View RSS Feed

Domkin

Rocks Return Update - All bout The Miz now.....

Rate this Entry
Hi all. Three weeks ago I posted a blog on the return of The Rock and discussed the benefits and potential pitfalls for the WWE as a result of it. Had some really good discussion points and comments out of it and so thought I’d build on this by looking at how the angle has developed and what I now believe to be the biggest benefit of the return of The Great One. For me whatever transpires on RAW over the next couple of weeks and whatever goes down at Mania, one person will come out of it winner and that is The Miz!

This angle has been tv gold and gradually over the past weeks while all the attention has been on the altercations between Cena and Rock, Miz has been gradually building momentum and delivering what I feel have been his best promos of his career so far. Now the WWE is often criticised for not pushing young talent and then when they do push people the criticism then moves to them being pushed too early. I feel the way the WWE have promoted The Miz (and also Del Rio) as not only Main Event and Championship material but above all Wrestlemania Main Event material (and I believe there is a difference) has been excellent. Both have excellent pedigree with Del Rio being a ten year veteran before stepping into the WWE ring and Miz , 3 times Tag Team Champion, 2 times US Champion and WWE Champion and truly deserve the slots they are in.

Anyway back to The Miz, he’s the perfect heel champ. A ‘love to hate’ character. I place him in the same category as the heel champ characters of Angle, Jericho and JBL in that you literally cannot wait to see them put in their place and beaten all around the ring but at the same time their promos and actions make them ‘must see’ every week. I remember the furore when Angle was champ and seemed to survive PPV after PPV and the genius that was JBL and his SD reign from a few years back.
If you have a heel champ who is 1 dimensional and lacks the ability to continually develop their character then their title reigns are short and sweet, it takes a great deal of trust from the WWE to allow a champ to reign for over half a year and even more so when they are a heel champ due to the potential restrictions on merchandise sales, promos and signings etc…
I remember meeting Brock Lesnar when he was champ way back and granted he’s not known for being the most chatty of individuals but he’s was really overdoing the heel act. I got it but you could see that the younger demographic were not necessarily enjoying his company.

The RAW build-up to Mania has been excellent and thoroughly deserving of the increased ratings of late and none more so than the actions of The Miz this week. To follow a opening promo from The Rock with a live promo that didn’t look out of place was an achievement (there’s some stars who have been around much longer that wouldn’t have been able to do that – Orton, Kane, Show etc…) and then to pull off the coup he did at the end of the show was awesome (no pun intended) booking and execution.
The live crowd (and me for about 2 seconds) genuinely believed Rock was there, even as Miz emerged there was still excitement in the crowd. Then came the wave of boos and jeers as it became apparent that it wasn’t The Peoples Champ. And if that wasn’t enough he then continued the theme of the previous two weeks by leaving Cena beaten cleanly and in a credible way! And that is something that few are given the opportunity to do (Nexus anybody?)

Credit is due to the WWE for the way the angle has been put together, credit to The Rock as well for adding an unprecedented amount of buzz not only to this match but also to the whole Mania event. But most importantly credit to The Miz for holding his own in this 3 way dance and in many ways coming out the strongest. I genuinely hope that he retains the title at Mania and if he doesn’t he certainly deserves more than the standard drop back down mid-card limbo and Bryan/Morrison feuds. Keep him as champ and elevate those guys to main event for some of the best matches in recent times.

Look forward to the usual abuse, comments etc…….

Until next time

Adios

Submit "Rocks Return Update - All bout The Miz now....." to Digg Submit "Rocks Return Update - All bout The Miz now....." to del.icio.us Submit "Rocks Return Update - All bout The Miz now....." to StumbleUpon Submit "Rocks Return Update - All bout The Miz now....." to Google

Updated 03-17-2011 at 03:38 PM by Domkin

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Actually I am in agreement, first off this was a well written blog Kudos. I agree with the hilarious Irony that people cry for pushes for the younger gen, then bitch when they actually get them. The Miz being the perfect example of a push done correctly. What people don't realize is that the Miz certainly has paid his dues. For a long time Miz was treated like a gimmick character due to his previous real world stint. He had to work his way up from dark matches, small stints on smackdown and the failzone that was WWE's version of ECW, where they took two low tier Mid-carders in the Miz and Morrison and gradually built them up into potential main eventers. Eventually they both made their way to raw where their careers flourished. Miz went from getting completely facerolled by John Cena in PPV's to being the first wrestler to hold dual championship titles for the first time in several years ( US title and tag championship with Show) and then onto the WWE title which he has proven he can give a legit reign and is one of the Top heels, next to CM punk.
    you know, I watched Right After Wrestling after The Rock made his return and a lot of what was said was how promo's just didn't seem to be as good in this day and age, and how that night The Rock stepped up and showed the entire WWE universe how a promo should be done, well over the last month when I watch The Miz and Cena, I will say that the Miz has clearly stepped up to The Rocks level, Cena still seems to be lacking something that keeps him on the tier just below those two, I personally hope Miz gets a Championship run till at least Summerslam, have him win on the grandest stage of Wrestlemania and then maybe have him lose on the next biggest stage at Summerslam, which gives him a title reign lasting over 9 months, by far the longest in recent memory and solidifying him as one of the true Main event names in the WWE for years to come.
    I like the fact that Miz is holding his own...not exactly Rocks level yet...but better than Cena. This has totally been a surprise to me in the fact I feared Miz would be lost in the shuffle of Rock vs Cena. But it has been masterfully played how Miz has stepped up and made everyone take notice of him as a serious threat. I honestly believe that Cena could lose at Mania.
    1) Miz retains the title against Cena.
    2) The Rock storms the ring and kicks Cena's ass then challenges the Miz for the title.
    3) Miz drops title to the Rock.
    4) Rock drops title next night on Raw and walks away.

Really, the only way I see the Rock walking away is after regaining the WWE Title. I don't see him back for good, so the quicker he wins it the quicker he can lose it (the quicker Vince stops writing him big checks......) Miz is done, but it will be another heal champion taking it from the Rock. I'd guess Barrett if there were a gun to my head, they can pass the title on Raw with a gimmick and have the Core "injure" the Rock, sending him on his merry way.
    Amazing coincidence how a well written article makes all agree isn’t it? I am no different, I agree completely except for maybe the Miz coming out on top, I think the Rock will, but one thing is for sure Cena is in dead last. BTW Miz is to Mania what King was to Chamber… a no hope, there is no way Miz will retain unless Rock interferes.
    It is a complete mystery to me why people like the Miz, when this guy first appeared he was hated; and for good reason, the guy is a complete tool; who will only ever have basic skills at best. People say he generates good heat, but come on, the heat is do to the fact that he's a tosser. You could put any complete tool out there and people would boo them; even if they never wrestled once. He comes across as someone you would just love to punch in the face, that's the kind of face he has, and he actually believes his own hype; tool tool tool. It's true that younger talent needs pushed, but John Morrison would have been a better option. Oh to hell with it, who cares, if you all want tossers like him, your welcome to them, WWE is just about done in my eyes. Man I miss the days when we had great wrestlers with wide varying skills, now were lumped with a bunch of cookie cutters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobernocker_30
    1) Miz retains the title against Cena.
    2) The Rock storms the ring and kicks Cena's ass then challenges the Miz for the title.
    3) Miz drops title to the Rock.
    4) Rock drops title next night on Raw and walks away.

Really, the only way I see the Rock walking away is after regaining the WWE Title. I don't see him back for good, so the quicker he wins it the quicker he can lose it (the quicker Vince stops writing him big checks......) Miz is done, but it will be another heal champion taking it from the Rock. I'd guess Barrett if there were a gun to my head, they can pass the title on Raw with a gimmick and have the Core "injure" the Rock, sending him on his merry way.
    Sorry man but that angle seemed like the crappy ending of Wrestlemania XIX when Hogan won the title from Yokozuna.

Seriiosly I hope something like that does not happen at all, I mean, it would piss on both, Cena and The Miz.

Cena sure as Hell can recover since he is "The Guy" but the Miz, not at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.