View RSS Feed

WWTNA Mark

The term paying your dues

Rate this Entry
Hey, if you don't know me, i'm WWTNA. I usually don't do blogs on a regular basis but I want to talk about a certain term that as been used in the wrestling business for ages, paying your dues. Lets get started:

I read on EWN that WWE isn't high on Kaitlyn because some WWE Divas doesn't think she paid her dues in the business. I think the term paying your dues can be looked alot of ways when you think about it. Guys like Stone Cold, Eddie Guerrero, and Chris Benoit all paid there dues in the wrestling business. Its not like they got everything handed to them on a silver pladder. Stone Cold had to work his way back up from being fired from WCW, Eddie and Benoit wrestled in many wrestling organisations and are fantastic wrestlers but they were being toyed around with in WCW and spent years in WWE before they were even World Champs. There moment didn't come too quick to them and they really had to work there asses off to get where there at today in the business and thats success. I can really understand where Val Venis was coming from when he said that he paid his dues in wresting which is true. Paying your dues really doesn't mean waiting for success, it just means adapting to the wrestling business. Here is another way of looking at the term "paying your dues.":

Some wrestlers are fast learners of the business and find success in the business more then others. The Rock, John Cena, and The Miz are good example of being fast learners of the business and finding success in the business more then others. Doesn't mean they got things handed to them on a silver pladder, it just means that they adapted more then others. Don't get me wrong, there wrestling skills aren't the best but they still know how to put on great matches. You can say that they didn't have to pay there dues.

So therefore, I find it wrong that some of the WWE Divas along with other people are getting on Kaitlyn not paying her dues. Maybe she can be a quick learner and adapt to the WWE life style pretty easily or maybe she will be a slow learner and adapt to the WWE life style step by step as the years to come but whose to say she won't find success in WWE because of not paying her dues???

Submit "The term paying your dues" to Digg Submit "The term paying your dues" to del.icio.us Submit "The term paying your dues" to StumbleUpon Submit "The term paying your dues" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If you had asked me like ten years ago what I thought "paying your dues" meant I would have had a clear cut answer...to me it meant spending time in the buisness and learning everything you could and spending time at the bottom and working your way up...Austin, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Bret Hart are all guys who personified paying your dues. Then there are guys like The Rock and Kurt Angle who may not have spent years in the buisness but were just so good you couldnt keep them from ascending but it was still apparent they worked their asses off and earned their spots.

Today, I really couldnt tell you what "paying your dues" mean...I get that I hear Cena and Orton are really hard workers and deserve their spots at the top. Then there are guys like Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger and Wade Barrette (not sure if I spelled his last name right) who clearly have not been around very long and yet they have already been champion or won the Royal Rumble or simply have had main event matches within months of first appearing on Raw and Smackdown. Talented and skilled they may be but what have they done to earn any of these things? There are plenty of talented and skilled men who have been around WWE for a while and yet are overlooked for newcomers like those I have mentioned. Does anyone really have to "pay their dues" anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaston80
    If you had asked me like ten years ago what I thought "paying your dues" meant I would have had a clear cut answer...to me it meant spending time in the buisness and learning everything you could and spending time at the bottom and working your way up...Austin, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Bret Hart are all guys who personified paying your dues. Then there are guys like The Rock and Kurt Angle who may not have spent years in the buisness but were just so good you couldnt keep them from ascending but it was still apparent they worked their asses off and earned their spots.

Today, I really couldnt tell you what "paying your dues" mean...I get that I hear Cena and Orton are really hard workers and deserve their spots at the top. Then there are guys like Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger and Wade Barrette (not sure if I spelled his last name right) who clearly have not been around very long and yet they have already been champion or won the Royal Rumble or simply have had main event matches within months of first appearing on Raw and Smackdown. Talented and skilled they may be but what have they done to earn any of these things? There are plenty of talented and skilled men who have been around WWE for a while and yet are overlooked for newcomers like those I have mentioned. Does anyone really have to "pay their dues" anymore?
    Exactly. Paying your dues doesn't really exist in today's wrestling thats why i'm wondering why Kaitlyn is being called out for not paying her dues. I get that she got sign less than six months and is an inexperienced wrestler but she can get better in the future. As I recall it, Trish Stratus was an inexperienced wrestler when she debuted in WWE not to mention that most of the WWE Divas came from the Divas Search. This doesn't just go for Kaitlyn, this goes for guys like Cody Rhodes, Drew Macntyre, and Wade Barrett who people say that they got handed everything and didn't pay there dues but its not like they aren't getting better and better each and everyday so you can't blame the E for going all out with them . This term is a poor excuse sometimes.
    I want to add that with John Cena, Miz and Sheamus is that they have payed their dues, but not because they are fast learners. These three guys are incredibly hard working! At one point, the miz was appearing at shows he wasn't even scheduled at just to learn, something sheamus has been doing recently (Think it was Bret Hart that said this). Maybe there's more to it that that; Kaitlyn was a swimsuit model (or some kind of model anyways) so it's hypocritical for the divas to have heat with her when Kelly Kelly was actually found in the exact same way!
    Alberto Del Rio was only headlining the biggest Mexican promotion for 10 years is all....

Anyhoo, that term no longer exists the way it used to. There isn't a territory system anymore. You don't work your way through the territories until you make it to a major company.
    just have to say in my opinion if anyone has paid thier dues and deserves to be champ it is morrison
    The Miz is a prime example of someone who got their career handed to them! The only reason he ever got into the WWE is because the guy was a walking promo for them on the Real World and publicity is good. It was mutually beneficial for the WWE to bring Miz in and train him as a wrestler. He's complete overrated garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpacfan
    The Miz is a prime example of someone who got their career handed to them! The only reason he ever got into the WWE is because the guy was a walking promo for them on the Real World and publicity is good. It was mutually beneficial for the WWE to bring Miz in and train him as a wrestler. He's complete overrated garbage.
    I gotta disagree. It took Miz 5 years to reach where he is at today. Miz worked his ass off becoming WWE Champion and just because he reached success alot faster then others doesn't mean he got things handed to him, he earned it. Walking promo or not, WWE would't have put the WWE title on him if they didn't think he was ready to become Champion. This is why i'm saying that paying your dues doesn't always work in the business and its merely used as an excuse not to push wrestlers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.