View RSS Feed

JJKH

Random thoughts and opinions: Episode 0 - An introduction

Rate this Entry

Hello reader,

I've been a fan of Pro-Wrestling as long as I can remember; I have vague memories of being plonked in front of the old I.T.V. World of Sport wrestling as a toddler. But my true fascination with this art form (& it is an art form) came when we got Sky television for the first time and had access to the latter end of W.W.E.'s original Hulkamania driven boom period. I distinctly remember that my first P.P.V. was the 1990 Survivor Series on, at the time, Sky Movies. I was instantly hooked and it has remained something I am openly passionate about to this day.

Given my length of fandom; I am always fascinated by how the industry & my attitude towards it changes and evolves over time. If you asked 6 year old me who was the be all and end all when it came to the industry then I would have said Hulk Hogan; but ask me my opinion on Hogan now and I would start by saying I have never had a hero that has gone down so much in my estimation over time as I've learned more about the man behind the gimmick. Don't worry; I'm not going on a Hogan hate trip here; I'm just using it as personal example of what I'm talking about. As an uninformed kid who first gets into wrestling you take what's in front of you as it is; but as you get older and your passion levels remain the same you look back and it's a fascinating study of both psychology and the wrestling business.

So what's the point of what I'm saying? Well, I reflect back on 6 year old me as I stare 30 down the barrel this year and I marvel that something like wrestling is still a part of my life. It's probably been the most constant thing in an my ever changing and evolving existence; it's been a huge part of my life. Yes, I moan and gripe and hate it at times; but, in the end, I always come back to it.

This is an introductory post to what I hope will be a reasonably regular blog about this art form that I love; there will be no intended pattern or rhyme or reason to what I discuss, though I will tackle hot topics while their current if I'm inspired. As an aspiring novelist that has shown some level of talent (in the opinion of my peers and mentors; I'm not published yet) I hope to improve my skills in that area by trying to use this blog to open up an intelligent discussion with the I.W.C. at large; I will be expressing opinions and would love to hear what others have to say. As I stated earlier; wrestling IS an art form. As someone whom has worked in various different fields in the arts over the last fifteen years; I recognize that all art is subjective. You and me could look at the same painting and have entirely different opinions because of who we are and our differing tastes, interests and life experiences and that is what makes any art form truly wonderful; when you can have a reasoned and rational debate over your differences in perception. I welcome and encourage this; so feel free to take part.

Well; I think that's enough of a mission statement. Hopefully I've done enough to get you to at least give the first few posts in this blog a shot and join in with the conversation; I'm not sure what my first proper posting will be as of now, but I will do my best to try to provoke a meaningful exchange of opinions.

All the best until then.

JJKH

Submit "Random thoughts and opinions: Episode 0 - An introduction" to Digg Submit "Random thoughts and opinions: Episode 0 - An introduction" to del.icio.us Submit "Random thoughts and opinions: Episode 0 - An introduction" to StumbleUpon Submit "Random thoughts and opinions: Episode 0 - An introduction" to Google

Comments

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.