View RSS Feed

Stihltygre

Popularity is a Star Killer

Rate this Entry
i've noticed a trend, not accusing anyone of anything but it seems any time a wrestler reaches a certain level of popularity we pick them apart. Cena, Orton, HHH... etc. just a reality check on my part here lets look at Super Cena.

Wrestling skill, CRAP really? no he has skills he may not have the greatest move set but he can sell he's one of the better people at LOOKING like he's getting his ass kicked. Does he need a Heel turn, no, why not? because he sells well heels need that skill less as they are usually on top in the match win or lose.

Mic skills? not gonna be very popular for this but the man has charisma, and a great way with a mic, i miss his funnier promos and agree he should be given more opportunity to be sarcastic, but he is one of the best in the business on the mic.

Story telling Skills? he has em. he's good at getting the story across, true his stories are usually pretty simple, but he is a good in ring story teller.
i'd love to see him in more interesting situations, and use more of his skill set but he's not BAD, he's just a bit "disney" if you know what i mean, but actually for a a disney kind of wrestler he does it well.

Orton, honestly i think orton is one of the best wrestlers out there, great move set ( screw the RKO that hangman ddt looks sick as shite) one of the few wrestlers that truly can pull off menacing and disturbed. he can tell a good story and take a bump.

where is he weak , Mic skills... but his character doesn't need them as much. The Apex Predator doesn't need mic skills, he's supposed to be a nothing to talk about i'm gonna kill you kind of guy.

HHH is basically a combination of Cena and Orton, great mic, very good ring skill, and one of the best intro songs ever ( sorry had to mention because Lemmy is god)

now lets look at our recent chosen son, who we as internet fans are all about.

Daniel Bryan
some of the best ring skills i have ever seen, some fo the best story telling out there, from what i've seen not so much on the promo's I hear he dose better than he's been given, i hope to see it but for now I'm not hugely impressed. he's our next Benoit, send him out to make the top guy scared, but don't really ever push him.

Miz...
I HATE miz, which means he's doing his job right... not bad in ring, 2 yrs ago i'd have thrown up in my mouth a bit saying that but i'll give him credit, his ring skills have gotten honest to god legit, Can't sell a story in the ring, sorry i can predict him too easily and it's mostly spot to spot, if he didn't irritate his way into major heat he would not have the belt. GREAT mic skill like WOW, how does he sell an injury don't know they don't let him. I really wish WWE would go for real heat not this cheap Miz Vicky annoying heat.

as for the tendency to toss a disparaging comment on how many botches some of the newer faster Faces have... ever notice that these guys are also the faster high risk types, more spots means more mistakes, if all of them would be mat wrestlers WWE would be a snore fest. Guys like Bryan couldn't stand out.

i'm not really a Cena fan, he's a little too Disney for my consumption, but are we being honest or do we hate him because the kids love him and we're getting sick of seeing him?
just my few cents

Submit "Popularity is a Star Killer" to Digg Submit "Popularity is a Star Killer" to del.icio.us Submit "Popularity is a Star Killer" to StumbleUpon Submit "Popularity is a Star Killer" to Google

Updated 12-09-2010 at 09:00 PM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lemmy IS god. Glad you threw that in there. I'm a fan of HHH and a big fan of Orton. I agree that he doesn't need to have great mic skills thanks to his character. And when he starts freaking out going into Viper mode it's pretty awesome. I hated Miz, as you said 2 years ago, but I actually like him having the belt. I just hope his character doesn't rely too much on being a coward and not wanting to defend his belt. He's good, like Cole where he makes you HATE him.
    The title to this blog is decieving. It has nothing to do with how one's popularity affects them being a star. You're just giving us the tempature on the tip of WWE's dick!
    Xpacfan ,it's about how we as internet based wrestling fans feel about Stars. Dude buy a life cause you need one.
    Tittle97, that's what i worry about , they had him almost lose to a 55 yr old man... if they were serious about selling him as a skilled wrestler Lawler would never have gotten close, it made him look weak, orton fighting out of his finisher through the table made him look weak, and the fact that Cole loves him makes him look weak AND gay
    I have always thought that HHH was really really good, he has everything that takes to be a great wrestler, and randy is also one hell of a wrestler, in my opinion he is the most valuable wrestler right now ( im meaning that he is very popular, has great wrestling skills, its a 3rd generation superstar, i mean he is the most complete wrestler right now) and cena....... well he is the face of wwe and period, im not a particular fan of his but he is probably one of the guys who has an enormous job by being always in main event and not having a break unless he is injured so i respect the guy for all the effort he needs to give
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihltygre
    Xpacfan ,it's about how we as internet based wrestling fans feel about Stars. Dude buy a life cause you need one.
    Tittle97, that's what i worry about , they had him almost lose to a 55 yr old man... if they were serious about selling him as a skilled wrestler Lawler would never have gotten close, it made him look weak, orton fighting out of his finisher through the table made him look weak, and the fact that Cole loves him makes him look weak AND gay
    LOL! I know, watching him fight Lawler on Raw was strange to say the least...I never expected his first televised title defense to be against him, be a TLC match for hyping the ppv AND make him win due to interference from....COLE???? My g/f actually thought Lawler was gonna win the entire time. The whole match she was cheering for King and really really thought he would win, just based on her hatred for Miz. She's by FAR not a wrestling historian by any means but seeing how much she hates Cole/Miz especially in the last 4 months shows they are effective. I hope they don't make him like Jericho when he first had the strap....
    I like the post and subsequent comments; I actually kind of like Cena, my only problem with him is the unbearable repetitiveness of his matches (i.e. 15 minutes of getting beat down, come back with the 5 moves of doom). I think a great story-line would be for Cena to go on a losing streak. Start off with him getting counted out or cheap DQs and progress to a couple of flat out losses. It could re-establish him as an underdog...or at the very least go in a different direction without compromising the WWE's most popular persona.
    Im guessing Cena is the younger generations Hogan. I loved Hogan back in the day and still do (I know, I know I can't help it). He was the ultimate good guy and the kids loved him for it but the purists hated him for his limited moveset and the fact he was certain to win (sound familiar). Maybe he does need a heel turn for him to show that he has a larger moveset if he has one.

Back on topic though. Like anything in life people are inclined to dislike what is popular so this blog does have a point. Any wrestler who gets a certain degree of popularity with the fans is going to get picked apart. To use the example of music people can follow a band for years and as soon as they 'make it' they hate them because they're popular and everyone likes them. Think I may have waffled a bit though ha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.