Entries
    Yes, just discovered this footnote on wiki

The development of penicillin for use as a medicine is attributed to the Australian Nobel laureate Howard Walter Florey together with the German Nobel laureate Ernst Chain and the English biochemist Norman Heatley.

Blog Entries
    Is that Chopper Reid fella still alive? I remember you had a thread for him.

Don't forget you invented vegemite!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cranium View Post
    Is that Chopper Reid fella still alive? I remember you had a thread for him.
    Yeah Chopper is still kickin', though living a much quieter and heavily medicated life these days

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Fucking oath! And do you know how it's made? It's the yeast extract leftover after making beer - so we'll never run out! It's definetly an aquired taste, but so is Marmite and Promite and other 'mites'. I eat it regularly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Lol, a vegemite sandwich - Men at Work

You are also responsible, as a nation, for this man....

Thank you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cranium View Post
    Lol, a vegemite sandwich - Men at Work
    Ha! Can't stand the stuff myself! Or marmite

Here you go Rob, I'll help you with a couple more; you also invented:

The clapperboard (as used in film making)
    The Black Box Flight Recorder!

Blog Entries

More (cut & paste) Facts

Sir John Robertson, five times premier of New South Wales, drank a pint of rum every morning for 35 years.

In 1954, Bob Hawke was immortalised by the Guinness Book of Records for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds. Bob later became the Prime Minister of Australia.

Convicts were not sent to Australia for serious crimes. Serious crimes, such as murder, rape, or impersonating an Egyptian were given the death sentence in England.

Crimes punishable by transportation included recommending that politicians get paid, starting a union, stealing fish from a river or pond, embezzlement, receiving or buying stolen goods, setting fire to underwood, petty theft, or being suspected of supporting Irish terrorism.

Alcohol- It has been reported that the first European settlers in Australia drank more alcohol per head of population than any other community in the history of mankind.

The Fierce Snake or Inland Taipan has the most toxic venom of any snake. Maximum yield recorded (for one bite) is 110mg. That would probably be enough to kill over 100 people or 250,000 mice.

The Wombat deposits square poos on logs, rocks and even upright sticks that it uses tomark its territory.

A 10kg Tasmanian Devil is able to exert the same biting pressure as a 40kg dog. It can also eat almost a third of its body weight in a single feeding.

A kangaroo being chased by a dog may jump into a dam. If the dog gives chase, the kangaroo may turn towards the dog, then use its paws to push the dogs head underwater in order to drown it.

Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that reason.