View Poll Results: What Makes The Best Kind Of Champion/Fighter?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • The ability to hold out and win on points?

0 0%
  • Aggressively seeking to finish the fight?

3 27.27%
  • A mixture of both?

5 45.45%
  • Something else? (suggest)

3 27.27%
    Blog Entries

Question What Makes A Great Champion???

What, in your mind, makes a better type of champion/fighter?

Is it the willingness to mix it up and take the risk of getting clocked or falling prey to a quick submission in order to attempt to finish an opponent and not, as they say, leave it in the hands of the judges?

Is it the ability to hold an opponent out and do enough to win rounds with a gameplan, believing that your skill alone will be enough to get you through?

I was musing over this while watching some old MMA and saw how styles have changed drastically over (short) time, how some fighters start out one way and adapt to another and how some fighters have had their whole attitudes and careers defined and forever changed by one big fight. For example, is BJ Penn the same fighter he once was since back to back losses to Frankie Edgar? How will Josh Koscheck evolve as a fighter after being beaten by GSP? Will he ever even be the same and can he get better or is his only hope for being as good as GSP is when GSP loses some edge?
    I see MMA becoming increasingly a sport for younger fighters like Jon Jones, who save years off their careers by having the benefit of not having to make the same mistakes that others have made and are able to build on the skills already developed in MMA, a constantly evolving sport.

Thoughts?

As the first person to vote I have supreme authority. (or at least the internet trolls think being first matters)

I think its about going for the KO/Tap/TKO.
    I will never forget you, CBot. You will always be my one true love.

Blog Entries
    I think it's a mixture of both. A person wants to try to finish the fight so it don't go to the judges, but in a smart way and not leaving yourself open to get submitted or KO'd. But if you just try to out point an opponent, it could be viewed as weakness and fear in the sense that you doubt your own finishing abilities and it could work against you in the judges hands. One can't control what the judges are basing their criteria on. Do your best to finish, be aggressive but smart, follow a game plan and study your opponent.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

Blog Entries
    There's another issue entirely - the judges. As Joe Rogan has openly stated many times, it's ridiculous that MMA is forced to use what amounts to boxing judges, or actually really just deputised representatives of a given state's athletic commission. MMA should have it's own commission and judges

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    There's another issue entirely - the judges. As Joe Rogan has openly stated many times, it's ridiculous that MMA is forced to use what amounts to boxing judges, or actually really just deputised representatives of a given state's athletic commission. MMA should have it's own commission and judges
    I completely agree with this. MMA should have it's own commission and judges. The best bet would be to finish the fight, but if you can't finish at least you should dominate the fight so there is no question about the outcome.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

A mix of both going for the knockout/submission and playing safe. It's nice to have some highlight reels while being champ, but you have to take care of yourself.

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

I'm coming at this from the point of watching MMA from when Brock started so forgive my ignorance. I don't know a great deal about how fights used to go so I'll stay away from them. I think you have to go all out and try to finish. I mean, I look at GSP and the kid really frustrates me. He was battering Dan Hardy, who GSP couldn't make tap. Instead of praising Hardy, we should be looking and saying, why didn't he finish him? He should've knocked him out as he should Koscheck and Shields.

Then I watch someone like Silva and he just goes out to destroy you. There was that one shocking fight for Silva when he tried to embarrass Maia and that was totally wrong. Aside from that error, he always looks to go out and batter everyone. People said he shouldn't stand up with Belfort and in the words of Joe Rogan: FRONT KICK TO THE FACE! From what I've now seen of previous fighters like Liddell and Ortiz, they tried to knock everyone out and for me, that's what champs should do. I put Bones in that category too, quality and looks to end your evening quickly.

It's not about the winning or losing...it's about having the guts to try and giving it your all....in my view anyway

Blog Entries
    I would add that its having a great gameplan going in. One needs to study his opponents and strive to be the best in every fighting discipline there is.