View RSS Feed

mosdope

Reborn-Again Fan: My Thoughts on present-day WWE & TNA Part I

Rate this Entry
Let me start this post off by stating a few things:
  • I began watching wrestling in 1993.
  • I stopped watching wrestling around late 2005.
  • I started watching wrestling again in December 2010.
  • I'm 22 years old.

What might bring me back to wrestling you might ask after a 5-year layoff? After having discussions with co-workers of mine about old pay-per-view events and past champions, along with hours spent on wrestling quizzes from Sporcle.com, I decided to give it a shot again.
The way that I will organize my thoughts is I'm going to list each promotion and name three things I like and dislike each promotion.
Part I will discuss WWE.

WWE
Positives:
The Future looks good: During my intial two week start, I was very reluctant to accept the new superstars. I had to tell myself, "Mos, the WWE is nothing like it was when you were 12. Remember, you're now 22 years old with many different interests." Once I realized this, I immediately embraced the new stars. Guys like Cody Rhodes, Del Rio, Morrison, Punk, Miz, etc. All of these guys show great promise in some form or another. If I was the head writer, I would be drooling all over the new talent that WWE has.

Divas: When I was watching wrestling before, I would always skip the Diva matches. They were boring and just an overall botchfest in my opinion. I think the only Diva I came close to enjoying was Lita. Now I actually watch the matches. Ladies like Natayla, Gail Kim, & Michelle McCool(yes, I like her) make the division interesting.

Production of the product: When I watch WWE pay-per-vew, I truly feel as if I'm watching something special. The PPVs truly feel important and you can tell the company still goes out of their way to make most superstars seem "larger than life."

Negatives:
Credibility of Championships: Let me begin this by saying that I think the days of the year-long championship reigns are gone and I'm glad. But at the same time, I'd like to at least feel like a champion is great. I like Jerry Lawler as much as the next guy(Up until '04 that is and I'm from TN so I've been watching the guy in USWA/MCW & WWE) but can we at least have Miz defend his title at a ppv against a guy I actually feel like could win? That's the main issue of mine with the wrestling business today, there are very few matches that I can't already just look at and figure out the outcome.

Bad writing: This is all my opinion of course, but some of the superstars have gotten incredibly stale over the years. I'll admit, the over-emphasis on guys like HHH, Cena & Orton was a significant reason I became uninterested in WWE. But I noticed since I've started watching, it doesn't bother me so much that Cena or Orton win so much. In my opinion, they put people over more than people give them credit for. I just don't find it believable when John Cena is beating up 5 guys by his lonesome or Randy Orton's cinematics when he's "coiling." Now don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with the PG product necessarily. Times have changed and a heel turn for Cena might not work as well as it did in the past(even though I think it can be done effectively). Wrestlers need to be given better material for promos, build up more stars instead of burying guys(Sheamus, Swagger, Dibiase, etc). Why not have better written feuds, you don't have to have a guy say bad things about someones deceased father(bossman/big show) or call a guy out for a murder(kane/hhh) in order to have a good feud.

Too many skits:
I think the reason I usually prefer Smackdown to Raw is because it seems to me that they have more matches. I understand the need to have skits, but can we at least have time to see good matches? I like Daniel Bryan as much as the next guy and I enjoyed when he was actively involved in matches on Raw but can we do a little more with the guy? Why not have him in some sort of feud for his United States title. I think they were hinting at something of the sort with his little confrontation with Sheamus. I also wish they would do more with Nexus just so they don't seem like aimless followers.

Overall I enjoy the WWE product. It's fun to watch and although I mentioned they need to write better feuds, they have done well in my opinion with some of the current feuds. I'm looking forward to see where Punk/Orton, Del Rio/Edge, & Rhodes/Mysterio go. Wrestlemania is shaping up to be a wonderful card.

Thoughts & Opinions are welcomed before I write my Part II covering TNA.

Submit "Reborn-Again Fan: My Thoughts on present-day WWE & TNA Part I" to Digg Submit "Reborn-Again Fan: My Thoughts on present-day WWE & TNA Part I" to del.icio.us Submit "Reborn-Again Fan: My Thoughts on present-day WWE & TNA Part I" to StumbleUpon Submit "Reborn-Again Fan: My Thoughts on present-day WWE & TNA Part I" to Google

Updated 02-28-2011 at 09:29 AM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good blog, I'm jus sayin...
    Piece of advice for ya mate.
    The blogs are not a job application. If you want a job writing articles apply.
    Putting up "[I]Parts[/I]" to your blog may seem very sophisticated but it isn't, it makes you like a pompus prick and it doesn't get the people in just look at all your comments.

Just some constructive critisism... Look back for Part 2 soon... See how gay that reads?
    nothing wrong with a well wrote blog. whats with the unprovoke abuse. i enjoyed it im sure ill have more to say on the tna blog
    Very clean format...looks professional
    Candlelarbra5212, your criticism isn't exactly constructive or even remotely warranted... I don't think because you don't appreciate the style of writing or presentation really gives you a right to call him, "a pompous prick".. Just because it's something you don't appreciate, doesn't mean it's crap. It's a well articulated piece of writing, with a clear context (or perspective) given for the writing. The structure is a little formal but nothing is wrong with that.. Substantially better then most of the blogs on this site. Nice work, mosdope..

Here's an idea, instead of being an 'armchair' critic you actually do a piece of writing of your own that contributes in an beneficial discursive manner.. So, offer a different opinion, or tone of writing in your work but most importantly do something beyond shouting from the sidelines like a drunk.. (I call this 'Put your money in your mouth or GTFO!)
    Well said Wedge_00.....

mosdope - good blog, well thought out points and a clear format which made reading this blog a lot easier. Unfortunately, you will get some people who feel the need to 'lash out' at every little thing, but as Wedge_00 pointed out, they seem to have no input other than that. My 'piece of advice' for you would be - let those comments go over your head, they aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

On a seperate note - candlelarbra5212 - just a few points;

- If you wish to emphasise a word, you put it in 'these' not "these"
    - You is spelt exactly that way, not 'ya'
    - You seem to be incapable of using commas in your sentences, therefore your writing is grammatically poor/incorrect.......

......No offence meant, usually I wouldn't bother pointing these mishaps out due to the current trend of people who wish to 'amend' the English vernacular or may not know any better - I don't judge people....

Just some 'constructive criticism' for you. (And I managed it without insulting you needlessly, go figure!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly-Pablo
    Well said Wedge_00.....

mosdope - good blog, well thought out points and a clear format which made reading this blog a lot easier. Unfortunately, you will get some people who feel the need to 'lash out' at every little thing, but as Wedge_00 pointed out, they seem to have no input other than that. My 'piece of advice' for you would be - let those comments go over your head, they aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

On a seperate note - candlelarbra5212 - just a few points;

- If you wish to emphasise a word, you put it in 'these' not "these"
    - You is spelt exactly that way, not 'ya'
    - You seem to be incapable of using commas in your sentences, therefore your writing is grammatically poor/incorrect.......

......No offence meant, usually I wouldn't bother pointing these mishaps out due to the current trend of people who wish to 'amend' the English vernacular or may not know any better - I don't judge people....

Just some 'constructive criticism' for you. (And I managed it without insulting you needlessly, go figure!)
    If there was a 'like' button I would defo use it on this. Fail 5212
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.