View RSS Feed

nrb6304

Three years after Chris Beniot

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Hey all EWN and IWC readers, I understand that it's been 3 years since the tragic death of Chris Beniot, BUT with the recent release of Chris Jericho's new book "Undisputed" (great read pick it up!) the thought of Chris Beniot has creeped back into people's mind.

The season of Wrestlemania is upon us, and a name that has become anonymous with Wrestlemania is also Chris Beniot due to the fact that he participated in one of the top 3 Main Event Matches of Wrestlemania History (HBK/UT II and HBK/Bret Hart are the other two IMO). Along with Wrestlemania comes the rich history as well. Multiple magazines and videos and etc. are released remembering past Wrestlemania's. My question is what the hell are they going to do with WWE Magazine where they're promoting "EVERY MATCH from EVERY WRESTLEMANIA"? What the hell are they gonna do for WM 2000 when Beniot Angle and Jericho tore up the place in a two falls triple threat match for the IC and European Title?
Or X-Seven? When Angle and Beniot but on a wrestling clinic?
Or WM XX when Beniot won the World Heavyweight Title?

All of these questions bring up the question that I intend of trying to answer: "Should the WWE 'blackout' Chris Beniot?"

My answer? Yes indeed they should. Let's take a look at why.

1.) Almost causing another govt. investigation of NOT ONLY WWE but the ENTIRE wrestling world.
When Chris Beniot did what he did to his family the entire country stood in awe of how and why this could happen, and one of the main points was drugs and steroids in wrestling. Now granted there are CLEARLY some juice heads in all of professional sports, none more evident then in the glorified body building business that is WWE.
So because of these investigations people who worked hard to get their bodies without steroids now can't be on TV or in the ring because people will believe that they are juiced up causing wrestlers to lose out on possible money opportunities to feed their families.

2.) Erasing the hard work of others.
There can't be a wrestling match without two people. Beniot (through his actions) have ruined the chance for younger audiences to enjoy some of his matches (unless they use Youtube or some other form of file sharing be it legal or illegal). What are these matches you ask? Well how about for starters: Money in the Bank I? In my honest opinion the GREATEST Money in the Bank Ladder Match in the history of all them. The match that gave Edge his ticket to the top. In twenty years Edge will have another DVD disc set come out and when the WWE or Edge wants to talk about his rise to the top they cannot put that match on the DVD. Why? Because Chris Beniot was the last man on the ladder before Edge took to a steel chair to him to win.

I recently bought the 10 Year Anniversary of Smackdown 3 Disc DVD set that counts down the 100 Greatest moments in Smackdown history. It includes some full length matches, one of them NOT being this classic match that SHOULD have been right at the top of the list.
TLC III- The Dudleyz vs. Edge and Christian vs. The Hardyz vs. Beniot and Jericho
The TLC match that injured Beniot's neck, the TLC that gave Y2J and Beniot the WWE tag titles and set up the injury that would change Triple H's career for ever. No longer can be watched on DVD unless you own a DVD that is pre 2007.

The Final Match on the list is one that maybe isn't remembered as much as it should be: Smackdown 11/18/05 Chris Beniot vs. Triple H. Why is this match up important? This was the closing match up to the Eddie Guerrero tribute Smackdown. A TRUE classic and testament to Beniot AND Hunter's skill. At the end of the match up Dean Malenko came down and stood in the ring and cried in remorse of losing their best friend Eddie Guerrero. A true moment that should test the sands of time, no longer will be viewed unless found on Youtube or on the VHS tape that sits in my bed room that contains both the RAW and Smackdown Guerrero tribute shows.

3.) Almost destroying the industry that he loved.
What many folks don't know or remember about the aftermath of the indecent is that the ENTIRE wrestling business was in a state of taboo. Here in my home town there are at least 3 "big" indy promotions and all three canceled their shows for the next few months unsure of how the fans would respond. And I know of a few other cities that shut down their wrestling community too in fear of losing more money then making any.

The entire WWE along with TNA re shuffled their cards, and had to re think what type of product they were going to put on the screen.

Should Beniot be black listed in the WWE? Yes. Yes he should, he alone almost tore down the entire buisness we all love.

Should Chris Beniot be remembered for the wrestler or the monster? My answer? Despite everything I've just said: The Wrestler. Chris Beniot the wrestler was one of THE best in the world EVER. Not a lot of people could match Beniot in the ring, and to this day not a lot of people can. Beniot was an amazing wrestler that should never be forgotten for the things he accomplished INSIDE the ring not the way he ended his life.

Submit "Three years after Chris Beniot" to Digg Submit "Three years after Chris Beniot" to del.icio.us Submit "Three years after Chris Beniot" to StumbleUpon Submit "Three years after Chris Beniot" to Google

Updated 03-08-2011 at 12:18 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I couldnt agree more with this blog. It kills me how people can defend this man just because he was a freakin wrestler. He should not be recognized for anything he's done in wrestling. I dont care if he created it. Family is sacred and to take your damn creation(son) from this earth is just unexcusable. He deserves nothing but to rot.

The sad part is that Orton's DVD whenever its released will be ruined because they cant even show the first time he won the word championship at Summerslam 2004 because it was against Benoit.

But forreal on WWE OnDemand they show Benoit all the time on the old WCW Nitro's when he's with the Four Horsemen. They dont show him wrestling but they do indeed show him
    I couldnt agree more with this blog. It kills me how people can defend this man just because he was a freakin wrestler. He should not be recognized for anything he's done in wrestling. I dont care if he created it. Family is sacred and to take your damn creation(son) from this earth is just unexcusable. He deserves nothing but to rot.

The sad part is that Orton's DVD whenever its released will be ruined because they cant even show the first time he won the word championship at Summerslam 2004 because it was against Benoit.

But forreal on WWE OnDemand they show Benoit all the time on the old WCW Nitro's when he's with the Four Horsemen. They dont show him wrestling but they do indeed show him
    3 years? Wow time flies. I've thought alot about what happened with Eddie's death/benoit and the tragedy that followed after and in my mind I'm torn both ways about it. When Eddie died everyone mourned him, the fans, familys and wrestlers alike but on that day man it looked like benoit was hit the hardest and for many it was benoit's reaction to eddies tribute that made everyone else watching cry, I know I did.

But in watching it and seeing Benoit's display and tribute made me miss Eddie more, still do to this day. But the point is when watching it made me genuinely worry for benoit, on screen I've never seen benoit act so emotionally other then at Wrestlemania when he won the title and celebrated with his family and Eddie.

I wondered to myself was Benoit next? Sadly I wish I never asked myself that and not with the circumstances of how he died. Now I don't agree with what benoit did, hell I don't think any sane person should, killing his wife and son and the himself but the man was clearly not sane when commiting those actions.

Over the years I've watched Benoit wrestle that man has taken more head shots/bumps and chair shots then I can count so it's no big suprise that they would have had an effect on the man. But it's wrestling and the fans love chair shots, it makes matches more intense and more believable so WWE and other wrestling organizatons still went with them. No one had a clue this would happen at all, to everyone else Benoit seemed fine, every person who ever knew, met or got to know chris said nothing but good things about the guy in and out of the ring.

But it's happened and it's tragic. Honestly I think the WWE should have done far more with Benoit, maybe they did or perhaps Benoit didn't say anything concerning his health or any sort of problems because isn't that was wrestlers do nowadays? Most get an injury and try to hide it and not tell anybody and sadly when that happens it's too late.

As for the WWE I'm disgusted with them more then anything. I grew up watching wrestling as a kid, I loved the product and many wrestlers were my heroes over the years. But since both Eddie and Benoit have passed away I stopped watching WWE nearly altogether.

When news broke that Chris Benoit was dead, the WWE were quick to respond to his passing, (not knowing the full details) and made a tribute for chris and many of chris' closest friends paid trubutes and respects to the man. Then when full news coverage comes out and WWE realizes what happened? They quickly remove any or all affiliation or acknowledgement of Chris Benoit from their files/website and merchandise shuffle away like he never existed.

To me thats the sickest thing the WWE or any wrestling promotion can do to any wrestler. Benoit went out there and wrestled for 20+ years, he busted his ass for this business, put asses in seats and a lot of 5 star matches that I've seen over the years. He loved this business and respected it and loved it just as much as his family. To do all that and for the WWE to act like 'we don't know the guy' is beyond pathetic.

No matter how you look at it, the WWE can't delete the records of how many titles he won or in any wrestling promotion, they can't hide the fact that he was being pushed as their guy to hold the WHC, hell they can't even say he never wrestled for the WWE, but we all know because we've seen the matches and classics he put out over the years. They can't truly hide anything but they sure as hell have tried.

Now as for Chris Benoit the person, should he be remembered? Honestly, no if anyone is going to remember the man it's goin to be for the murder of his wife and son and then his suicide. That's never going to change no matter how you shape that story. But as for Chris Benoit the wrestler who wrestled in this industry for 20+ years, busting his ass like every other wrestler who goes out there day in, day out for the fans and the business? DEFINETLY.

Chris Benoit the wrestler should be put into the hall of fame but because it's the WWE and they want to keep their product untarnished and perfect, it ain't ever going to happen. It should but it isn't and sadly that's what makes the WWE so two faced about it, Benoit did so much for the business and in the end all the wrestler gets out of his 20+ years is his wrestling legacy removed from their records and chair shots to the head now a big no no in the WWE.

If anything we should be asking what if it was the other way around? What if Eddie lived and Benoit died? if the roles were reversed would Eddie have done what Benoit did? Who knows? Thankfully that's never happened or going to happen rather. But still if it did that would possibly affect the wrestling universe far worse I think.

Hell what if it was Bret Hart? Stone cold or hell even Hulk Hogan? Just think about that
    Just to remind people, Benoit killed someone.
    Now he may have not been in the right frame of mind, but you just cannot honor someone who did that. I don't believe he was a monster but he just went insane. But you still cannot honor someone like that, you just can't. He may have put on 5 star matches, but he killed someone. He might have been one of the greatest wrestlers of all time but he killed someone. Stone Cold, Rock, Hogan, Cena would all suffer this fate because there is no way to honor a killer, even if the killer did not mean to do it.

Someone said what if Eddie didn't die, then this may not have happened. According to some people he acted much odder after his death. That may have contibuted to this. Eddie would be black listed also. I'm not saying the WWE is right here but they are more right than wrong. You can never defend honoring a murderer (even though he was mentally insane), no matter how much he meant, you just cannot do it. If anyone one of us were Vince, we would do the exact same thing. They didn't know that headshots and stuff like that would lead to this, they do today because we have a much better understanding of concussions, head trama, ect than say five years ago. The WWE is not wrong and there is no way they could do it, even if they wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by knox

Then you do not agree with my blog sir lol. I am NOT defending Beniot but I believe that he should be remembered as the wrestler not the monster.

AND as for whoever said I was complaining about matches that I can find on Youtube. That's not the point....AT ALL. In fact somebody just mentioned the MAIN point of that argument. It's the fact that memorable matches like (Y2J/Beniot RR 01) CANNOT be remembered for the masses to see (you know that little boy in India that loves wrestling but doesn't have Youtube). It's the fact that OTHER PEOPLE'S hard work cannot be remembered because of him.

Randy Orton for example. THE YOUNGEST WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION! In his 3-Disc DVD they can only mention that he beat some guy at SummerSlam 2004. And to be honest, that's not fair AT ALL to Orton because he busted his (or kissed the right) ass to get to his spot at that point of his career.

Chris Jericho is another. Y2J has OPENLY admitted that his Ladder Match at Royal Rumble 2001 is one of his FAVORITES of his ENTIRE career! And in pre-2007 world has WWE released a 3-Disc set on Y2J you can beat your sweet arse that match would be on there. But now? It can't. Because of Beniot.

I guess now that I re-read my blog it's a little contradicting. I believe that Beniot should NEVER be forgiven, but that he's LEGACY as a wrestler should NEVER be forgotten.
    So he sould be remembered as the wrestler and not the monster but should be stricken from the record?

RECORD
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to set down in writing or the like, as for the purpose of preserving evidence.

So how are people supposed to remember the wrestler if there is no record of the wrestler?
    Way to contradict yourself buddy.

O and for the record I think it's stupid that they marked him out of the record books. They were selling a product with Benoit, just like with every other wrestler weather they use their own name or a ring name and while yes its true that they are the same person, we all fell in love with the wrestler not the actual person. I think its stupid that people read into it and say things like "O well every time I see him now I think of what he did"......REALLY? What about before that? Were you sitting there watching him wrestle all the while thinking "Hey I wonder what's going on in that guys personal life"? FUCK NO! You were watching a Character and his personal life wasn't any of your concern, but now that he's done something wrong, you can't stop thinking about him. GIVE ME A BREAK!
    so i have to ask a question, am i at fault for the feelings i hurt because i didn't remember my childhood best friend after 20 yrs, not his name, face, nothing... because of concussions, i don't remember my childhood at all. think about that, looking at a class picture from third grade and wonder which kid was you ?
    what part of brain damage don't you people get, his BODY did the actions, his brain was gone well before that.

but i guess i would be at fault cause you know we all knew what would happen... wait , NO we didn't, no one knew what was happening to Chris Benoit, especially not him. with brain trauma induced rage there is no antecedent, nothing warns you...
    She he be forgiven no because there is nothing to forgive, was it horrific, yes definitely, i live in fear and we watch my behavior daily, because one day it may be me. am i a monster because of an injury? does it help that my concussions came from abuse as a child? so i'm less of a monster i guess than someone who literally killed himself so y'all could have great matches to watch, and when the price for what he did came due, it took his family as well... he didn't know that, if he had from everything said about him he'd have chosen his families well being but we will never know.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.