View RSS Feed

Tommy Thunder

Machester United's January Transfer Window: A Window of Opportunity?

Rating: 21 votes, 3.90 average.
To my knowledge, this is the first sports blog to be posted on this site. Hopefully, it'll be the first of many, as this blog section should be used for more than just wrestling related stuff.
This is also my first official blog on this site. I've participated in a few 'Blog Wars' in the past, but those weren't posted by me.
So here goes.

Moyes has been told that he'll get cash to spend in this January transfer window. Biggest problem with January is who the hell do you get? However, I think that with a World Cup coming up, then that could offer a slight saving grace for us (I'll get to that in a bit).

First though, apparently 6 European clubs have already made inquiries about taking Zaha on loan for the rest of the season, including Cardiff (Norwich, Stoke and Swansea are amongst the others). Apparently, they're waiting for an assessment of Nani's injury before deciding on that one though.
I'm all for sending Zaha out on loan for the rest of the season to be honest. He's barely played at all this season, and it's a complete waste to have him in the reserves or sitting on the bench (he's been on the bench the past few games but still hasn't been used) only for him not to be playing. Moyes needs to make a decision; either give the guy some playing time, or send him out on loan. I expect to see him being sent to Cardiff though, and that would be a great move for all I think.

Another issue that's creeping up is that talks have yet to be opened about extending the contracts of Rio and Evra (both whom have clauses in their contracts to extend their deals for another year), and Vidic and Fabio are both free to talk to other clubs as of now, since they're both out of contract in the summer.
I'm all for keeping Evra another year based on his form this season. Rio on the other hand, I quite honestly would be fine with him moving on. I feel that Johnny Evans has been very hard done by, since during the past two seasons when he had to cover for Vidic when he was injured, and then again for Rio when he was injured, he was phenomenal. He's arguably been our best centre back in the last couple of seasons IMO. I'd be happy letting Rio go for Evans to step up.
Vidic we simply have to keep. I hope to God that we can offer him a suitable deal that will see him staying with us. Fabio, well, I seem to be the only remaining fan of the guy. I stand by what I've always said about him though, and I'll be disappointed to see him leave.

Apparently talks with the above players will take place, and that these talks will interestingly include Wayne Rooney's representatives. This is interesting because this is something I've foreseen coming. Given how United are looking to be in a scrap for a Champions League place this season, and that there's key players out of contract in the summer (Rio, Evra and Vidic), and last summer's failure to lure any good players then surely that's not going to sit well with Rooney, and the inevitable drama that is "will Rooney stay at United this summer" is without a doubt going to hound us again this summer (and it'll probably ruin England's World Cup plans with Rooney distracted, as always). So I guess that Rooney's representatives will be sitting in for these talks to seek assurances that United isn't in some crisis or panic.

As for the transfer window, United are apparently in the market for a left back and a midfielder. If they're insisting on finding a replacement for Evra, then January is the worst possible time to do it. Who of Evra's calibre are you going to get in January? Nobody is the simple answer to that. However, going back to Madrid for Coentrao is something that could be possible, but again, I'll get to that later.

As far as midfielders go, again, who can you get in January? I've seen people say that United should go for Marco Reus, but come on, let's be serious, why would he leave Dortmund to come to United at this point? I could potentially see us bidding for him in the summer, but we'd have to secure a top 4 spot to do that, since he's not going to want to come if he's not playing Champions League football next season. There are rumblings that Yohan Cabaye could be an option. Arsenal are also still interested apparently, but to be honest, if I was Wenger, I wouldn't want to disrupt the Arsenal midfield in it's current form by bringing in yet another player in the middle of the park. Plus, with how competitive the Arsenal midfield is right now, would Cabaye want to go there? I think there's more chance of him getting a starting berth 100% guaranteed every week at United right now.

As I said at the top, our saving grace could be that a World Cup is upon us this summer. Now, because of this, there are some players (very good players) who may be out of favor at certain clubs, but are looking to make it into their respective countries World Cup squads. These players would certainly be interested in a short term loan deal away from their current clubs until the end of the season in an attempt to impress their respective international managers and make it into the World Cup squad.
Who am I talking about? Well Fabio Coentrao for one. With only 4 appearances to his name at Madrid this season due to injuries mainly, he may be interested in a loan move to United for the remainder of the season to cement his place for the World Cup, and to stay match fit.
Juan Mata is another clear example. Grossly and stupidly out of favor, he's not guaranteed to go to the World Cup with Spain at this rate, and he desperately needs games from now until the end of the season to make sure of that. Mourinho said just a couple of days back that the door was possibly open for him, and indeed Michael Essien to leave Chelsea. While I could certainly see Chelsea letting Essien move to United (a move that I'd welcome with open arms), there may be some reservations about letting Mata join United. But if a loan deal could be secured, then who knows, we could see that happening. Essien would bring much needed steel to the United midfield, the steel that Fellaini has so badly failed to bring. I don't need to explain what Mata would bring. As great as Kagwa is, he's not his the form he shows at Dortmund since moving to United (not just under Moyes, but last season too), and he's only showed glimpses of that form. Mata has proven he can deliver in that creative role in the Premier League, and he would be great to have playing behind Rooney and Van Persie, or Hernandez, he could even benefit Welbeck too I think. Even if it were just a loan deal until the end of the season, then I'd welcome this. Sure, he's cup tied, domestically and for the Champions League, but it's the League I'm more concerned about for United, and he'd help us push for 4th if he came in.

I'm sure there's many other players across Europe that would on any given day slot into the best of European sides, but find themselves out of favor at present, and with a World Cup coming up, would be interested in a loan move until the end of the season to try and push for those World Cup squad places.
Sure, these moves don't benefit United in the long term, but the point is; we can't and won't lure any big names in January, but we also won't lure them in the summer if we don't get a Champions League spot this season. To me, we need to just make sure we get that 4th spot and then in the summer we need to make a big effort to sign some big players to help us kick on for next season.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Submit "Machester United's January Transfer Window: A Window of Opportunity?" to Digg Submit "Machester United's January Transfer Window: A Window of Opportunity?" to del.icio.us Submit "Machester United's January Transfer Window: A Window of Opportunity?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Machester United's January Transfer Window: A Window of Opportunity?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    As a fan of Manchester United, I have to say that this is in the wrong place. This website is called ewrestlingnews.com and caters towards professional wrestling, and amateur variants like MMA. Please do not post football blogs here... people come here for wrestling blogs, not football blogs.
    Haha I am so happy this was posted. 5 stars!
    [QUOTE=kylos;bt76757]As a fan of Manchester United, I have to say that this is in the wrong place. This website is called ewrestlingnews.com and caters towards professional wrestling, and amateur variants like MMA. Please do not post football blogs here... people come here for wrestling blogs, not football blogs.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, the admin of the site is the one who says what blogs are allowed and which aren't, not you. So as long as he's happy for blogs of these nature to be posted, then I'll continue to take advantage of that outlet.
    My ultimate aim would be for an 'Off-Topic' blog section to be created for blogs like this one so that it's not cluttered with the wrestling blogs, but that will I'm sure depend on how much demand there is.

As a Manchester United fan though, it would be nice to hear your opinion on the topic at hand.
    Cheers for stopping by :)
    I really enjoyed this insight, I am a city fan but, very enjoyable Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by kylos
    As a fan of Manchester United, I have to say that this is in the wrong place. This website is called ewrestlingnews.com and caters towards professional wrestling, and amateur variants like MMA. Please do not post football blogs here... people come here for wrestling blogs, not football blogs.
    As a Manchester City fan, >moyes. (Just ignore blogs that don't appeal to you. It's quite easy.)

Awesome news that you got a blog like this through. Hopefully more to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylos
    1. Since the editorials bumped blogs off the homepage, the average views for each blog has gone from approx 3000+ to maybe 1000, meaning the general public barely views these anymore. This has personally deterred my interest although I'll still keep an eye out for them.

2. This is arguably the best blog published in weeks.

3. Man U is the biggest sports team in history, so it will surely generate a lot more interest than 25 nearly identical mock RR/WM cards.

Let the man do his thing. I keep up with soccer, although I am not savvy enough on the topic to contribute to this discussion. However, I did enjoy reading this and actually skimmed it a second time.
    Glad to see something like this go through, I have wanted to do some sports blogs but never got the courage to do so. Might try one out now.

Also like the idea of having an off-topic blog section, not just a separate section in the threads
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.