Results from Japan: AJPW 41st Anniversery Show. The return of the Funk Brothers!!
by, 11-03-2013 at 07:29 PM (923 Views)
( Source: Wrestling Observer)
10/27, Sumo Hall, Tokyo. 2563 in attendance.
1. Kenso pinned Mr. 450 (who wrestled as Mr. 450 Hammett in Puerto Rico and Chicago indies) in 3:43.
2. Masao Inoue & Hikaru Sato (Pancrase) beat Kazushi Miyamoto (Tenryu Project) & Nobutaka Araya (just coming out of retirement) in 10:06 when Inoue pinned Araya.
3. Dory Funk Jr. (at the age of 72) & Terry Funk (69) went to a 20:00 draw with Masa Fuchi (59) & Osamu Nishimura (42). Nishimura is a protege of sorts of Funk Jr. The Funks did everything the fans wanted to see, with Dory doing his double arm-suplex, the Funks double forearm smash as the guy came off the ropes, the stereo spinning toe hold spot in the middle of the ring, Dory's European uppercut forearm, Terry's left jabs and big right combination. The audience reacted to every single spot. People were surprised as they expected a short nostalgia match but actually got a good wrestling match. Terry hurt his ribs early in the match but he gutted his way through. Fuchi and Nishimura were said to be very excited to be able to take all the Funks moves since Fuchi was a guy they helped out when he started and Nishimura's favorite wrestler was Dory. They worked physical enough so that both Funk brothers busted their mouths.
After the match, Terry grabbed the mic and said, "I love Japan. I love you fans. You are the greatest people in the world." Dory then did an interview in fluent Japanese. The crowd rushed to the entrance way to mob them and it took them nearly ten minutes to get from the ring to the dressing room.
4. Joe Doering & James Raideen beat D-Lo Brown & Bambikiller in 13:40 when Doering pinned Brown with a spinning power bomb.
5. Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki retained the All-Asia tag titles (of late these have been the tag titles fought over by the good workers and have been the best matches in the promotion) over Shigehiro Irie & Keisuke Ishii of the DDT promotion when Aoki pinned Ishii with the Assault point in 20:14.
6. Yoshinobu Kanemaru retained the World jr. title pinning Sushi with the brainbuster in 15:30. Kotaro Suzuki came out to ask for the next title shot.
7. Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori revived their 90s tag team beating Go Shiozaki & Kento Miyahara in a battle of two of the favorites in the upcoming tag team tournament when Omori pinned Miyahara with the ax bomber (lariat) in 25:29.
After the match, Bambikiller & Brown attacked Shiozaki & Miyahara until Suzuki & Aoki made the save.
8. Akebono pinned Suwama in 19:30 after a piledriver to win the Triple Crown.