View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

Bound for Glory - A Must See PPV

Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.

Bound for Glory should have a different name this year. This PPV is what I think we will see as a moment of reference in time about 2 years down the road. It has the potential to be the moment we remember as the final nail or the road to redemption. This PPV should be known as TNA’s Turning Point.

2012 was a year filled with a LOT of events for TNA; several positive and several negatives. Not everyone will agree with me, but I think that the additional television contracts in Germany, India, and Japan were excellent moves for TNA. The addition of Impact “Specials” gives a unique feel for specific Impact episodes (please don’t over saturate this idea, TNA). The release of Bruce Pritchard was perhaps a highlight for me because he is who I would credit with several poor decisions, including the contract negotiation issues with RVD, Bobby Roode, and DOC. I give credit to TNA for taking a few risks such as taking Impact out of Florida and on the road – it might not have been the most successful, but it shows willingness to try something new.

There are many negatives that people like to point out. Common issues being brought up are the firing of talent, lack of direction, failed gimmick changes (AJ Styles), failure of GutCheck and Impact on the road, hiring of MMA guys, reported financial crisis, PR hits with #AskDixie and the Jesse Sorensen issue… There are many issues that we as internet fans can point to as signs of TNA being on a downward spiral.

With all these changes, I see Bound for Glory as a true Turning Point for the company. I do not expect BFG to break any records in the PPV buys department. I do see that BFG will have moments that when the TNA vault is released – be it by TNA or WWE – this event will be pointed towards as a highlight moment for several reasons.

First is the Ultimate X match. This is perhaps the first fully loaded Ultimate X match that we have seen. This match has 3 of the most recognizable names that TNA possesses. It has the bill of being Jeff Hardy’s first ever X Division match, it has the most dominant Ultimate X star in Sabin, the man who made the X Division about no limits with Joe, the man who re-established the X Division belts importance with Aries, and the future of the X Division in Perkins/Manik. I expect this match to be better than any Ultimate X match we have seen in recent history. Don’t expect the highest of spots, but expect this match to be remembered as a way to make the X Division a more relevant topic in TNA; the way it should have always stayed.

Second is perhaps a bit more controversial; Sting vs. Magnus. Dixie has been high on Magnus for quite some time, and his constant improvement has garned him a massive push through the BFG Series and MEM. It is also no secret that Sting is getting closer to retirement with every match that he has. Imagine how much of a nod to Magnus it would be if Sting tapped out clean to the Kingston Cloverleaf. Now imagine if Magnus - after winning clean and shaking the hand of the man who he idolized – turns his back on Sting. Upon turning on Sting, Magnus grabs the mic, states that he doesn’t need some washed up wrestler who is limping his way out the door to prove he is ANYTHING in Impact… He doesn’t need Sting to show that he is a top star when he already knows he is the future. How does he know he is the future? Because he was told so by the only person who matters in the company. Cue Dixie Carters music and watch the as the head of Team Dixie is crowned. Magnus is now the chosen one of Dixie and the insurance policy in case the worst case scenario comes about…

Lastly – The worst case scenario for the new Heel Dixie; AJ Styles beats Bully Ray. Bully has been THE top heel in the company for quite some time. AJ has been out of the title picture for 12 months and has gone through a massive change. The reason why this will go down as one of the memories to add into the TNA history vault is because this will be where AJ Styles takes the title from Bully – who is shunned by his fellow A&8s members that help him keep that belt – as well as TNA and proceeds to take a stand by demanding Dixie to cross the line.

Many are claiming that AJ leaving BFG through the crowd, holding his title high, and having no contract as being a rip of the CM Pipebomb angle. One thing that MANY tend to forget is that the flames of such a great CM Punk moment was almost immediately extinguished by Punk returning to RAW. Imagine what happens if TNA avoids taking this route. We know that the Utah Impact after BFG will be a Live and Taped event; what happens if AJ isn’t on either of those shows? Now, imagine if he misses the NEXT live Impact and tapings…

On the 5th post BFG Impact, we see a video package sent in by the WHC. AJ Styles is seen holding the belt, in Japan with Jeff Jarrett to his left and The Great Muta to his right. AJ proceeds to tell Dixie that he told her this would happen. That she would have to get on her knees and BEG him more than she begged Hogan. He states that he has demands to be met and she is going to need to ask her daddy for another loan if she ever wants to see the WHC belt back in Impact. He wants several names - that he will tweet to her - to be added to the Impact roster. He wants the return of the 6 sided ring. He wants Impact to return to where they were born in Nashville. He wants to return Impact to that Alternative that gave fans the WRESTLING that they wanted and IF Dixie doesn’t meet those demands within 2 weeks, his first TNA WHC title defense will occur for the Wrestle-1 promotion in Japan.

I know this is a long read, but it has been a long time since I blogged and I write novels. Do I think all of these situations will happen? No. This is not meant to be a “How you should book it” blog. This is more of an idea why people should be looking at this year’s Bound for Glory PPV as more than just a TNA throw away. This PPV alone will be one of TNA’s most important in their 11 year history. With so many reports of a change in direction, the results of many of these matches will signify exactly what direction TNA is moving towards. That’s just my opinion on the topic.

Submit "Bound for Glory - A Must See PPV" to Digg Submit "Bound for Glory - A Must See PPV" to del.icio.us Submit "Bound for Glory - A Must See PPV" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bound for Glory - A Must See PPV" to Google

Updated 10-17-2013 at 12:32 PM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocop29
    With TNA releasing people due to money problems, I can't really see them signing 5-6 new stars on contracts. Especially indy guys who may or may not turn into bigger stars. I like the idea though, Would be interesting for him to perform in Japan, and have Dixie send Magnus and a couple of others to japan to bring back the title.

I personally believe that TNA is having financial issues and is in the process of streamlining the company. I also realize that dirtsheet - where we get these "facts" from - have a responsibility to get hits on their website, thus resulting in sensationalized news articles. If WWE hit a financial crisis, we would know about it because they report their financials. The only ones who know TNA's numbers (and ultimately how big of a hit and its limitations on new talent that they potentially could sign) are those within TNA. This is why we constantly hear random excuses as to the reasons why DirtSheet X believes that they are having these issues - Remember: DirtSheets have more recanted statements than a drunken Kurt Angle claiming to be "hacked".

TNA doesn't HAVE to sign these guys to full time contracts. Say they sign Lethal and Williams back. For the other 3 talent, they could sign them to a Pay Per Appearance contract and still get the same result you would expect; seeing a new talent on television. This worked well with Perkins who they signed full time based on his performance. Why not give a Brian Cage something similar and see if he earns a full time contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahu
    but I have one thing to say abt their new contract in India...they have moved away from espn star network to SET and that too in a channel Sony 6 which is not widely available in India.. I do not have it even as pay channel option n in our house we use two different set top boxes..
    Interesting. I have not heard this yet. The only information that was put out was the fact that they signed with Sony 6 for over 500 hours of content. No mention was made as to which station they would place the shows on when the news was released. Thanks for the update, Sahu!
    Updated 10-18-2013 at 05:57 AM by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Sony6 is still a new channel.tna wasnt getting much ratings therefore espnstarnetwork didnt renew their contract with tna
    My main problem with TNA is that they lack the identity they had back in 04-06. Back then everything about them was fresh and innovative. As much as I didn't want to, I gave up on them about two years ago. I REALLY hope you're right and this is the moment that their resurgence begins.
    I just strongly disagree, Bound For Glory this year is gonna suck. Lack of hype up to it, I didn't even know it was this sunday til I went to TNAs website some time before impact this week. Roode vs Angle again, poor use of Jeff Hardy, Aries, and Joe. Thought they'd have or at least hoped they would be used for a bigger match. No Bad Influence unless I missed them on the card which is the best tag team TNA has. Why not have them challenge the champs? Let us have jobbers on the ppv...YES! Debut a monster of a woman and don't have her face the KOs champ after attacking her? Everyone knew when AJ lost that he would challenge for the world title at BFG and he is vs the champion we thought he would. AJ will win of course while the only match I'm looking forward to see is Sting vs Magnus. That is the only intriguing match. Don't get me wrong, a highflying Jeff Hardy in the ultimate X is a dream scenario for some, but come on. Samoa Joe choking him out at BFG would be more benficial for everyone. Why not have Aries vs Angle? Don't get me wrong, I found segments with Bad Influence amusing, but come on now....
    ^ There is definitely a lack of hype to the ppv. If I'm not mistaken, half the card was thrown together on a single episode of Impact. AJ and Magnus will both win. However,devil's advocate, WM this year was the most predictable card I've ever seen at a major ppv. However, BFG just doesn't have that "biggest ppv of the year" feel to it. I can't deny that.

All that being said, I am confident that the show itself will be great, probably better than any WWE ppv this year. Hell I liked Slammiversary more than any WWE ppv this year. Either way, I think Ron's point that this ppv can be a turning point in the company is still very much true. If they blow it: good riddance TNA. If they deliver: I will continue to watch it but with an increased enthusiasm. Big night for the co.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero
    My main problem with TNA is that they lack the identity they had back in 04-06. Back then everything about them was fresh and innovative. As much as I didn't want to, I gave up on them about two years ago. I REALLY hope you're right and this is the moment that their resurgence begins.

I feel ya bruv (sorry, had to use it). TNA held onto that innovative aspect through 08, but you could tell it was on a steady decline. I liked when they began pushing the “Where Wrestling Matters” in 2012 and it actually felt that way with Roode, Storm, and Aries being the major focus. For some reason, after BFG 12 they just seemed to drop it. It gave them an actual focus and I think that if they would have kept it, it would make the things that Styles says much more potent when he says “an alternative WRESTLING program.” I hope this is the change in the right direction, but it could easily be a turn back into the wrong. Like I said, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I just strongly disagree, Bound For Glory this year is gonna suck. Lack of hype up to it, I didn't even know it was this sunday til I went to TNAs website some time before impact this week. Roode vs Angle again, poor use of Jeff Hardy, Aries, and Joe. Thought they'd have or at least hoped they would be used for a bigger match. No Bad Influence unless I missed them on the card which is the best tag team TNA has. Why not have them challenge the champs? Let us have jobbers on the ppv...YES! Debut a monster of a woman and don't have her face the KOs champ after attacking her? Everyone knew when AJ lost that he would challenge for the world title at BFG and he is vs the champion we thought he would. AJ will win of course while the only match I'm looking forward to see is Sting vs Magnus. That is the only intriguing match. Don't get me wrong, a highflying Jeff Hardy in the ultimate X is a dream scenario for some, but come on. Samoa Joe choking him out at BFG would be more benficial for everyone. Why not have Aries vs Angle? Don't get me wrong, I found segments with Bad Influence amusing, but come on now....

To each their own, but I personally enjoy the fact that they inserted Joe, Aries, and Hardy into the X match because it makes the X Title look a bit more important. Having 3 of the top names injected into this match is give a bit of uncertainty as to who will actually win the match. Sure, they could have easily set up a Joe vs. Aries rematch from Slammiversary ’12 or an Aries vs. Hardy rematch from BFG ’12, but wouldn’t that create the same issue that you have with the Roode vs. Angle match?
    At least this way, we have an All-Star Ultimate X match that we for sure have not seen before and with 5 different possible directions for potential outcomes.

As for the Bad Influence comment, I say just wait. I see Bad Influence winning the Gauntlet and actually taking the titles from Gun Storm. It makes logical sense for storyline progression, it gives EGO a bit of gold, and it allows Sinner and Saint to actually have a meaningful feud; something that their title run has sorely lacked due to Kaz and Daniels position in the BFG Series this year.

And yes, Aries vs. Angle would be a dream match and BFG is the perfect place for it. But with Kurt having JUST come back from rehab, would you not rather see him have a great match with a person who he already had a feud going with (MEM vs. EGO) and allow time to set up an Aries vs. Angle match? I’d rather them make Aries vs. Angle into a BIG deal than just throw them together with little back and forth between the two, just to say that I have a dream match with little build on the card. The lack of build (and end of the match) is what made Aries vs. Styles 1 seem so flat, whereas their second meeting felt “bigger” because they put some emotion into it. I see the rubber match between the 2 as MAJOR, especially since I see a WHC being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    ^ There is definitely a lack of hype to the ppv. If I'm not mistaken, half the card was thrown together on a single episode of Impact. AJ and Magnus will both win. However,devil's advocate, WM this year was the most predictable card I've ever seen at a major ppv. However, BFG just doesn't have that "biggest ppv of the year" feel to it. I can't deny that.

All that being said, I am confident that the show itself will be great, probably better than any WWE ppv this year. Hell I liked Slammiversary more than any WWE ppv this year. Either way, I think Ron's point that this ppv can be a turning point in the company is still very much true. If they blow it: good riddance TNA. If they deliver: I will continue to watch it but with an increased enthusiasm. Big night for the co.

I agree that they wasted the 3 months to build to this PPV and I blame that on the BFG Series. They had too many top tier talent in the Series this year (I think to hide the AJ Styles win a bit) and it fell apart at the end. The Final 4 was the only time I was actually interested in the Series, which is a bad thing. If they knock the total competitors down to 8 (or even 6 as Aries suggested) next year, then it allows more time for other feuds to fully develop in that 3 month time period.

But you are right; my point is that this PPV should be invested in because it can very well be the most meaningful in the history of TNA. It will either push their momentum for the supposed “new directions” or it will confirm the skeptics views that TNA will not be able to dig out of the hole that so many in the IWC say that they are in.
    Updated 10-19-2013 at 08:01 PM by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepratik
    Sony6 is still a new channel.tna wasnt getting much ratings therefore espnstarnetwork didnt renew their contract with tna
    The lack of rating in ESPN STAR is only because of ESPNSTAR themselves..they never advertised the show n also the Hindi commentry they used was so pathetic..even ppl lke me who love TNA very much have not seen o ESPNSTAR instead we prefer to download n see while WWE we see it on Ten Sports....

I guess this new contract eventually may be useful to TNA because Sony 6 also features UFC...n now they have tuned into Tata Sky..I'mn just waiting them to be on Airtel which is my set top connection...hopefully I can see both TNA n UFC on TV itself in teh near future..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.