View RSS Feed

Snowman

Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?

Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Randy Orton said something interesting this past week on ESPN.com. He said Cena would “own” The Rock. He said “…I think Cena is 10 times the performer in the ring that The Rock is. This Monday in Chicago, he’ll prove it.”

Most of us scoffed at the idea. After all, John Cena is nowhere near the league of The Rock, that’s partially why we all hate him. But last Monday, John Cena came out and did a shoot promo on The Rock, telling The Rock that Rock hates him because he wears the wrong colors, listens to the wrong music etc. and most surprising that his audience is kids. But Cena is damn proud of that was tells The Rock if he has any legitimate concerns about him not working his tail to the bone to further this business they have something to talk about. If not, who is The Rock to judge him?

It was a really good promo, even better considering it came from MR. Vanilla John Cena. But The Rock is the best promo guy in the history of the WWE, he’ll set Cena straight, it’s been years it’s finally time the people had a champion (no pun intended) to explain to Cena why exactly we all hate him.

And The Rock basically says the equivalent of: “Oh yea? Well I’m gonna whoop your ass!” …Really? What…what just happened? Where’s the classic Rock comeback? Where’s the long list of legitimate problems The Rock and the people have with Cena? Just off the top of my head he could have said that the people judge him, and the people are not entertained. Or he could have said that he left out one thing: that he’s untalented and does not deserve to be the top guy. The Rock could have said ANYTHING except what he said which was nothing.

For the next few hours I just sat here, stunned and checking updates on this site. There had to be an explanation. The Rock can’t just get owned by Cena. That’s like Santino Marella outshining Stone Cold Steve Austin. That doesn’t happen. The Rock is the best promo guy ever. He can’t just have nothing. Was Randy Orton right? Is Cena really better?

But then it hit me: The problem The Rock and the people have with Cena isn’t something that can be broadcast to the world on WWE television. John Cena is their top guy and Vince McMahon is the reason for that. The Rock can’t go out there and shoot on Cena and say he’s not talented, he’s overrated, his 5 moves he only ever does, his super hero gimmick, his pandering to children, his plain boring 1980′s babyface persona, his corporate ass kissing, his watered down presentation, his bad attempt to be funny, his inability to wrestle, etc. etc. etc. The Rock isn’t going to stick around. Even if he were, the WWE is PG now and is not a habitable place for people like The Rock anymore. The Rock can’t basically go onto a sitcom, expose the lead character for being the absolute horrid thing he is, and then leave and hope that the show can continue with it’s now buried lead performer.

But if this is truly what happened, that leaves a number of unsettling problems. 1, Cena is an major tool for acting like he punked out The Rock, giving him that straight face when he damn well knows he’s got the boss on his side and The Rock can’t do anything about it. You don’t go out there and shoot on someone when their hands are tied. It’s a major dick move. And I hate Cena because of his spot in the company, not so much him as a person. But if Cena knows The Rock can’t hit Cena back, the way Cena acted makes me dislike him as a person now too. And 2, if these legitimate gripes with Cena can’t be brought up as more than jokes, by even someone of the Rock’s caliber, then the WWE is really owned by John Cena and nothing will ever change that. Cena will continue being this super overrated lead of the company and Vince will never allow anything on his show to challenge him.

I have no problems with PG shows. If that’s the point of them. John Cena and WWE PG is as if I were watching Dexter and halfway through the season Big Bird came in and the entire show changed. But this isn’t Sesame Street. It’s Dexter. Same way John Cena running WWEPG is not WWE (WWF). When the Rock originally debuted he was Rocky Maivia, A super chipper smiling one dimensional babyface who did everything short of hugging babies. Does that sound familiar? And how did the fans react? Well, it was the beginning of the Attitude Era. The fans HATED him. They chanted Die Rocky Die and Rocky Sucks. This was supposed to be their big babyface star! But what did The Rock do? He changed, became a bad guy and took that reaction and fed off it, and bettered himself as a performer. Now The Rock is one of the greatest of all time. John Cena didn’t debut that way, he eventually had a rapper gimmick that naturally got him popular, but then he did a reverse and became the super chipper smiling one dimensional babyface. Because now there was an audience for that-children. Anyone over 12 and anyone who remembers the Attitude Era or the ECW revolution hates him. But because he’s so over with kids, he watered himself down, comes out every night, does his unfunny safe promos, does his 5 moves, and leaves. He will never become great if he does not have any reason to push himself to be. The Rock coming back, made Cena entertaining for a few weeks. It pushed him to be better. But now with Vince, WWEPG and kids behind him, he really has no reason to be. I feel like, WWE will never have the next big star like The Rock and Austin, because this environment is inhospitable to them. And if that’s the case, I really have no reason to watch it anymore either.

Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to Digg Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is John Cena Really Greater Than The Great One?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    .....Wow.....I have read alot of blogs and listened to alot of opinions that i strongly disagree with but none of them had me laughing and slapping my forehead as much as this. Snowman, you can't honestly believe that after these promo's they go back stage and vince is hugging cena as he staunches forward as the rock hangs his head in shame and walks off thinking "oh if only vince wasn't there, i would give it to him so bad".............

Your blinded bud. After that promo, cena, rock, miz and probably even A-RYE! would have been told what a good job they had done before cena and miz were back out PERFORMING in the dark main event for the live viewers. You need to remember they are ENTERTAINERS! They come out an entertain, and from your blog i'd say you were highly entertained, you may not be happy, but definately entertained....to the point you went and wrote down every single thought you had on a 10 minute promo.

also............the rock responded with "only god can judge you" not the people and not the rock "but god aint gunna stop me whooping your a$$ all over chicago!"..............how is that in anyway rock showing any form of fear from VKM's wrath for putting down cena? the fact you even reference VKM in this promo wierds me out.......its stupid, its like saying "And yeah yeah!!! well, well miz is better than them all because he puts them all down and doesnt get held down by the man VKM"...........STUPID and CHILDISH!

You go on about pandering to the audience...........what do you want?!?!?! Every superstar to be heel, go out there swearing and telling everyone to go kill themselves (and as mentioned in a previous blog by another user) you would have "Im bigger and badder" vs "NO I AM" vs "NO ME!!!!!!!!!!!".......dumb dumb dumb, i always was fan of Lex luther....hated superman....but without superman....THERE WOULD BE NO COMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get my point?

Anyways i could keep knit picking but the only advise i can give so you dont stop watching wrestling for something you have convinced yourself of is......................its entertainment, Soapopera for the man.....wwe always has been (in the wwe, please dont carry on as i know ROH and other brands stay low on the story lines) entertainment, going back to the very first day raw started its been about colourful characters Vs great story lines = the greatest sports entertainment company in the world......................

So please again, dont give up because 1 fruity pebble gets to you, its a story, im sure cena and rock are discussing daily how they can better there match and ENTERTAIN us all on the greatest stage of them all...............
    its ok to be honest but sometimes being too honest isnt a good thing. truth is cena is not a good wrestler nor will he ever be. i dont see how you can even compare him to the rock (past or present).

the rock had a character everytime whereas cena has had no character since 2005.

cena doesn't have good psychology or good knowledger about wrestling which are really important if you are to make it as a wrestler.
    Updated 03-31-2011 at 12:37 AM by Saiga
    Let me specify Clikka...I don't think The Rock is afraid of VKM, But VKM owns the company and is very high on John Cena and Cena is seemingly considered by many in the company to be the Hulk Hogan of this generation. The Rock, probably by himself but possibly by advice from VKM (Anything is possible with Vince) can not go out there and shoot (meaning, say real things as opposed to ones in a storyline) on how and why Cena is terrible. I covered that in my blog. I honestly don't think if The Rock really went out there and said in exact terms why Cena is so bad while knowing full well he was not going to stick around, that Vince would be happy with that. The Rock can't bury their lead performer, especially if he's not going to take his place now that the crowd is solidly behind The Rock. So instead of responding with real words, he went with the storyline and said he was going to kick his ass (Which is obviously, not real)

It is not fundamentally the same between the Miz trash talking everyone including John Cena, and what The Rock has done. For one, I haven't watched WWE as much as I used to (because of John Cena and PG) but I haven't heard of ANYONE voice actual legitimate problems people have with Cena like The Rock did. Talking about how he's untalented, and how his audience is only kids, how the previous top wrestler's of the company were better etc. Especially someone who would have the crowd on their side as much as The Rock. What The Rock and Cena have been doing has not just only been part of a storyline, but there are actual real world elements at play, like John Cena talking about The Rock not coming back to WWE on that radio show as what started this whole thing. So last Monday when Cena addressed The Rock, that was real words with real meaning, not just simply two people playing out a part in a story. THAT is why this is different than The Miz talking trash and why I bring VKM into this.

Everything in the WWE goes through Vince. The Rock appearing on the show goes through Vince. Vince has a huge investment in John Cena, if The Rock is not going to be his top guy again then it would be foolish to let The Rock go out there and tear down and "shoot" on Cena. It would lead credence to and validate what most of us are thinking about John Cena, and expose him to those who have yet to figure it out, and also make it 'Canon' in a way in the WWE story by bringing it up in an official storyline. And then The Rock goes "Well, I'm off, hope Cena being your top guy goes well for you!" Which is why I think Cena is a tool for shooting on The Rock knowing The Rock really can't retaliate in that forum. So Cena comes off as if he "showed" The Rock when I don't really believe that is the case.

Of course the alternative is that The Rock really had nothing to say. Which means the Rock is either a bad promo guy or not too smart a guy. Which anyone who's seen him back in the day knows that just isn't true. Maybe you see it differently but The Rock had the opportunity to address Cena face to face about why exactly he didn't like him, and he didn't take it. If you have another theory as to why i'd love to hear it.

I could be wrong, of course I could be. But this is my theory based on the evidence I have. I don't think it warrants laughing and forehead slapping, but that's my opinion.
    Saiga, Agree'd.
    But its as simple as...
    When i was young, i idolised hulk.....i grew up.....but boy did he ever grow my interest in wrestlers and wrestling in general.....
    the circle of life is a wonderful thing. Cena is a great entry point into wrestling for any child......he brings in money and keeps the business alive....yes he has 5 moves... so did hulk, i actually think he had 2 (jiratting his fists around and a leg drop) that i remember atleast.....

Either way you cannot compare as saiga said.....but to think there is some secret code written by VKM that cena is untouchable..... *laugh
    In a way you are right and you are wrong. It would be bad business to point out Cena's in ring flaws, but i realy doubt VKM had anything to do with the rocks comeback
    As i said I haven't followed WWE as much as I used to, but back in the day everything went through Vince. Is that not the case anymore? If it is then what I said stands, Vince has to approve of everything that goes on. The last time I remember something good on WWE it was when Joey Styles went off on the writing team, and even that had to go through and be approved by Vince. So The Rock coming back was The Rock's want and The Rock's doing, but as long as i didn't miss something everything he does and says goes through Vince. The Rock can't go out there and shoot on Cena anymore than Goldust or Drew Carey can if Vince doesn't want it to be so. And assuming The Rock doing that would be bad for business I'm guessing that Vince wouldn't want that to be so.
    Cena could not carry Rocks jock. Rock was an average wrestler but Cena is horrible, Rock will sell moves Cena wont, Rock has the charisma of Hulk Hogan Cena has the charisma of Gilberg, Cena is funny sometime Rock is funny all the time.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.