View RSS Feed

wrestlinggrl77

Is John Cena the 21st Century's Version of Hulk Hogan?

Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average.
When I say the name John Cena most of you will either applaud or boo loudly. JC is one of the most polarizing figures in wrestling today. So to mention his name with one of wrestling's most beloved figures seems crazy. Right? Not in my opinion and I'll tell you why.

1. Marketability - Though many people hate him, his merchandise sells. Kids look up to him. He has transcended wrestling. Even if you're not a wrestling fan, many people know the name John Cena. Yeah, he has a 50/50 record with movies but Hogan wasn't a movie star yet he is a pop icon.

2. Charisma - Though many haters won't like it, John Cena is a great talker but an average wrestler. Hulk Hogan had two or three signature moves but his talking made up for his lack of skill in the ring.

3. Super Strength - Hulk Hogan had many matches with people we all know should've beaten him (Andre the Giant?) yet Hogan somehow found the strength to overcome overwhelming odds. The same with John Cena. Cena always finds a way to win even it is by the most unbelievable means. The Summerslam match with Nexus is a great example of this.

4. Franchise Player - Hulk Hogan was the franchise player for WWE for many years during the Golden Age of wrestling in the 80's. The Rock took the mantle for a while in the 90's now it's Cena. John Cena is the face of the WWE which has built a well oiled machine around him.

5. Catch Phrases - Love, Loyality, and Respect, Don't Give Up, all of these phrases cater to kids and their parents just like Hulk Hogan's Eat your vitamins and Say your Prayers were in the 80's.

For those of you wishing he'd go away, Super Cena's going to be around for years to come as long as WWE is making money from him.

Submit "Is John Cena the 21st Century's Version of Hulk Hogan?" to Digg Submit "Is John Cena the 21st Century's Version of Hulk Hogan?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is John Cena the 21st Century's Version of Hulk Hogan?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is John Cena the 21st Century's Version of Hulk Hogan?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Everyone is alway talking about Cena and marketing towards kids. I love wrestling but should we be trying to market staged violence to kids?
    Cena has charisma and great mic skills, but he has no wrestling ability. He sucks as a wrestler, but is great at entertaining kids. Don't get me wrong I do like him, but to compare him to hogan is wrong. He needs a major heel turn to get the respect of the older wrestling fans. Until then he will just be a kid favorite.
    The comparisons between Hogan and Cena are obvious, but I have to say that while Cena may be this generations Hogan, he still can't hold a candle to the Hulkster. The Rock, and Steve Austin were about the closest thing to being on par with Hogan. As others have stated, Hogan was simply bigger than wrestling itself at one point. Movies, cartoons, talk shows..etc. He really did become a household name, and paved the way for wrestling to be what it is today.
    Ok I just read someone say that hogan wouldn't be where he's been without the NWO....ARE YOU MOTHER F"N KIDDING ME?! Hogan was the MAN in yellow and red long before the No Wrestling Order came out to have fun time with Eric Bishoff on what can only be described as the titanic of the wrestling industry, The WCW. Bottom line is Hogan did that gimmick crap for the money and he got as much as he did because of the foundation he already had loooong before the NWO.
    Ok I just read someone say that hogan wouldn't be where he's been without the NWO....ARE YOU MOTHER F"N KIDDING ME?! Hogan was the MAN in yellow and red long before the No Wrestling Order came out to have fun time with Eric Bishoff on what can only be described as the titanic of the wrestling industry, The WCW. Bottom line is Hogan did that gimmick crap for the money and he got as much as he did because of the foundation he already had loooong before the NWO.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.