Is John Cena the 21st Century's Version of Hulk Hogan?
by, 08-18-2010 at 10:36 AM (7817 Views)
When I say the name John Cena most of you will either applaud or boo loudly. JC is one of the most polarizing figures in wrestling today. So to mention his name with one of wrestling's most beloved figures seems crazy. Right? Not in my opinion and I'll tell you why.
1. Marketability - Though many people hate him, his merchandise sells. Kids look up to him. He has transcended wrestling. Even if you're not a wrestling fan, many people know the name John Cena. Yeah, he has a 50/50 record with movies but Hogan wasn't a movie star yet he is a pop icon.
2. Charisma - Though many haters won't like it, John Cena is a great talker but an average wrestler. Hulk Hogan had two or three signature moves but his talking made up for his lack of skill in the ring.
3. Super Strength - Hulk Hogan had many matches with people we all know should've beaten him (Andre the Giant?) yet Hogan somehow found the strength to overcome overwhelming odds. The same with John Cena. Cena always finds a way to win even it is by the most unbelievable means. The Summerslam match with Nexus is a great example of this.
4. Franchise Player - Hulk Hogan was the franchise player for WWE for many years during the Golden Age of wrestling in the 80's. The Rock took the mantle for a while in the 90's now it's Cena. John Cena is the face of the WWE which has built a well oiled machine around him.
5. Catch Phrases - Love, Loyality, and Respect, Don't Give Up, all of these phrases cater to kids and their parents just like Hulk Hogan's Eat your vitamins and Say your Prayers were in the 80's.
For those of you wishing he'd go away, Super Cena's going to be around for years to come as long as WWE is making money from him.