View RSS Feed

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK

YcCmC 3 - Smackdown v Raw No More!

Rate this Entry
I am not referring to the video game.

The night before the first ever draft on Raw back in 2002, I attended the last live show in Rutherford, NJ that used the merged roster. It was a sad sight to see The Dudleys, after a victory, get on the mic and say "this maybe the last time you see us tagging together." As we all know now that wasn't the case thanks to TNA. But back in a time where WWE had ECW and WCW in their pocket they could afford to spread talent that thin because they had so much of it. This is why I call for the re-merge of Smackdown and Raw to make WWE, a much more enjoyable show. Here are some of my thoughts about the events that have taken place from 2002-present.

Smackdown to Fridays
Honestly, I will never figure out why this move was made. Why take one of your shows and move it from a night where it was doing good (to my understanding) and place it onto a night that is known for not staying inside and watching TV? I guess with Tivo and DVR it makes it okay, but how many of us first, watch Smackdown live or second, fastforward through 3/4 of the show?

Personally, I have not watched Smackdown since the move and I am so completely unattached from the product. Beside Rey, Edge, and Taker I can not even name 5 guys on the roster (Swagger, Ziggler, Big Show, Carlito?). So when I illegally stream my WWE PPVs, half the time I am either like:
Who the - is that?
What is going on?
I think I'll grab a snack during this match.

This brings me to my next point.

Separate Brand PPVs
I know it was probably not the best business model, but it worked on so many levels. It was okay not to watch on Mondays or Thursdays (before the move) and just order the PPV of the brand you were following. Not only did it save some money, but it assured 2 months of build-up for matches. Storylines could be developed and it would be worth the obscene amount of money to see the settlement of the feud. In my opinion, if you are going to put both shows on every PPV, might as well show them on every show.

Championship Belts
WWE got rid of many of the ones that were used in 2002, not to mention 25% of the belts are defended on both shows today anyway. Would it not make the belts more meaningful if the whole roster had a chance at them? Unite the WWE and the WHC belt (call it whatever), keep the Tag Team (and make some actual tag teams), Divas (Hardy's belt) and keep the IC and US for the midcard.

How to Make it Work
This part is easy. WWE uses the same sets for both shows anyway, so just travel with both sets. Have Raw live on Mondays and tape Smackdown the next night in the same/close city. Or just have Raw and Smackdown back to back in the same city. All live events can be held around close to the city until its time for next week.

More exposure for the newer talent, new storylines can emerge (no more Cena v Orton), and we could get back to the wrestling since there is no need for two whole nights for story telling.

If we have a reason to watch Smackdown, I am sure many of us would.

But what do I know? I do not run a billion dollar corporation.
What do you think?
Thanks for reading!

Crack, out.

Submit "YcCmC 3 - Smackdown v Raw No More!" to Digg Submit "YcCmC 3 - Smackdown v Raw No More!" to del.icio.us Submit "YcCmC 3 - Smackdown v Raw No More!" to StumbleUpon Submit "YcCmC 3 - Smackdown v Raw No More!" to Google

Tags: read this
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i have been thinking this for a while.. if you merge the rosters together then it immediatly would create more depth, there could me more fued, more variation, more creativity. rather than having dolph ziggler vs edge for 4 weeks in a row, or cena vs orton for 4 years in a row.

wwe should unify wwe/whc together maybe do it at wrestlemania, the tag titles have already been done... the us and intercontinetal should be unified as effectivly they are the same prestiege, and bring back the cruiserweight for the smaller guys.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.