View RSS Feed

Snowman

Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?

Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Randy Orton said something interesting this past week on ESPN.com. He said Cena would “own” The Rock. He said “…I think Cena is 10 times the performer in the ring that The Rock is. This Monday in Chicago, he’ll prove it.”

Most of us scoffed at the idea. After all, John Cena is nowhere near the league of The Rock, that’s partially why we all hate him. But last Monday, John Cena came out and did a shoot promo on The Rock, telling The Rock that Rock hates him because he wears the wrong colors, listens to the wrong music etc. and most surprising that his audience is kids. But Cena is damn proud of that was tells The Rock if he has any legitimate concerns about him not working his tail to the bone to further this business they have something to talk about. If not, who is The Rock to judge him?

It was a really good promo, even better considering it came from MR. Vanilla John Cena. But The Rock is the best promo guy in the history of the WWE, he’ll set Cena straight, it’s been years it’s finally time the people had a champion (no pun intended) to explain to Cena why exactly we all hate him.

And The Rock basically says the equivalent of: “Oh yea? Well I’m gonna whoop your ass!” …Really? What…what just happened? Where’s the classic Rock comeback? Where’s the long list of legitimate problems The Rock and the people have with Cena? Just off the top of my head he could have said that the people judge him, and the people are not entertained. Or he could have said that he left out one thing: that he’s untalented and does not deserve to be the top guy. The Rock could have said ANYTHING except what he said which was nothing.

For the next few hours I just sat here, stunned and checking updates on this site. There had to be an explanation. The Rock can’t just get owned by Cena. That’s like Santino Marella outshining Stone Cold Steve Austin. That doesn’t happen. The Rock is the best promo guy ever. He can’t just have nothing. Was Randy Orton right? Is Cena really better?

But then it hit me: The problem The Rock and the people have with Cena isn’t something that can be broadcast to the world on WWE television. John Cena is their top guy and Vince McMahon is the reason for that. The Rock can’t go out there and shoot on Cena and say he’s not talented, he’s overrated, his 5 moves he only ever does, his super hero gimmick, his pandering to children, his plain boring 1980′s babyface persona, his corporate ass kissing, his watered down presentation, his bad attempt to be funny, his inability to wrestle, etc. etc. etc. The Rock isn’t going to stick around. Even if he were, the WWE is PG now and is not a habitable place for people like The Rock anymore. The Rock can’t basically go onto a sitcom, expose the lead character for being the absolute horrid thing he is, and then leave and hope that the show can continue with it’s now buried lead performer.

But if this is truly what happened, that leaves a number of unsettling problems. 1, Cena is an major tool for acting like he punked out The Rock, giving him that straight face when he damn well knows he’s got the boss on his side and The Rock can’t do anything about it. You don’t go out there and shoot on someone when their hands are tied. It’s a major dick move. And I hate Cena because of his spot in the company, not so much him as a person. But if Cena knows The Rock can’t hit Cena back, the way Cena acted makes me dislike him as a person now too. And 2, if these legitimate gripes with Cena can’t be brought up as more than jokes, by even someone of the Rock’s caliber, then the WWE is really owned by John Cena and nothing will ever change that. Cena will continue being this super overrated lead of the company and Vince will never allow anything on his show to challenge him.

I have no problems with PG shows. If that’s the point of them. John Cena and WWE PG is as if I were watching Dexter and halfway through the season Big Bird came in and the entire show changed. But this isn’t Sesame Street. It’s Dexter. Same way John Cena running WWEPG is not WWE (WWF). When the Rock originally debuted he was Rocky Maivia, A super chipper smiling one dimensional babyface who did everything short of hugging babies. Does that sound familiar? And how did the fans react? Well, it was the beginning of the Attitude Era. The fans HATED him. They chanted Die Rocky Die and Rocky Sucks. This was supposed to be their big babyface star! But what did The Rock do? He changed, became a bad guy and took that reaction and fed off it, and bettered himself as a performer. Now The Rock is one of the greatest of all time. John Cena didn’t debut that way, he eventually had a rapper gimmick that naturally got him popular, but then he did a reverse and became the super chipper smiling one dimensional babyface. Because now there was an audience for that-children. Anyone over 12 and anyone who remembers the Attitude Era or the ECW revolution hates him. But because he’s so over with kids, he watered himself down, comes out every night, does his unfunny safe promos, does his 5 moves, and leaves. He will never become great if he does not have any reason to push himself to be. The Rock coming back, made Cena entertaining for a few weeks. It pushed him to be better. But now with Vince, WWEPG and kids behind him, he really has no reason to be. I feel like, WWE will never have the next big star like The Rock and Austin, because this environment is inhospitable to them. And if that’s the case, I really have no reason to watch it anymore either.

Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to Digg Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think Cena and Rock are as good as it gets when it comes to ENTERTAINING. They are the greatest entertainers ever. Cena and the Rock both carried the strongest heel characters ever. People used to chant "Die Rocky". No matter what, these two bring a reaction from every fan whether its a good or bad reaction. When their music hits, you are either on your feet, booing or cheering or a combination of all three but you arent just sitting there doing nothing.

I love this blog and its one of the best I've read but lets not debate on who was better. They both carried a torch. The Rock will always be the man because of what he was allowed to do. Notice how when WWE went PG, Cena turned soooo un-cool & became a patriot. In a TV-14 environment Cena owns. When WWE decided to go PG, it angered fans, so ofcourse we all are going to attack their top guy and ridicule Cena as if PG was his idea.

The Rock & Cena are in a league of their own but those two have done great things for this business. People talk about the Rock to this day. My personal favorite is Y2J but this business would be nothing if it wasnt for people like Hogan, Flair, HHH, Michaels, Taker & Cena & Booker T taking the ball and running with it

Thanks for the blog A+
    I think Cena and Rock are as good as it gets when it comes to ENTERTAINING. They are the greatest entertainers ever. Cena and the Rock both carried the strongest heel characters ever. People used to chant "Die Rocky". No matter what, these two bring a reaction from every fan whether its a good or bad reaction. When their music hits, you are either on your feet, booing or cheering or a combination of all three but you arent just sitting there doing nothing.

I love this blog and its one of the best I've read but lets not debate on who was better. They both carried a torch. The Rock will always be the man because of what he was allowed to do. Notice how when WWE went PG, Cena turned soooo un-cool & became a patriot. In a TV-14 environment Cena owns. When WWE decided to go PG, it angered fans, so ofcourse we all are going to attack their top guy and ridicule Cena as if PG was his idea.

The Rock & Cena are in a league of their own but those two have done great things for this business. People talk about the Rock to this day. My personal favorite is Y2J but this business would be nothing if it wasnt for people like Hogan, Flair, HHH, Michaels, Taker & Cena & Booker T taking the ball and running with it

Thanks for the blog A+
    @Snowman; I actually thought for the majority you where spot on; I enjoyed your perspective on the matter. @Clikka, gotta say mate; I could see your point to some extent, but you said 'but to think there is some secret code written by VKM that cena is untouchable..... *laugh '; that is exactly the case, Cena is untouchable, VKM doesn't care a jot about wrestling quality, Cena is a marketing tool for him; plain and simple. You just need to watch his matches to see that everyone is forced to put him over like he's a super hero; do you honestly think wrestlers like selling to him and at the same time making themselves look like wimps, eh no; it's because they are forced to by VKM. On to the point about Superman, I actually liked Superman; a hero doesn't need to have a bad streak to be entertaining; that's actually a problem that reflects current society. The real issue is not having a dark side being too boring; it's the fact that Cena is just plain boring; Hulk Hogan was also Mr goody2shoes early in his career; but he wasn't boring that's the difference. I can re-watch all the old WWE classics and still thoroughly enjoy them, where as when I watch WWE now, I just feel plain bored; that's a major problem and VKM doesn't care as long as Cena's fans(kids) keep watching. People are entitled to be angry about that; I love the wrestling business and just wish it would improve, so I can love it the way I used to.
    Another point is that during the so called drug policy era, wrestlers have lost their jobs, while others have been forced to slim down; but during this period it has been blatantly obvious that Cena hasn't lost any muscle. So it's seems that their is a rule for the rest of the roster; but not for Cena, do you know what that's called? UNTOUCHABLE. Funny thing is, the reason for this it that if Cena lost most of his muscle, then he would be left completely pointless; what does this say about Cena? He has no talent and is merely a glorified body builder; who can talk a bit(even if it is mostly unfunny).
    How many f****** does The Rock have to repeat himself? They both said it last week "The time for talk is over" and that's simply it.
    Really mrbluto? Last I remember, selling a Stone Cold Stunner or a Pedigree shouldn't require you to do 5 or 6 backflips. The problem with Cena's selling is that he oversells as well, but not as bad as The Rock. When Cena sells, he pretends to be injured, but take it a little too far with the facial expressions. The Rock on the other hand does a somersault and hurricarana while laying on the mat after receiving a Stunner. Impossible? Sure, but The Rock can do it. The Cena hate is ridiculous because the reasons for it are not valid.

And speaking of the whole "5 moves" thing...just about EVERY WRESTLER has it and choreograph their matches the same way.
    Thank you Jayoholic. Seriously think of any big star in WWE and you could most likely name off at least 3 moves they did in their matches.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.