View RSS Feed

Anyrysm

The Roaring Silence at the Royal Rumble

Rate this Entry
I have been a member here for a couple months, but this is my first blog; so I'll keep it fairly short and to the point.

Last night (as we all know) was the Royal Rumble, and for my money I thought it was a great event. The three matches leading up to the rumble were all very good, with great pacing and great showings by the younger talent (i.e. Miz and Ziggler). Even the Rumble itself I found very enjoyable with the various in-ring story lines that played out, from the domination of New Nexus to the hilarious (IMO) partnership of Cena and Hornswaggle to the surprise appearance of Nash and Booker to the fulfilled destiny of Alberto Del Rio. There will be those who disagree with me and that's perfectly all right, but there is one thing I really wanted to take note of: the total and utter silence that occurred during the two instances that Orton and Cena faced off.

Even watching from home the silence of the crowd during those face-offs was awkwardly unsettling. I'm guessing WWE was trying to relive the moments of the early 90s when Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior faced off in the Rumble; two huge faces facing off, but unlike the 90s the scenario that played out last night could at best be described as disinterest.

I am a huge fan of Orton and ever since Cena has been out of the championship picture, I've viewed him more favorably. But the silence during their brief showdowns spoke volumes: no one wants to see Orton v. Cena for the 80 millionth time. I'm willing to wait for the young prospects to develop into stars, I have been a fan for most of my life and I will continue to be for years to come. But the WWE has always stated that their decisions are largely based on fan reaction and response. I hope they're listening because the WWE Universe seemed to be screaming in total silence that we don't want to see Orton v. Cena anytime soon.

Submit "The Roaring Silence at the Royal Rumble" to Digg Submit "The Roaring Silence at the Royal Rumble" to del.icio.us Submit "The Roaring Silence at the Royal Rumble" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Roaring Silence at the Royal Rumble" to Google

Updated 01-31-2011 at 07:49 PM by Anyrysm

Tags: wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Totally agreed
    Agree 100%.
    There was silence during Orton and Cena for several reasons imo.
    1. People are fed up of seeing orton and Cena in a rivalry...it's overdone. They just don't have the charisma or the solid history that the big fueds had. Where as the big face offs in the 90s (Austin v Rock or Hogan v Warrior) were always entertaining and built up to a huge confrontation.
    Remember the face off between Triple H and HBK last year? that got a huge pop. Jericho and HBK would get a huge pop during a face off. Hell, even an undertaker v Triple H staredown would have caused a huge reaction! The difference between all of these and Cena/Orton is mainly down to the fact that they all have a GREAT history with great matches. Something Cena and Orton really don't have. Cena has boring fueds... i said it.
    2. Crowd was popped out after Nash, Booker, Chavo's Amigos and booing vickie.

As you said though, they aren't as big as WWE seems to think they are. If they really were the new Rock and Austin then last night must have proved to Vince that they aren't anywhere close.
    i was more concerned about the silence when kofi went up against cena...those were pretty good spots imo
    Wasn't paying attention, or I forgot about the moment. Probably forgot about it, its old.
    I was actually at the Royal Rumble with three die-hard wrestling fans, as well. Not one of us, at the end of the night, brought up the Cena/Orton face-off. Much like all of you here, if this was the first time it happened...sure the crowd would be in it more. We have seen this angle way too many times.

The Edge/Ziggler match started off slow but it picked up quick and had a great finish. Unfortunately, the Miz/Orton much did not live up to the hype. It started slow and continued slow until the very end. I can't seem to place blame on either one of them but it was not there best showing.

Thank god for CM Punk coming out #1. Without that, I'm not too sure how the Rumble would have played out in the beginning.

The loudest pop of the night was Booker T hands down. Everyone knew it was coming but it didn't matter.

The writing team should ban themselves for putting together anything for Cena/Orton until 2014.

But you already knew that...
    great writing there Anyrysm

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.