View RSS Feed

Earthquake

This thing we "love" called wrestling

Rate this Entry
Haven't blogged in a while, I may as well. Why not?

Wrestling is a strange little beast it is. It's only wrestling sure, isn't it? It's certainly not life and death. Right? Right?

This is a response to a blog I have just read by site afficionado Rated_R(ob)KO titled "All you do is complain", and I think it's about time for it. Unlike most responses, this is going to be a positive, his message has been done before but is still overdue and needs to be enforced. We can't use wrestling as a vehicle to let out our frustrations with our lives, the truth is it's just creating a toxic stink that has gotten way out of hand. You are all entitled to your individual opinions, but most of your opinions, where do they come from? It befuddles me that so many people can be so negative about the inner workings of a simple television show that they don't pay any money for. Something that is for free, essentially. Yeah, make a hobby out of it, but hobbies should not equal an opportunity to unleash negativitiy. Sure sometimes, but ALL the time? Shouldn't it be mostly about having fun? Sure WWE could be better, even a lot better, but shouldn't we also make our own fun as well?

Yeah, it was terrible when Daniel Bryan's big thing was that he was a nerd and the Bella's were betting on if he was a virgin or not. It was terrible when Katie Vick entered the fray, calling the storyline crude would be an understatement, but it became a popular stick to beat wwe on their heads with, no one seemed to really question the idea that the whole Kane character had a normal enough life were he was going to parties with a girlfriend which completely dismembered the character build up we had loved up to that point... It's a kind of "follow the leader" mentality. No one talks about the throwing away of Kane's entire backstory, which was a much bigger crime than a misstep of a storyline. Why so? Because everyone focused in on the easy target?

It just perplexes me how nobody sees the big picture in a lot of things. Do you know who sees the big picture? Vince McMahon, that's who. He has always been big picture, he isn't spectacular at the rest of the booking in between, but he is and always has been a big picture man. That's why he has writers. He is big picture. But the thing is, he can try give them direction, he can rip up scripts and make them start again, but he can't control what their brains think. He doesn't have time to write all the shows himself, and he has never been very good at that anyway. All the moments though that we love, all the WrestleMania's etc, that was his brainchild. Big picture, not so little picture! Here is the problem. You all think you are big picture. If you are, that's really good, it shows a lot of ability you don't even know you have. But not everyone can share the same big picture. If that was the case, we would all be holding hands and singing songs together in a field smiling. But we "think" we do. We all see where something is going. If it does not go exactly where we want it to go, holy hell do we ever vent. If it does go where we go - We go "meh", and label it "predictable/underwhelming". It's because we all share the same big picture. When someone like Bray Wyatt comes along, there is cause for excitement. But we are already picturing him facing The Undertaker. If it ever happens, we are either going to laud it as the greatest thing ever, have a disconcerting "meh", or if it isn't perfect, Bray has blown his big opportunity and Undertaker has been past it for years, and should have hung it up a long time ago. I really fear for the next time Undertaker puts in a stinker, it's going to happen some day. Give the guy his respect. Don't shit on how bad he'll have gotten.

I couldn't possibly say what anybody on the internet is like in their real life, but this vindictive side that comes out, this negativity, it hurts what is just supposed to be a goofy show. Politics? Who cares? Who cares unless you're employed by WWE. There are far greater politicking injustices happening in the world than Triple H pushing Dolph Ziggler down the card. That is like the 728,597,347th biggest injustice in the world right now. We complain about coverage that celebities like Miley Cyrus gets over some kid who just got beheaded for fun in some war torn shithole, and yeah there has to be coverage in wrestling, but priorities are out of whack really. Who cares that Dolph Ziggler is apparently getting fucked in the ass? Or that Kassius Ohno struggles to get onto NXT nowadays? Who fucking cares? I know this is a wrestling site, we should care about that, but really, care away but don't have a fit over any of this. Wrestling is and always has meant to be a goofy ass show, in the attitude era days they struck gold at a time when they absolutely had to show what they were, and after slowly slipping out of the fallout of that time they have reverted back to the kid friendly show they had always planned to be. I loved the attitude era too guys, thought it was way more fun than it is today, but it's still fun, and it is what it was always supposed to be, a goofy ass show for children. We just got spoiled for the best part of a decade, now we are on track. It isn't going to change folks. It is what it is. So, if we're watching, why not enjoy it for what it is?

The company as a whole would be more enthusiastic about pleasing us if a bunch of moronic smarks (and moron's always think they are SO SMART) didn't incessantly chant "GOLDBERG, GOLDBERG" during every one of Ryback's matches? I like Ryback, especially as a heel, but he is a different person, he is only being ruined because of know-it-all's (and like every know-it-all, they have to PROVE to everyone that they know it all). Because you are "clued" in doesn't make you smart, it actually makes you the opposite, believe it or not. Look at Ryback. These fans that have dominated his matches, they certainly haven't made the show any better, they have damaged his character probably beyond repair, but they "think" they're smart. Look at Tensai, or what he's now been reduced to, "Sweet T". Fans ruined him completely. Yes yes yes, it is Albert, big whoop. Did you have to ruin an awesome over the top Japanese warrior gimmick? That was an AWESOME gimmick. But it struggled because right away "smart" people saturated his whole scene with "AAAALBERT" chants. Some will say "we've had enough of the man, this is us striking back". You are striking back in a petty petty way, you are hurting the chances of the product being enjoyable for you again, you personally and for other people.

This certainly goes back to the "What" chants. It's pretty poetic, Stone Cold Steve Austin brought the wwf/wwe to unimaginable heights, but in return for the greatness we have been left with the drippings of a poisoned chalice. The "WHAT" chants were originally a product of Austin's disrespect for the superstars in the ring, and that carried over to the fans, and the attitude era left all fans with an entitlement to superstars bodies who went through absolute hell, and it continues to this day. You claim to have utmost respect for all the people involved in the product, but you don't - at all. Some of you do, but the majority don't - at all. Time's have moved on, but we all had way too much fun disrespecting the establishment and we don't want to let go of that, and it has just spread out to every section of the place. WWE were certainly the architects of this, brought it on themselves, but it really is up to all to let them find their feet. We won't let them find their feet, we shit on things before they even get started. WWE is by no way free of all the blame for their sometimes (maybe regularly) underwhelming programming but WE certainly play our part - and the worst part is we bully others who don't "know what we know". None of us know anything. Back to Ohno, he my have gotten an ego that was way above his station because of us praising him so we could inevitable claim with great prde that "we knew him before he was famous", building him up to be a great. He has the ability, but he totally disrespected those in charge who WANT to make him great by not getting into the shape they wanted him to, because WE decided he was the bomb. This is a possibilty right? That it is that simple? And that we are GUILTY of playing our part? We are not involved in the running of the product, but we are certainly involved a great deal in supplying the NEGATIVITY around the product. It isn't just wwe, we all play our part, just like we all as a world played our part in someone beautiful like Lindsay Lohan destroying her life/potential. She was the primary player, but WE all built her up, and then gleefully LOL'ed at her being in a mess and waited for the next car crash to happen. This isn't just a wrestling thing, it's a society thing, but as wrestling fans WE can make a difference in our niche market. But we are just bitter at the product for being a niche market (that it always has been) and not making the right strides to be "acceptable" and are taking out the frustration on that which needs our help. If you are bored of wrestling, by all means, you're free to leave, but if you love wrestling, show it the love it needs from you. A respectful attitude from it's audience will show us the respect we want from the show. It's a two way street. Always has been, always will.

Submit "This thing we "love" called wrestling" to Digg Submit "This thing we "love" called wrestling" to del.icio.us Submit "This thing we "love" called wrestling" to StumbleUpon Submit "This thing we "love" called wrestling" to Google

Updated 10-12-2013 at 11:36 AM by Earthquake

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guess I inspired some things haha! Good blog my dude. A couple spacing issues but other than that, very good.
    It is definitely bs that the fans had to ruin Ryback's and Tensai's gimmicks with their dumb chants. Ryback managed to bounce back (and let's face it, having fans chant one of the all time greats' name won't necessarily kill you), but unfortunately, they may have ruined Matt Bloom's final WWE run. I also liked the Tensai gimmick a lot, he was main eventing Raw and everything. I don't think he would've won a world title or anything, but still disappointing.
    Updated 10-12-2013 at 11:25 PM by Kajmere
    I think it's the fact that WWE chooses to repackage guys without ever acknowledging their past. We fans don't forget easily as WWE blindly wants us to, and chants such as the ones being referred to are out way of letting WWE know that. As for Tensai. Sorry, but that gimmick was doomed from the start. Even fans who had not heard of A-Train would have had trouble accepting that abomination in a main event spot. It wasn't the fans fault that Tensai bombed, it was whoever decided that A-Train wasn't good enough of a gimmick upon Matt Bloom's return.
    Excellent blog Earthquake. Completely loved it and agree with almost everything you said
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    It is definitely bs that the fans had to ruin Ryback's and Tensai's gimmicks with their dumb chants. Ryback managed to bounce back (and let's face it, having fans chant one of the all time greats' name won't necessarily kill you), but unfortunately, they may have ruined Matt Bloom's final WWE run. I also liked the Tensai gimmick a lot, he was main eventing Raw and everything. I don't think he would've won a world title or anything, but still disappointing.
    Totally agree, not a proper main eventer, but good gimmick and an a seasoned vet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero
    I think it's the fact that WWE chooses to repackage guys without ever acknowledging their past. We fans don't forget easily as WWE blindly wants us to, and chants such as the ones being referred to are out way of letting WWE know that. As for Tensai. Sorry, but that gimmick was doomed from the start. Even fans who had not heard of A-Train would have had trouble accepting that abomination in a main event spot. It wasn't the fans fault that Tensai bombed, it was whoever decided that A-Train wasn't good enough of a gimmick upon Matt Bloom's return.
    I agree, with the A-Train thing only. He could have returned as A-Train. But... he didn't. They did acknowledge that he wrestled in the wwe before, but it isn't like when The Iron Sheik became colonel Mustapha (or Gen. Adnan, one of them), they weren't covering up a significant player in their industry. Albert only held the IC title once as a transitional champion, he was important at the time as A-Train but he wasn't anything super special. WWE repackage guys all the time, Tugboat just became Typhoon and that was just that, One Man Gang became Akeem suddenly, Tito Santana became El Matador, and I don't think the gimmick failed because of them repackaging him, it just failed because it was a poor gimmick. So this has happened all the time, and always will.

The thing that it takes to enjoy yourself as a wrestling fan and the reason wwe caters in these ways is simple: It is asking you to "suspend your disbelief". that's what it takes to be a fan, and enjoy it. It's the one element that has made it the commodity it is today. Acknowledge past if it's time for it, of course, but Tensai is a whole new character we are supposed to suspend our disbelief in. It's not the same as Michael Cole telling us that we watched the best match ever and expecting us to totally buy into it and forget about the other bunch of times they've said that. It's a whole new character, that they have made sure not to promote as an old character, because it's an entirely new character. It happens in Hollywood too, an actor/actress is great in a role they have and they get typecast. But this isn't really like that, this is this guy playing a new role and it's just a few dickheads shouting "AALLLLLBERT" and not letting him find his feet.

I fail to see how Tensai was "doomed from the start" by the way. How can you gauge such an absolute? This is the era of gimmicks returning and A-Train was not much of a gimmick, the whole thing was "I'm Albert and now I'm serious". Everyone knew he was Albert, they never tried to hide that fact in any way. Alot of us fans knew he was Albert, but the kids didn't know who Albert was. It's pretty pathetic, having to show kids so obnoxiously that we know who he really is. A subtle "yeah he used to wrestle as a guy called A-Train" would have sufficed, not obnoxiously mocking him for having a different gimmick in the past. Maybe they should have said "Tensai used to perform as A-Train back in 2003" but aside from that they didn't really do anything wrong, it was people just showing how big and clever they were and then using an excuse of "they brought it on themselves" or "it was doomed from the start" to cover the fact that they ruined the gimmick, and thus, the entertainment value that could have been attained from that gimmick. If it fails, fine, but it got ruined by the fans and no one else.
    Updated 10-13-2013 at 12:09 PM by Earthquake
    It got ruined by the fans because they never accepted this big Caucasian fella using a Japanese gimmick. If Matt had come back under a different gimmick other than Tensai; one that the fans could relate to a bit easier, things might have worked. I don't really mind when a guy is repackaged, this has been happening since I began watching wrestling back in 1990. I mean, Bray Wyatt got the "Husky Harris" chants, but it hasn't really hurt his push has it? Ryback got the "Goldberg" chants because no matter what anyone says, the Ryback gimmick was almost identical to the one that Big Bill used to great effect in his WCW days.

Back to Matt Bloom. His A-Train gimmick was the best he's ever had IMO, and I wholeheartedly feel it could have worked in this day and age. Having him return after 9 or so years and saying he's been plying his trade in Japan, where he dominated the competition, would have worked better than having A-Train return as a guy who spent some years in Japan and now wants to act like a Japanese guy. To me, and a lot of my friends, it was a joke. There's also the fact that if the gimmick was any cop, it would have been demoted after being rejected by the fans, but stayed the same until he worked his way back up the card. But it didn't stick and now he's Sweet freaking T.

I definitely stand by my statement that that particular gimmick was doomed from the start, and that has nothing to do with the fact that it was a gimmick. I love gimmicks for wrestlers. Having a guy wrestle under his "real name" should almost be a gimmick in itself, not the norm as its become.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.