View RSS Feed

Robstar

Bringing Meaning Back To Tired, Old Titles

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Way back when I was a lad, each title meant something special and individual in it's own right. Granted, there were fewer, but each one represented a certain tier and level of accomplishment and herein I think, lies the answer.

WWE needs to reestablish a level of ranking where certain guys are only involved in one scene at a time. For instance, if you are in a tag team, you should rarely, if ever, show up in any angle or match concerning any other title. If you are one month fighting for the IC title, you cannot just be seen to be challenging for the WWE title at the next PPV - especially and particularly if you failed to win the IC title! Just what kind of message is that sending to fans? That the IC belt is meaningless, thats what.

WWE shies away from rankings (aside from the very bogus "#1 Contender") because they don't want the fans to see anyone as less than the others. They are all "SUPERSTARS"!!! Well it's making everything bland and boring because it's turned into a flat and featureless landscape. What WWE doesn't want to acknowledge is that we already do see them in terms of title level, yet they keep trying to force us into wanting Cena or Orton with the main titles and someone like Bryan with a tag belt.

Wresting needs a caste system. You cannot have angles and storylines that will work for very long without a clear hierarchy. It needs it to bring that passion and touch of belief - that spark of excitement that it seems to have lost.

Submit "Bringing Meaning Back To Tired, Old Titles" to Digg Submit "Bringing Meaning Back To Tired, Old Titles" to del.icio.us Submit "Bringing Meaning Back To Tired, Old Titles" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bringing Meaning Back To Tired, Old Titles" to Google

Comments

Agreed to the fullest, brohime. The IC and US Championships are one and the same. It'd be OK to have both of these titles if they actually had separate brands, but as the climate is at the moment, they're indistinguishable for me. Same obviously goes for the WWE Championship and the WHC.

Hey, there's more than enough wrestlers to share between both brands right now, maybe they're going to split the rosters again soon. Well, I sure bloody hope they do anyway.
    "Wrestling needs acaste system." I couldn't have said it better myself. This is obvious since you’re a better wordsmith than me. Great points that are a more concise idea than just "the titles need more prestige" that gets flopped around far too often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero
    Agreed to the fullest, brohime. The IC and US Championships are one and the same. It'd be OK to have both of these titles if they actually had separate brands, but as the climate is at the moment, they're indistinguishable for me. Same obviously goes for the WWE Championship and the WHC.

Hey, there's more than enough wrestlers to share between both brands right now, maybe they're going to split the rosters again soon. Well, I sure bloody hope they do anyway.
    That would be a refreshing change. I remember back when they had the brand split, and Cena was on SD, I didn't have it, and I would have given anything to watch that show. It would be nice to see certain big stars split between the brands, because I then think the end result would be "Well if you are a Punk and Bryan fan, you tune into Raw for Bryan, and SD for Punk". Instead of how it is now.

But good blog Robstar. I agree with you whole heartily.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.