View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Sudden Impact Special: Was Something Different This Week?

Rate this Entry
Hey fans. DK Wrestling Savior here with a special edition of Sudden Impact. I haven't posted in a while and it would seem a lot has happened. We had their Wrestlemania equivalent PPV this past Sunday, as well as a lot of developments such as Hogan leaving, cancelling Impact on the road, and a return to Universal in Orlando. There's a lot to talk about, so I'll give my thoughts on their attempt to take Impact on the road and then I'll review tonight's episode.

Was Taking Impact on the Road a Failed Venture?

I'll start this off admitting I was kind of wrong. For a while, I've completely supported TNA going on the road. It seems as though it was a failed venture as reports state they've cancelled most of their shows the rest of the year and have negotiated with Universal to return to one of their sound stages and tape enough Impact episodes to take us to the end of the year. Now, I'm pretty egotistical and will not say I was completely wrong in my thinking. I just think that they did things wrong with how they took the show on the road.

The first issue was how they travelled. They should've have toured, rather than sporadically jumped from one locale to the next. For example, they shouldn't have been in Ohio one week, and Texas the next. Hell, WWE doesn't even do that. Instead, they should have toured Texas first and did several episodes of Impact right from Texas. From there, hit the Northeast. Do a show in NY, Philly, Baltimore, etc. The reported money problems could have been avoided this way, or at least, cut down dramatically. They seem to have done well in the department of touring smaller college campuses, but again, they should've focused on one territory at a time. After Slammiversary in the Alamo Dome, they should've hit the campus of North Texas, followed by Sam Houston State or UTEP, so on and so forth.

The second issue was they did two tapings in one night. This caused a problem because you could tell how dead the crowd was for the second episode. They should've done the next week's taping the next day. Not only would it have a fresh, energized crowd, but it would also be more ticket sales. Oh My Golly Gee, what a magical concept.

The final issue was, they did nothing to promote. If you can't sell out 5000 - 6000 on a college campus on a weekly basis, then obviously, something's wrong. I don't think Dixie Carter is a dummy or incompetent in any way, however, I think she took the show on the road, probably at the suggestion of Hogan and Bischoff, without thinking it through and going at it with a plan. I think they can get back on the road, sooner or later, but plan it better and market it better. I think Dixie Carter sees the road show as something perhaps premature and it's back to the drawing board. If I were running TNA, I'd plan to get back on the road half of the time, with the other half being taped at Universal or even some other venue as a home. But what do I know, right?

So now that I got that little piece out of the way, It's time to review tonight's episode of Impact.

Now I don't know if it's just me or was there something different about this episode? My thinking may be shaded due to the report I read that Bischoff was not backstage at Impact and that there was some sort of staff meeting today which resulted in several cancellations of Live Impact tapings for the rest of the year. Who knows. But to me, something seemed different. The production quality actually seemed a little better than usual. The segments seemed to flow a little more smoothly. There was less botching than usual in the matches, and every segment seemed to serve a legit purpose. And the crowd was hot. Red HOT.

AJ Styles/Dixie/Bully Opening Segment

Again, this crowd is awesome. Very loud and very energetic. Dixie comes out to start things off and she's drawing some major heat. AJ comes out and both of them did a very good job in this segment. Dixie struggled when this storyline started, fumbling her words and coming off as a very bad actress in this role but has improved week by week and now, she's got it down. AJ was also very good on the mic tonight. They weren't tripping over each other's words, cutting each other off in awkward fashion, or anything that we've grown accustomed over the past several months. Dixie wants AJ on her team. She offers to cancel the rematch. Bully comes down. He attacks AJ after they spouted off on each other. The lights go out and Mr. Anderson returns. He chases Bully away and then gets arrested for his trouble. Very good segment. I cringed at one point during Anderson's promo when the whole crowd chanted "YES".

Knockouts Tag Team Match: Gail & Brooke vs Velvet & ODB

Decent match with Lei'D Tapa interfering and helping Gail get the win over Velvet. Seems like this will be the norm until someone takes out Lei'D Tapa. Who though? I wonder if someone will be returning at some point to take on this task.

Ethan Carter 3 (EC3) vs Someone

What a joke this was. EC3 wins easily. The best part was Taz talking about how dangerous this jobber guy was. I think we can expect EC3 to have these sorts of matches until someone steps up.

Kurt Angle/Bobby Roode Segment

Angle got a huge pop and more than halfway through the night, this crowd is still wild. Roode tore it up in this segment. He's great. They did a short battle leading to a rematch from BFG next week.

Magnus apologizes for his rude actions toward Sting at BFG.

Bromans Celebration

I'll be honest here. Robbie E is actually a pretty good heel. Get past the thousand times that he says "Bro" and he's actually not horrible on the mic. Storm and Gunner interrupted as did Bad Influence and Park & EY. Park got busted open and went all Abyss on everyone and chased Bad Influence. I guess Gunner & Storm will get their rematch but it didn't hurt that they kept these other tag teams in the picture during this segment. I'd like to see these other tag teams have regular matches against each other, like number one contender matches and such.

TNA World Championship: AJ Styles vs Bully Ray

Yes, there was only 3 matches tonight. Unless I'm missing something. Maybe I forgot one. Anyway, this match wasn't too bad. AJ carried it, as should be expected. At one point, Mr. Anderson came down and distracted Bully, allowing AJ to get the win. Bully and Anderson fought afterwards and I think we've seen Bully written out of the title picture. That can only be a good thing.

Dixie comes down after the match with a contract for AJ. I forgot to mention she offered him a watch and a car in the opening segment. She kept those on the table along with a contract with lots of 0's in it. AJ crumpled it up, wiped his ass with it, (I'm not kidding), and tossed it. He closed it out by saying the title belt is his and he took the keys from Dixie and drove the car away.

Conspicuous by their absences were Austin Aries, Jeff Hardy, and Samoa Joe. Also, no Chavo or Hernandez in the tag team shitstorm.

Overall, even though there was only 3 matches, one was a squash, the other two, average at best, there definitely something different about Impact and it was quite enjoyable. The Salt Lake City crowd had a lot to do with it I'm sure, but overall it looked good, came off good, no ring-high ramp, a lot of good lighting for entrances. I enjoyed Impact a lot this week. I wonder if this is a sign with no Bischoff backstage. Or maybe, like I said, my thinking is clouded by the reports.

I hope you enjoyed this edition of Sudden Impact. Thanks for reading and be safe.

Submit "Sudden Impact Special: Was Something Different This Week?" to Digg Submit "Sudden Impact Special: Was Something Different This Week?" to del.icio.us Submit "Sudden Impact Special: Was Something Different This Week?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sudden Impact Special: Was Something Different This Week?" to Google

Tags: tna impact
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was on my laptop while I watched Impact last night, and I honestly must have only raised my head up 5 or 6 times totaling 15 minutes for the entire show. I almost never hate on TNA, but that was not a great BFG follow up show IMO. No matches, no big happenings. Yeah I know Anderson is back and AJ is "gone", but none of it came off as a big surprise. A bit disapointed. The build up to BFG and the aftermath from it just didn't do it for me. The PPV itself wasn't bad. This was their chance to really break out and show that they are a premier program, and I honestly think they could've done wayyy better. Hope I didn't sound like a buzzkill ! Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    I was on my laptop while I watched Impact last night, and I honestly must have only raised my head up 5 or 6 times totaling 15 minutes for the entire show. I almost never hate on TNA, but that was not a great BFG follow up show IMO. No matches, no big happenings. Yeah I know Anderson is back and AJ is "gone", but none of it came off as a big surprise. A bit disapointed. The build up to BFG and the aftermath from it just didn't do it for me. The PPV itself wasn't bad. This was their chance to really break out and show that they are a premier program, and I honestly think they could've done wayyy better. Hope I didn't sound like a buzzkill ! Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah got to agree with Kajmere here. I casually watch TNA, but always read the results. I watched BFG, and thought it was a decent PPV, and I figured the first Impact after would be really good. I was wrong. Nothing stood out to me as "wow, this is great". I think back to Impact a few years ago, and I could watch and something, anything, would catch my eye and make me want to watch more. THis past weeks has just made me go "eh, if i watch it, i watch it, if not, oh well".
    Hey. Thanks for the comments. In retrospect, I guess I agree it wasn't that great of an episode. But as an avid watcher, I noticed a difference and it just seemed to come off a lot better than in recent weeks. Maybe it was the crowd that did for me. I don't know.

Thanks for reading guys.
    It is not a great TNA in the sense it had very less matches..but it is really different n I felt is very entertaining..I loved Dixie-AJ-Bully-Anderson angle...This episode will be okayish for non-regular people but for TNA fans it's really entertaining..
    bromans are really good..Robbie is actually becoming impressive with his every appearance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahu
    bromans are really good..Robbie is actually becoming impressive with his every appearance...
    Agreed. Robbie E is starting to grow on me a little. I still cringe at him saying "bro" every other word, but everything else is good right now.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.