Page 1 of 53 123 11 51 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Robstar's Awesome Things About Australia

For the uninitiated, I thought I'd make this thread to share my home country with those who might be interested. It's bound to be a mish-mash of facts, clips and uniquely Aussie things that appeal to me and give a better representation of Australia than any marketing campaign you'll find out there.

Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    For the uninitiated, I thought I'd make this thread to share my home country with those who might be interested. It's bound to be a mish-mash of facts, clips and uniquely Aussie things that appeal to me and give a better representation of Australia than any marketing campaign you'll find out there.

Hope you enjoy it.
    Would do if there was anything here.......*watches tumbleweed blow across screen* hmmm

Blog Entries
    It's just the audio track, but is one of my all time favourite tracks;

And some more Cold Chisel...

Yep it doesn't get much more Aussie than a bit of Chisel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly-Pablo View Post
    Would do if there was anything here.......*watches tumbleweed blow across screen* hmmm
    Oh Polly, you're so impatient!

Blog Entries

Wink Awesome Facts About Australia

Australia is approximately the same size as the 48 mainland states in the USA and 50 percent larger than Europe which makes it the sixth largest country in the world it also has the lowest population density in the world with an average of only two people per square kilometre.

The coastline in Australia stretches for almost 50,000 kilometres and is joined by well over 10,000 beaches, more than any other country in the world.

More than 85% of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast which makes the beach a very important part of their lifestyle.

Australia is the only nation to govern an entire continent it is also the largest island in the world but the smallest and flattest continent.
    Native Aboriginal people are believed to be the world's oldest civilization and have lived on the continent for over 50,000 years. They invented the boomerang, they were the first society to ground edges on stone cutting tools and the first to use stone tools to grind seeds.

The black box flight recorder for aircraft was invented in Australia in 1958 by the Aeronautical research scientist David Warren.

Melbourne
    was formerly called Batmania, after one of its founders John Batman.

Australia's first police force
    was created from a group of 12 of their best behaved convicts.

Australians called the English pommies
    from the initials POME on convicts uniforms. These initials stood for Prisoners of Mother England.

Australian inventions include things like the surf lifesaving reel, notepads, aspirin, the pacemaker, Hills Hoist clothesline, plastic disposable syringes, wine casks, the bionic ear, dual flush toilet and long-wearing contact lenses. *fixed for accuracy(thanks Polly)

Jeebus, I didn't even know that - syringes and wine casks - beauty mate!

Last edited by Robstar; 10-19-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Oh Polly, you're so impatient!

Blog Entries

And it wouldn't be Aussie without a bit of Hoges (Paul Hogan to you)

Blog Entries
    Boooo! You include Peter Garrett but no INXS or AC/DC?

Blog Entries
    Dude! Give a guy a chance! Oh, you're all also welcome to post stuff you like about Australia too

My intention is to post things most people might not have heard or seen. INXS and Acca Dacca do not fall into that category immediately

Australia is approximately the same size as the 48 mainland states in the USA and 50 percent larger than Europe which makes it the sixth largest country in the world it also has the lowest population density in the world with an average of only two people per square kilometre.

The coastline in Australia stretches for almost 50,000 kilometres and is joined by well over 10,000 beaches, more than any other country in the world.

More than 85% of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast which makes the beach a very important part of their lifestyle.

Australia is the only nation to govern an entire continent it is also the largest island in the world but the smallest and flattest continent.
    Native Aboriginal people are believed to be the world's oldest civilization and have lived on the continent for over 50,000 years. They invented the boomerang, they were the first society to ground edges on stone cutting tools and the first to use stone tools to grind seeds.

The black box flight recorder for aircraft was invented in Australia in 1958 by the Aeronautical research scientist David Warren.

Melbourne
    was formerly called Batmania, after one of its founders John Batman.

Australia's first police force
    was created from a group of 12 of their best behaved convicts.

Australians called the English pommies
    from the initials POME on convicts uniforms. These initials stood for Prisoners of Mother England.

Australian inventions include things like the surf lifesaving reel, notepads, aspirin, the pacemaker, penicillin, Hills Hoist clothesline, plastic disposable syringes, wine casks, the bionic ear, dual flush toilet and long-wearing contact lenses.

Jeebus, I didn't even know that - syringes and wine casks - beauty mate!

Er nope....that, my friend, was 'invented' or rather accidentally discovered by the one and only Sir Alexander Fleming, who was Scottish - he discovered it in the hospital just round the corner from London Paddington train station (St Mary's I think) - if you go there, you'll see the plaque directs you to the exact room (2nd floor, last window along) where it happened....

Sorry to piss on your strawberries Rob....

Although, in fairness, Howard Florey (australian) was the first to actively invent a dosage for future use
    Last edited by Polly-Pablo; 10-19-2011 at 06:28 PM.