View RSS Feed

Stone Cold Sam Houston

Why PG is Here to Stay (Profits Over People)

Rate this Entry
As a Connecticut voter I heard the expression "Linda MacMahon:Profits Over People" quite a few times during the 2010 Senatorial campaign, which I didn't buy the way Blumenthal meant it. I do agree with the statement if by "people" you mean adult wrestling fans though. The WWE has watered down it product to the point that it is barely watcheable anymore. They have absolutely sacrificed storylines on the altar of "family programming". I am not going to go on and on with nostalgia for the Attitude Era as it has been done to death and I think PG is just symbolic of a greater problem. The WWE has chosen to limit itself in terms of content and in terms of talent. I'll start with content. There is no reason that Raw cannot move to a TV-13 rating so they could at least leave open storyline possibilities that are a bit more risque but without having anything explicitly sexual or wierd. Seriously, it's on from 9 to 11 pm on Mondays! As I saw it mentioned in a thread here recently, wrestling is by nature violent so it doesn't take much to exceed the standards of PG, leading to horribly boring (for the most part) storylines.

The other area the WWE is limitting the quality of its product is talent. I recently read that they are not interested in wrestlers (Superstars for the people who may have forgot) 30 or over. That is absurd. They had the opportunity to get Samoa Joe and didn't even talk to him. I don't know if it is because they don't want to give TNA credibility by acknowledging that someone it created has talent but I suspect its because they couldn't trademark his name and they don't want to pay him. The WWE keeps trying to make stars out of brand new wrestlers that nobody knows, not recognizing (or more likely just trying to cheat) that for a true star that progression takes years of build up.

This is all related to money. They take these guys with developemental deals and have them headlining Pay-Per-Views in two months of hitting the main roster because...it's cheap! I do recognize the need to make new stars, its vital to success, but what they're doing is lazy and designed for the quick dollar. Same thing with PG. Sure, Raw's ratings are about where WCW Nitro was in 2000/2001, but every kid in the audience bought the purple John Cena t-shirt and a Rey Mysterio mask and when John Cena comes out with a yellow t-shirt next month they'll buy that one too. I recognize that the purpose of the WWE is to make money not to entertain, but hopefully TNA (which is an entire other story) or someone will compete with them and make them better.

Submit "Why PG is Here to Stay (Profits Over People)" to Digg Submit "Why PG is Here to Stay (Profits Over People)" to del.icio.us Submit "Why PG is Here to Stay (Profits Over People)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why PG is Here to Stay (Profits Over People)" to Google

Tags: wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

zzzz another boring blog entree.You say it yourself ; there is an alternative TNA. Go watch it and stop bitching. There are people that like the WWE product (like myself). TNA has the worst storylines ever and they are not PG and try way too hard not to be PG. By cursing and adding ass to every sentence you dont create interesting storylines. By adding blood to a match ( which everyone knows is from blading) doesnt make it any more interesting to watch. Face it WWE is not going anywhere. Now stop your moaning, bitching and complaining and grow up or just stop watching WWE. Simple!
    @Sondreg that's harsh dude but you make some good points. Firstly there is an alternative TNA so you have the option of not watching the WWE. Secondly most of Tna storylines are rehashed or just plain boring, notice I said most not all. Thirdly at present I rather like the New Nexus storyline with cm punk, morrison, miz, dolph, bryan are all being pushed (some of my favorites), the womens division is slowly improving, Orton is their, RR is coming up so to me the WWE is not doing to bad and I am rather enjoying the product right now so I have nothin to complain about. As for not signing Joe I guess their are 2 sides: first the WWE has to much new stars right now so he would have been buried, and except for the internet fans/Tna fans many people don't know Joe, although he is one of the best performer their is that's just my opinion though. I think WWE is with the times Superstars appeal to kids and if they choose to exploit that market thats just good common sense. But I guess if WWE is so off putting to you just don't watch and their other options, I'm jus sayin...
    I'm not saying that a PG product can't be good, or even that WWE isn't worth watching. My main point is that I think there is potential for it to be way better than it is but they are putting limitations on themselves in terms of plotlines and personel. Many of the new talents are solid in the ring, but characters used to be developed over years so fans felt that much more satisfied when they did succeed. Also under the no new stars over 30 thing goes, if they took that view years ago there would have been no Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley (in WWE anyway) orquite a few others. I agree that blood, swearing and sex don't automatically make something better. As far as Joe goes steveorton, you have a pretty solid point that I overlooked. I would hate to see him buried like Gail Kim, but I still think they could have made it work. As far as "Face it WWE is not going anywhere" nobody said it should, I just think there is potential for more.
    I think WWE are doing alright, a lot better than lets say a year ago. I think its ridicilous to say WWE puts profits over the people, because they are not. Most of us here dont like Cena (including myself) but the main stream does like him. Even grown men in the crowd wearing those awful purple cena shirts. We wrestling purists represent a very small group of people. The ratings are alright and so are the buyrates. I think its a bit selfish to take that away from others just because you have a different preference. There are a lot of people to please and WWE is finally trying (or being forced) to create new stars. Morrison, Del Rio, Ziggler , Bryan are the brightest talents right now. I really like Bateman from NXT his corny patriotic char is really amusing and im sure we'll see a lot from him in the future.
    Profits over people, huh? They might be re-thinking their strategy if the company is underperforming stock market expectations.. Delivering around half of the expected profit...
    Really? Didnt WWE just sign Kong? If Joe is so great why has he been a mid-carder in TNA for the past 2 years? PG, PG-13 what ever... If your a so called "wrestling purist" then you shouldnt like TNA or WWE. WWE is back to the 80's when Hogan was the main man there and playing the Super Hero.. Now that part is being played by Cena. Hogan couldnt wrestle then and still cant. You should be watching Espn Classic where they show old NWA shows. There hasnt been "wrestling" in 20 years or more. It is all about E in WWE. It is all about the $$, parents buy shirts for kids and take them to house shows, and buy the video games for their kids. Do you think that WWE or TNA care what you think if you are not buying anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon man
    Really? Didnt WWE just sign Kong? If Joe is so great why has he been a mid-carder in TNA for the past 2 years? PG, PG-13 what ever... If your a so called "wrestling purist" then you shouldnt like TNA or WWE. WWE is back to the 80's when Hogan was the main man there and playing the Super Hero.. Now that part is being played by Cena. Hogan couldnt wrestle then and still cant. You should be watching Espn Classic where they show old NWA shows. There hasnt been "wrestling" in 20 years or more. It is all about E in WWE. It is all about the $$, parents buy shirts for kids and take them to house shows, and buy the video games for their kids. Do you think that WWE or TNA care what you think if you are not buying anything?
    The main difference between now and the '80s is that the '90s hadn't happened yet. They gave people what they really wanted for a few years, then changed everything to please corporate sponsors and shareholders. Hopefully, since the profits aren't where they should be either the WWE will have to return to putting out a quality product. I think they will learn that the profit from a t-shirt is the same whether it is for a kid or an adult. Also I never claimed to be a wrestling purist, but I do like to watch wrestling if it's done right, and truthfully I watch it even if it isn't but I won't be buying PPV's or tickets until it gets better.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.