View RSS Feed

miraistreak

Christian's Last Window

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
It doesn't take much, actually scratch that, any effort to find someone (or a large group) of people saying "Christian should be [WWE Branded] Champion!" in-fact it's almost become a bit of a running gag. However, I'm not here to argue whither or not he deserves to be a champion. What I'm here to argue is that window is about to shut... permanently.

To understand my reasoning, I must first go back in time, and you may notice a trend.

This is the Entire List of WWE/WHC that earned their first WWE Branded World title since Summerslam 2004, followed by their age and time since joining the TV Roster, in order by date of title obtained.

Name - Age (Appx) - Tenure (Appx)
Randy Orton - 24.2 yo - 2.3 yrs
John Cena - 28.0 yo - 2.8 yrs
Batista - 36.2 yo - 3.0 yrs
Edge - 32.2 yo - 6.8 yrs
Rey Mysterio - 31.3 yo - 3.8 Yrs

RVD - 35.5 yo - 4.9 Yrs
Great Khali - 34.9 yo - 1.3 Yrs
CM Punk - 29.6 yo - 4.0 Yrs
Jeff Hardy - 31.3 yo - 10.3 Yrs
Sheamus - 31.9 yo - 0.5 Yrs

Jack Swagger - 28.0 yo - 1.6 Yrs
The Miz - 30.1 yo - 4.5 Yrs
Dolph Ziggler - 30.5 yo - 5.4 Yrs

Average: 31.1 Years Old - 3.9 Years Tenure

Now you might be asking: What trend?

Of those listed above, 3 of them earned their titles based on circumstance: RVD -- ECW Revival, Khali -- India market, and Mysterio -- Eddie Guerrero. Then there's Jeff Hardy, the odd ball for tenure. Well, he became champion simply because of his massive popularity. While it may be argued if he was sober he would have became one earlier, the WWE generally doesn't put "First Titles" on a superstar who has been there forever. The reason? The Ceiling. You know what you're getting in an more tenured superstar, and if they're not world class, it's doubtful they ever will be. Christian has solid popularity, but he's not 2009 Jeff Hardy level, nor does he fill a circumstance.

Of the "non-circumstance" champions, this is your average:
30.1 yo, 3.4 yrs

Here's Christian: 37.3 yo, 12.5 yrs

This is important when you compare Christian to other potential champions:**
Alberto Del Rio - 33.8 yo - 0.6 yrs
Daniel Bryan - 29.8 yo - 1.1 yrs
John Morrison - 31.5 yo - 7 yrs
Kofi Kingston - 30.2 yo - 3.2 yrs
Wade Barrett - 30.6 yo - 1.1 yrs

**Your Personal List may vary

Now granted he held the NWA Championship, and I not going to dispute his world-class skills. However, since he hasn't held a WWE one yet, he has everything working against him. For discussions sake, let's say Christian earned his first at Summerslam 2011. He would be just under 38 years old, with about 13 years of WWE/TNA competition weighing on his body. Captain Obvious states he wouldn't have much left in the tank to give as a World-Title Level athlete.

Now of course he hasn't had too many injuries and could probably go for a few more years. However though, there are two major issues. The first is that his promotion to World-Title level is going to take away or delay a younger and less worn out superstar's opportunity. [See Above] The other is the lack of long term financial return of investment, older athletes miss more house shows, and also he might be one of the worst sellers of merchandise given his popularity in WWE history. Don't believe me? His current adult T-Shirts for sale on wweshop.com pre-date wweshop.com.

Despite all of what I said though, you can feel it, and WWE has hinted it over the Edge/Del Rio feud. The Edge and Christian reunion is pretty much a guarantee (a Retro E&C T-Shirt is on sale), and it's probably Christian's last chance at a major push. This very well could end with him earning his first world title if it ends with a Edge or Del Rio feud, and lead to possibly even multiple reigns if it's well received. However, you can also feel if he squanders it, or creative pulls the plug on it... It's over, the window will be shut, he will never be a WWE Branded World Champion, and he will be the 2011 equivalent of Vader.

Submit "Christian's Last Window" to Digg Submit "Christian's Last Window" to del.icio.us Submit "Christian's Last Window" to StumbleUpon Submit "Christian's Last Window" to Google

Tags: christian, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    *merchandise
    I dont think Christian will ever be a WWE/WH Champion, but this has nothing to do with Christian. It has only because of Vince. I dont see Vince giving him a title because he was a TNA/NWA Champion first, and I dont see Vince having a former TNA/NWA champion as a WWE/WH Champion. Simple.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.