View RSS Feed

Callum

Getting A Reaction

Rate this Entry
Getting A Reaction

So this blog will be looking at gimmicks and getting a character over. In today's WWE it doesn't matter if you're the best wrestler, you need to be the overall package. After this its up to creative to give the wrestler a gimmick that will get them over. Now, today we have lots of wrestlers and they all seem to be the same. Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Jack Swagger, Antonio Cesaro the list goes on. They all play generic heel/face characters and there's not much differentiation between them.

This needs to change.

With gimmicks the best way to get a reaction is to make characters relatable to the audience. Look at Stone cold - the man who hates his boss, Daniel Bryan - the man nobody thinks can do it or Cena - the man that always wins.

The first two are pretty self explanatory but Cena may not be. First the adults - the booing fans. Everybody knows somebody who seems to be perfect. They always come out at the top whether its getting the best grades in school or winning the game in sport. Naturally we envy these people. Were fed up of them being seemingly perfect and although we won't admit it, part of us want them to fail. Now this in my opinion is the same as Cena. We're fed up of him coming out on top and just want him to lose, thus we boo. The kids - the cheerers, on the other hand want this hero they can look up to. They learn all about good guys and doing the right thing and when they see this character saving the day on TV they gravitate towards them. Thus, they cheer.

If characters are introduced when we are familiar with them then we'll be more inclined to give the desired reaction. If you introduce to me a dancing dinosaur i will find it absurd and will not watch. If you introduce to me a man chasing his dream then I'll want to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the more unique gimmicks. Kane, the Undertaker, Foley are all great characters who intrigue me and make me want to watch. I just think there should be a limit to these 'crazier' ones.

I'll give a couple examples to who I've routed for from their gimmick in recent years.
Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy
In this feud I was a firm supporter of Matt. I too am an older brother whose younger one seems to be everyone's favorite. Therefore I cheered for Matt though the feud
Daniel Bryn vs Corporation
Bryan is the one I want to win his feud and that's because like everyone I've had people not expect anything of me and to persevere through this is why I'll continue to watch.

Both characters I supported here were characters I felt I could relate to and this brings me onto the next point.

I read the Matt Hardy interview recently and agree with a lot of what he has to say. WWE shouldn't be insulting the audiences intelligence and I believe they need to further blur the line between heels and faces. Let us support who we want to and put two people in a feud letting the audience decide who they want to support. I'm not saying get rid of the heel/face set up completely but if a heels getting cheered don't drastically change their character.

The last thing I'd like to mention briefly is promos. I was watching the Jericho DVD recently and he mentioned how in WCW he would ask to do 1-2 minute promos on the way to the ring. I think they should give some of the lesser characters these promos in order to give them a character rather than being these generic characters we know today.

That's it for this blog. Please feel free to leave a comment below and have a good day. I'm not entirely sure this made complete sense but oh well. Hope it was a manageable read which made sense for the most part.

Submit "Getting A Reaction" to Digg Submit "Getting A Reaction" to del.icio.us Submit "Getting A Reaction" to StumbleUpon Submit "Getting A Reaction" to Google

Updated 11-01-2013 at 07:56 AM by Callum

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

terrible blog
    "differentiation" was there really any need for this?
    prickhead.
    That was all over the place. It sounded like it was a 3rd graders book report.
    Pointless,absolutely pointless.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.