View RSS Feed

Anyrysm

The Joy of WWE

Rate this Entry
One thing I have noticed about the Online Wrestling Community is that it tends to be very negative. People are always wishing things were more like the attitude era, or not happy about who's being put over, or the writing etc., etc... It seems that many people either forget or fail to mention why we all love wrestling to begin with. So I am writing this blog post as nothing more or less than a reminder of what is currently good and entertaining about the WWE:

The Return of Multiple Storylines

In the buildup to Wrestlemania we have multiple storylines with some compelling interest. There is of course the Rock/Cena/Miz situation that no one really knows how it's going to play out; there's the young lion of Alberto Del Rio trying to dethrone the reigning leader of the pack Edge, with Christian thrown in to spice things up; we now have Sheamus recently breaking the "King of the Ring curse" and scheduled to have a match up against Daniel Bryan; and Orton eliminating all New Nexses members to face CM Punk 1-on-1 at WM.

A lot of intrigue is going on with a lot of buildup on both shows.

John Cena

Personally I have never had a huge problem with John Cena other than the fact that he just always seemed to be champion and would never lose. But I've enjoyed his work over the past months for one simple reason: he has not competed for the championship since September at Night of Champions.

We all like to rag on Cena for being the indestructible man, but the fact is he hasn't had a championship match since September where he was the 3rd man eliminated in a 6-man match. He's been relevant while allowing others to compete for the belt.

I will be rooting for the Miz at WM, but in all honesty if/when Cena wins I won't be that disappointed.

Increased Talent in the Midcard

We all miss the Attitude Era, but we all tend to look back on those days through rose-colored lenses. The fact is back in those days we watched because of Austin/Rock/Mankind/HHH/Taker; after those guys the talent began to drop considerably.

In this WM we will have matches featuring talents the likes of: Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, CM Punk and Randy Orton (not necessarily midcarders, but not competing for a title), Rey Mysterio, Cody Rhodes, etc. Look back at the lineups for past Wrestlemanias and you'll see guys like Road Dogg, The Godfather, and D-Lo Brown consistently being featured on PPV.

For my money, I'll take the modern talent as a whole in most instances.

The Streak

Say what you want about "The Streak" but lets face it: we all get into it. Maybe Taker will lose or maybe he won't; maybe there will be months of buildup (like last year) or just a few weeks (this year); but at the end of the day, as wrestling fans do we really believe that two competitors like Taker and HHH are going to go out and put on a dud of a match? I don't think so.

The Youth Movement

It is nice to see new, younger athletes get to share in some of the spotlight. Morrison was that man for about two months, putting on great matches on a weekly basis and flat out stealing the shows at Extreme Rules, Royal Rumble, and Elimination Chamber; Daniel Bryan bringing respectability back to the U.S. Championship and now feuding with Sheamus who is turning into a first class heel. Cody Rhodes has taken a questionable gimmick and ran with it like his life depended on it and is competing at WM in what could be the show-stealer. Dolph Ziggler when given the chance to main event (i.e. Royal Rumble) showed that he can put on a great match, we have Del Rio facing Edge for the WHC and The Miz is the WWE Champion.

No matter how you feel about any one of these individuals, I think most of us can agree it's better than Cena holding onto the title for 21 out of 24 months, or HHH being champion for a 14th time, or to have the airwaves dominated by geriatrics like Hogan, Flair, and Bischoff.

All in all, I feel the product being put forth by the WWE has been a solid one. I have enjoyed the past four PPVs immensely and am eagerly awaiting WM. Are there flaws in the product? Of course there are. There will always be flaws in something that produces 4 shows per week, 1 PPV per month, and has no offseason. But by and large, I think they're doing a good job.

Stay tuned for "The Joy of TNA" and why that company is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Hope you all enjoy the post.

Submit "The Joy of WWE" to Digg Submit "The Joy of WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "The Joy of WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Joy of WWE" to Google

Updated 03-25-2011 at 05:57 PM by Anyrysm

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

i have to disagree with many things you say, sorry bro.

The difference between attitude era midcarders like d'lo, road dogg etc, they actually had charisma. They got cheers or boos when they entered the arena, not silence. Plus they had theme songs that match their entrances which they don't do anymore. morrison is awesome, as is randy orton. I disagree though on punk, ziggler and bryan. I would take road dogg anyday over them guys.

I also disagree with you on john cena. He is more of like a childrens character. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-PkYVxM_d0[/url]
    watch this video, and see how adults react to cena. He can't wrestle, as indicated by many other superstars like Triple H for example. If Cena turned heel, He would be alot better. When he does an entrance you can hear the women and children for christ sake. What happened to wrestling being tough?

Another thing, A long title reign is actually a good thing. They don't do it anymore and by having long title reigns it gives credibility to the belt. It actually makes a title match worth watching.

The bottom line is, Ziggler- no charisma therefore will not be a company leader
    morrison- awesome in ring, horrible on mic and will not be a company leader
    del rio- incapable of ever turning face properly, his character is annoying and will not be leader
    sheamus- Perfect heel, incapable of turning face properly.Needs irish entrance music.
    Cody rhodes and daniel bryan- Honestly, im not sure who would want to watch these two, wow
    Quote Originally Posted by jonestown420
    i have to disagree with many things you say, sorry bro.

The difference between attitude era midcarders like d'lo, road dogg etc, they actually had charisma. They got cheers or boos when they entered the arena, not silence. Plus they had theme songs that match their entrances which they don't do anymore. morrison is awesome, as is randy orton. I disagree though on punk, ziggler and bryan. I would take road dogg anyday over them guys.

I also disagree with you on john cena. He is more of like a childrens character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-PkYVxM_d0
    watch this video, and see how adults react to cena. He can't wrestle, as indicated by many other superstars like Triple H for example. If Cena turned heel, He would be alot better. When he does an entrance you can hear the women and children for christ sake. What happened to wrestling being tough?

Another thing, A long title reign is actually a good thing. They don't do it anymore and by having long title reigns it gives credibility to the belt. It actually makes a title match worth watching.

The bottom line is, Ziggler- no charisma therefore will not be a company leader
    morrison- awesome in ring, horrible on mic and will not be a company leader
    del rio- incapable of ever turning face properly, his character is annoying and will not be leader
    sheamus- Perfect heel, incapable of turning face properly.Needs irish entrance music.
    Cody rhodes and daniel bryan- Honestly, im not sure who would want to watch these two, wow
    You are wrong on sooo many levels my friend.
    jonestown420...
    worst analysis ever.
    ok, then explain. I wrote it kinda shitty because i only had few minutes to type it up, but my point was the WWE has no company leader, the guys i mentioned are incapable of leading the WWE, thats why they have austin and the rock at the PPV! otherwise it would be an embarrassing buyrate. If im so wrong about my points, then explain why. I watched wrestling from 97-2002 then stopped and recently started again. I couldnt believe the utter shit that the WWE has turned into, I have followed it for a few months but i dont see how any adult can get into this shit.
    i mean, you think even the main eventers for the WWE now get a reaction like the mid carders in the attitude era? they get no reaction at all, complete silence and Licensed alternative rock they are trying to sell. Im gonna leave it at this. Heres a list of old WWE attitude wrestlers that were mid-low card that get a better reaction than ANY wwe wrestler.
    1.The oddities
    2.Mosh and thrasher
    3.The Brood
    4.Al Snow
    5.New age outlaws
    6.mae young
    7.Goldust
    8.Kaientai

Tons more
    Come on, enough with the Attitude Era crap.

Serioulsy I grew up with it and In my opinion it was the Best for a time of decadence, in my opinion it was the best because there was a real competition for it and no there is a transtion era, therefore no real competition so the company is not pushed to deliver everything every night not knowing if the raitng is going to be tarnished by it's competitor.

Now, with that being said, stop it, serioulsly that era is Dead, let it Rest in Peace and start seeing the possitives of the current product.

There is a transition of talent, the guys can't be there forever so new stars has to be born, I mean, it doesn't have to be right away but the season had to be dealt with.

Cena can't wrestle? I am not fan of his character (Although I accept it is a good thing to have a character like him on TV) but the guy can go, look for his matches before 2005, he can go, the thing is that WWE is still trying really hard into turning into Hulk Hogan 2000 (Hogan as the matter of fact performed way less cool moves than Cena, even for the 80s, and in my view Cena's moves are not really that cool, flashy yes, but not that cool) in a time where people endorsed someone complete opposite to Hogan in SCSA, not flashy, common guy making a freaking living, badmouthed, not a good guy or a bad guy in reality, but someone everone relates to because he lived the dream every underpayed employee has, kick his boss' ass and get paid for it.

Everyone shits on Cena because He is really like the Superman Character: He is the good guy no matter what and no matter what it takes, he wins at the end all the time, that also has a major deffect: It gets tiresome and boring, like Superman, that is why at some point Superman got killed by Doomsday, it was the first time he didn't overcame the odd, it made him interesting again, in the case of Cena, while he has lost a few battles in reality he haven't had that fall from grace but the day he does (turning heel I mean - if he ever does), he is going to have most of people (Like Jericho would say: Bunch of Hypocrates) he is going to have veryone and his/her mother in the IWC eating from the palm of his hand.

@jonestown420: On the wrestlers you mentioned, that is just your point of view because most people (I am not saying I am one) support those guys as the next company leader:

Ziggler: No charisma? The guy can go and people hate him, I mean he gest a good reaction, not my favorite but a lot of peope things he is the future.

Morrison: No Mic skills, agreed, A lot of ring skils can cover it a little at least for a brief run as main eventer.

Del Rio: Why do you ever want for him to turn face? There are guys born to be heels their whole careers, he hasn't been with the WWE even a year and you ge tthat analysis? serious lack basis. Is he annoying? Fine, you hate the guy (even if you say you are indiferent to him, the annoying sentece says it all), good, he is doing his job fine, you are supposed to feel that way about him.

Sheamus- Yes a good heel, Incapable of turning face? good you are not on Creative there because apparelyty you just have one way of thinking, the guy being released as a monster at some point could do great as a face, as an intense face, like a second coming of Batista at some point or saving someone really over, there are to many ways to make the guy a face. Needs Irish music? I am not going to even justify that with a comment.

Bryan and Rhodes? Bryan? seriously, the guy in the ring is the closest second comming of a Chris Benoit (In a good way and before 2007) in the ring and even if he is small and lack of personality outside the ring, he does not need all that, in every company there is always someone who's ability in the ring is his personality and his charisma, tha tis the case of Bryan, at some point that is why he gets pops everywhere he goes, because of his work in the ring.

Rohdes is getting there and he is only 24, he will come around in a year or two and now is starting to get noticed.

I think it is personal preference but Roar Dogg and Punk are so different, I mean while RD was charismatic and had a good connection with the crowd, he was never seen as main event matterial, actually don't know really why since he was way more charismatic than Billy Gunn, I really thing maybe either he or the WWE dropped the ball with him there because he could have been a lot bigger than he was. But sorry, Punk is in a whole different level in my view, he is nearly a perfect villain, and can get over as a face (if given the right chance, the last time he was screwed more levels than one), the guy is better in the ring too and doesn't have to relly in to many trademark as the Roar Dogg needed.

Now form the ones that you siad got a reation better than any other current WWE wrestler (which is absolutely not true, because otherwise they would have remained with the company after that)

1.The oddities---Had Sable to get over, Sable was The Female of that time, only reason why they got a reaction, but nevertheless, never took on account with a serious face.
    2.Mosh and thrasher---The Head Bangers were good, I'll give you that, if the Tag team Division got respect, those two would have been great at the present time.
    3.The Brood--Yep, so good that out of it you have an 11 time World Champion and an ECW champion and multiple IC champions in the present day with Edge and Christian and the second version with the Hardys: 3 time World champion and another ECW champion with alot of other acocolades. In their case, it is called Evolution.
    4.Al Snow -- OK, for a while it wa sfunny, then it became lame and boring.
    5.New age outlaws--I give you Roar dogg, Billy Gunn no matter how much they tried, had no real charisma and if you think cena can't wrestle, this guy couldn't even walk straight on that note.
    6.mae young--legend, She was there way before the attitude era.
    7.Goldust--Still there, at some point his character got lost in the shuffle, too bad because is a good wrestler, had proven it in the present run.
    8.Kaientai--Yes popular whil it was the new thing, after that, not as much.

Also the main problem is that most of us have seen a lot so nothing is really new. Take SinCara for example, Most of you are goin to shit on him, why? because he is pretty much a clon of Rey Mysterio when he was starting. If you never saw Rey at the beggining, SinCara is prbably make an imprssion on you, if you saw Rey, well is going to be pretty similar.I am telling you because I have watched both guys and while they are different peopel, the styles are very similar.

Also, the arenas are not packed as before because of everything that have transpired since the attitude era and the end of the Monday night wars. After that, there was no competition, no real choice so people started to fade, is not that the talent in the Attitude Era was better, or that the current talent is better, is the choice that lead to it too, if you didn't like something you turned the channel and there was Nitro, and they had to bring something better to get you back, now, none brings anything. TNA tried, but too soon in my view, people saw how in production value TNA is still growing while the WWE is a freaking monster and people started to change towards WWE, it also didn't help that the had an encore on Thursday, in th end they sshouldn't have moved at all until they could see they could match (something tha tis goint to take a real long time, if ever and this is not ripping on TNA,they are still growing) the Monster ahead of them.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.