View RSS Feed

Snowman

Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?

Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Randy Orton said something interesting this past week on ESPN.com. He said Cena would “own” The Rock. He said “…I think Cena is 10 times the performer in the ring that The Rock is. This Monday in Chicago, he’ll prove it.”

Most of us scoffed at the idea. After all, John Cena is nowhere near the league of The Rock, that’s partially why we all hate him. But last Monday, John Cena came out and did a shoot promo on The Rock, telling The Rock that Rock hates him because he wears the wrong colors, listens to the wrong music etc. and most surprising that his audience is kids. But Cena is damn proud of that was tells The Rock if he has any legitimate concerns about him not working his tail to the bone to further this business they have something to talk about. If not, who is The Rock to judge him?

It was a really good promo, even better considering it came from MR. Vanilla John Cena. But The Rock is the best promo guy in the history of the WWE, he’ll set Cena straight, it’s been years it’s finally time the people had a champion (no pun intended) to explain to Cena why exactly we all hate him.

And The Rock basically says the equivalent of: “Oh yea? Well I’m gonna whoop your ass!” …Really? What…what just happened? Where’s the classic Rock comeback? Where’s the long list of legitimate problems The Rock and the people have with Cena? Just off the top of my head he could have said that the people judge him, and the people are not entertained. Or he could have said that he left out one thing: that he’s untalented and does not deserve to be the top guy. The Rock could have said ANYTHING except what he said which was nothing.

For the next few hours I just sat here, stunned and checking updates on this site. There had to be an explanation. The Rock can’t just get owned by Cena. That’s like Santino Marella outshining Stone Cold Steve Austin. That doesn’t happen. The Rock is the best promo guy ever. He can’t just have nothing. Was Randy Orton right? Is Cena really better?

But then it hit me: The problem The Rock and the people have with Cena isn’t something that can be broadcast to the world on WWE television. John Cena is their top guy and Vince McMahon is the reason for that. The Rock can’t go out there and shoot on Cena and say he’s not talented, he’s overrated, his 5 moves he only ever does, his super hero gimmick, his pandering to children, his plain boring 1980′s babyface persona, his corporate ass kissing, his watered down presentation, his bad attempt to be funny, his inability to wrestle, etc. etc. etc. The Rock isn’t going to stick around. Even if he were, the WWE is PG now and is not a habitable place for people like The Rock anymore. The Rock can’t basically go onto a sitcom, expose the lead character for being the absolute horrid thing he is, and then leave and hope that the show can continue with it’s now buried lead performer.

But if this is truly what happened, that leaves a number of unsettling problems. 1, Cena is an major tool for acting like he punked out The Rock, giving him that straight face when he damn well knows he’s got the boss on his side and The Rock can’t do anything about it. You don’t go out there and shoot on someone when their hands are tied. It’s a major dick move. And I hate Cena because of his spot in the company, not so much him as a person. But if Cena knows The Rock can’t hit Cena back, the way Cena acted makes me dislike him as a person now too. And 2, if these legitimate gripes with Cena can’t be brought up as more than jokes, by even someone of the Rock’s caliber, then the WWE is really owned by John Cena and nothing will ever change that. Cena will continue being this super overrated lead of the company and Vince will never allow anything on his show to challenge him.

I have no problems with PG shows. If that’s the point of them. John Cena and WWE PG is as if I were watching Dexter and halfway through the season Big Bird came in and the entire show changed. But this isn’t Sesame Street. It’s Dexter. Same way John Cena running WWEPG is not WWE (WWF). When the Rock originally debuted he was Rocky Maivia, A super chipper smiling one dimensional babyface who did everything short of hugging babies. Does that sound familiar? And how did the fans react? Well, it was the beginning of the Attitude Era. The fans HATED him. They chanted Die Rocky Die and Rocky Sucks. This was supposed to be their big babyface star! But what did The Rock do? He changed, became a bad guy and took that reaction and fed off it, and bettered himself as a performer. Now The Rock is one of the greatest of all time. John Cena didn’t debut that way, he eventually had a rapper gimmick that naturally got him popular, but then he did a reverse and became the super chipper smiling one dimensional babyface. Because now there was an audience for that-children. Anyone over 12 and anyone who remembers the Attitude Era or the ECW revolution hates him. But because he’s so over with kids, he watered himself down, comes out every night, does his unfunny safe promos, does his 5 moves, and leaves. He will never become great if he does not have any reason to push himself to be. The Rock coming back, made Cena entertaining for a few weeks. It pushed him to be better. But now with Vince, WWEPG and kids behind him, he really has no reason to be. I feel like, WWE will never have the next big star like The Rock and Austin, because this environment is inhospitable to them. And if that’s the case, I really have no reason to watch it anymore either.

Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to Digg Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All this talk of over and under selling reminds me of this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyN5sAShqOA
    Quote Originally Posted by Clikka
    .....Wow.....I have read alot of blogs and listened to alot of opinions that i strongly disagree with but none of them had me laughing and slapping my forehead as much as this. Snowman, you can't honestly believe that after these promo's they go back stage and vince is hugging cena as he staunches forward as the rock hangs his head in shame and walks off thinking "oh if only vince wasn't there, i would give it to him so bad".............

Your blinded bud. After that promo, cena, rock, miz and probably even A-RYE! would have been told what a good job they had done before cena and miz were back out PERFORMING in the dark main event for the live viewers. You need to remember they are ENTERTAINERS! They come out an entertain, and from your blog i'd say you were highly entertained, you may not be happy, but definately entertained....to the point you went and wrote down every single thought you had on a 10 minute promo.

also............the rock responded with "only god can judge you" not the people and not the rock "but god aint gunna stop me whooping your a$$ all over chicago!"..............how is that in anyway rock showing any form of fear from VKM's wrath for putting down cena? the fact you even reference VKM in this promo wierds me out.......its stupid, its like saying "And yeah yeah!!! well, well miz is better than them all because he puts them all down and doesnt get held down by the man VKM"...........STUPID and CHILDISH!

You go on about pandering to the audience...........what do you want?!?!?! Every superstar to be heel, go out there swearing and telling everyone to go kill themselves (and as mentioned in a previous blog by another user) you would have "Im bigger and badder" vs "NO I AM" vs "NO ME!!!!!!!!!!!".......dumb dumb dumb, i always was fan of Lex luther....hated superman....but without superman....THERE WOULD BE NO COMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get my point?

Anyways i could keep knit picking but the only advise i can give so you dont stop watching wrestling for something you have convinced yourself of is......................its entertainment, Soapopera for the man.....wwe always has been (in the wwe, please dont carry on as i know ROH and other brands stay low on the story lines) entertainment, going back to the very first day raw started its been about colourful characters Vs great story lines = the greatest sports entertainment company in the world......................

So please again, dont give up because 1 fruity pebble gets to you, its a story, im sure cena and rock are discussing daily how they can better there match and ENTERTAIN us all on the greatest stage of them all...............

Couldn't have said it better myself @Clikka... my question is How old are some of you people?.... You sound really pathetic by judging what these guys do... bottom line is what Clikka said it is entertainment, a soap opera,something to induldge in and escape from a shitty day or something for a few hours....I am pretty sure you know it is not real as far as the stories go (I hope).....what happens backstage is all heresay until you have heard it from a reliable source and even then it is from a mid to low card character who has disdain for them anyway because they did not achieve the success that they wanted in WWE....again it is all escapism...for some of you grown ass hairy ass men to sit up and bitch and complain with your lips poked out about how many moves Cena has and how VKM owns the Rock and how the Rock's hands are tied is all complete and utter stupidity on your parts if you engage in this type of behavior.... Cena is here to stay because it is about the kids becasue VKM knows that he can sell more tickets to a PG event than to one that caters to adults(do the math a family of 4=4 tickets=at least $80 to $120 total vs. a single ticket for one adult at $20 to $40) simple economics 101.... so the reasoning is if you think about it kids don't give a shit about story lines and how many moves a person does....they just want to see the good guy get over and win and enjoy their popcorn..... and if some of you adults did the same thing you would probably enjoy it for what it's worth.......use common sense..god gave it to us ....its free
    Omg this is just stupid. You can't compare the both, they are in a COMPLETELY different time, with different audience, different format, different TV-rating.
    Thanks Knox and Rendall for the kind words ^_^

@MavLeeHill: Monday was thier big confrontation not for talk to be over. Cena addressed The Rock to his face and The Rock did not address Cena back

@Jayoholic and NaterD4: When's the last time you saw Cena do a headlock for example? He gets his ass beat, turnes into Super Cena and does his 5 moves and wins/some outside interference happens. Some wrestlers may go through a similar formula but not every match, they know and can do other moves. And Cena is the top guy so he should be expected to do more than coast through a match. RVD is one of my favorite wrestlers for example. That guy has forgotten more moves than Cena has in his repertoire. Cena matches are the exact same everytime. it's boring.

@Automatic:I'm assuming you just read the title or a few paragraphs and posted a comment

@rofecoxib22: I don't really understand what your point is. You seem to agree with me, that Cena is backed because it's PG. But you take offense to people taking offense to that? If you're fine and entertained by WWE that's good and well, but people like me are not. Your argument is that no one can critisize wrestling and we're pathetic and stupid if we do so. that doesn't make sense. I'd also note what Clikka said was it was a soap opera for MEN, not kids, but I digress.
    Come on, comparissons are valid in any part of life, People compares The Rock to Hogan eventhough the characters are very different and the only thing both really had i common was that they made movies at one point.

Same goes with Cena and The Rock.

Be clear that this does not come from a Cena Fan, I dos not like his character but really getting sick of everyone botching about Cena.

Is Cena that bad of a wreslter? No he is not, can't believe everyone keeps using the crappy argument of him using 5 moves when most faces and some heels, weather it is WWE or TNA, follow the same routine.

Just an example, How Many moves Randy Orton (who pretty much everyone idolizes) uses on his matches? Ussualy just his big spots: Rope DDT, powerslam, stomp, chlothesline and RKO or PRKO, 5 or 6, and tha tis about it, does that makes him less enternteaing? No.

Second, the thing with everyone who says John can wrestle is wrong, seriouls look for his old matches in youtube, the guy can go, and more than his lack of psychology, is that he uses wa old psychology, like 80s Hogan psychology, guy sells 90% of the match and all of the sudden no injuries and enter into a flurry of rage and wins the match, thing with that is that if done a lot, it can become and has become tiresome.

The thing with the promos is that he is funny to his target, the kids, which is fince since the company is trying to bring in the new fans with him, but is also tricky because some of them are now tennagers, and at some point they start to get bored by the same act, which has been the same since 2005.

The comparison with Superman is actually very accurate for Cena, because Superman was the same man for so many years, until he started to loose appealing and what happened? They killed him to get people hooked again. With Cena they tried that with the Nexus angle, but it blowed in their faces because they never knew how to close it properly.

Cena owned the Rock on Monday because that is what is supposed to happen, this feud is supposed to be carried as Equals, one from a previous era and the other in the current era, you can't put talen down like into buried them because of the lacking of wrestling abilities, because in that world you put down the character that is not the same that to put down the wrestler, and the Rock has done the right thing there, he has put down Cena's manerism and Code of values but not his ability o perform because it should be that way. I mean he can bury his character but not the man.

In the end they are doing it to put Cena on the map again, if you see through the lines that is the point, in the end to put him over big time, why? because in the end the character is good for people, it is boring most of the time because you have seen him in every sittuation ad come out on top but his message is clear and his Code is what every father would like his children to follow.
    I Think The Rock will say something after wrestlemania he ain't go down like that trust me. If people from the attitude era remember what Austin did to The Rock in wrestlemania 17 and The Rock was absent for about a month then comes back confronts Stone Cold and you all remember when they shook hands and The Rock tells him "The Rock Will Never Forget" then ROCK BOTTOM.

I totally agree with the post 100% just for the fact that Cena always brags about i gave my life for this business and i bust my ass for this business all that bullshit that he says cuz he wants to people to like him for every time he say's that....and Anti-Cena will never like that guy whether cenation likes it or not. There are other great talent there in the WWE but they don't brag about it like Cena always does come on people you need to realize that Cena really did take the E out of World Wrestling Entertainment.
    @rofecoxib22: I don't really understand what your point is. You seem to agree with me, that Cena is backed because it's PG. But you take offense to people taking offense to that? If you're fine and entertained by WWE that's good and well, but people like me are not. Your argument is that no one can critisize wrestling and we're pathetic and stupid if we do so. that doesn't make sense. I'd also note what Clikka said was it was a soap opera for MEN, not kids, but I digress.

You kinda took it to heart snowman.... I do agree with some of the things you said...but what i am targeting are those individuals who seriously can't seem to get beyond the point that Cena is the top guy and that he does the same moves all the time.... so my point to them is so what get over it... without a top guy people can't really connect...its like watching the ufc...unless brock,rampage, or some other entertaining character is involved then they lose a great amount of their audience from regular bouts (look at their last ppv buys since brock's loss)..... without the top guy or good vs evil gimmick then you are close to watching a technical match with about 20 headlocks and 100 submission moves (which don't get me wrong are very good moves) but not as impressive as watching a fight where there are ups and downs and someone almost getting their head knocked off....you see thats where Cena being the top guy comes into play...you need someone who can sell the idea of being an underdog at times, has conflicts, and by the end finds a way to overcome all of their inadequacies to triumph in the end.... am I a Cena mark... maybe a little but not by a long strectch....but honestly who could they use at this time that has as much charisma as he does and when i say charisma I mean someone who the audience (kids mostly and some teenagers and adults) can buy into their character and root for him to win.... Who would you pick to replace him?? Internet favorites---Morrison,Ziggler, Orton,Bourne(are these guys good yes, but they all with the exception of Orton at times need a little more time to fit into their mold) and just to prove my point Alberto Del Rio (love him or hate him) has been in the WWE for only a year and is going to be in a headlining match at Wrestlemania in comparison to Morrison,Ziggler,Orton(maybe) and Bourne.... so for now Cena is the guy and monday night he proved that he could go toe to toe with the Great One...not saying he is better than the Great One but he held his own.... if you think back remember when Hogan and the NWO came to WWE and the Rock did the Rock Bottom on ( I'm pretty sure a reluctant Hogan).... This Monday night was the same scenario....Cena is being passed the torch so to speak for the new era eventhough we may not like it but it is what it is .... a new era which is PG and a new audience... people have a choice nowadays too....if you don't like something then change the channel but I am willing to bet that if you come back in say a few years or so the PG audience will have grown up a bit and things around WWE will have shifted to a different gear (maybe the Attitude era part 2)....thanx for your intelligent post....keep us interested with your blogs and i hope to respond to another one soon...lol
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.