View RSS Feed

Anthony_Eckman

My Top 5: WWE Missed Opportunities

Rate this Entry
Welcome to another edition of My Top 5. After a couple of weeks of thinking about what I should blog on, I came up with missed opportunities. Now, as some of you should know I have only been watching WWE since 2005 so I'm sorry if that makes any inconveniences. This blog is strictly opinionated but I would live to hear your's. Now, let's get right into it.

#5 - Ryback

Even though he's only been here for about 1 year, the reincarnation of Skip Sheffield is a miss. I originally liked the idea of a Ryback push right out of the gate it ended up stale. It actually put WWE in an awkward situation back in October. With Cena injured they needed someone to feud with CM Punk. Enter Ryback. Noe, everyone knew Ryback, a newbie, wouldn't be taking the belt off Punk who had held it for close to a year and then after. Still, it was fun to watch him try. Then he started a feud with The Shield. After seeing how high WWE was on them and that they wouldn't be losing for awhile, Ryback was doomed. After his loss to Mark Henry at Wrestlemania, his heel turn fell flat and he didn't seem like a viable opponent for John Cena. After going from Money in the Bank 2012 to Money in the Bank 2013 and now having his gimmick go no where, I think we can all agree he is a miss.

#4 - Matt Morgan

There's really only a few athletic big men in pro wrestling today, and Matt Morgan is one of them. Sure, his tenure in WWE was short, but after seeing his potential and development in TNA, he makes the list. His first run in WWE came as a protege too Brock Lesnar, but he was sent back to OVW. Upon return he became Carltio's stuttering heavy. He departed WWE soon afterwards and became a 2 time TNA tag champ and main eventer in TNA. Now, the door is still open for his return so that's why he's not high on the list.

#3 - Wade Barrett

Ah, how the Barrett Barage has fallen. The season 1 winner of NXT seemed destined for the bright lights, until he got there. As leader of Nexus, he feuded with top stars such as John Cena and Randy Orton. He then got kicked out and invented The Corre. It seemed like we were destined to see a Corre-Nexus match, but that never happened. After going on to hold the IC Title then returned to the upper car with a feud with Orton. All seemed well and it seemed like we were headed for an Orton-Barrett Wrestlemania 28 match, but after a broken collarbone it didn't come to be. After his return, he became a transitional champion and jobber. Now nothing seems like it can save this Brit.

#2 - Mr. Kennedy

Mistaaaa Kennedy.....Kennedy is next here. When he debuted in 05 he was pushe from the start. He got an undefeated streak and a one month US Title run. A year into his career he feuded with The Undertaker. He won 2 out of 3 matches, albeit by DQ and First Blood, but still, beating Taker is impressive. He then got a World Title match with Batista and feuded with Bobby Lashley over the ECW Title. He went on to win Money in the Bank at WM 23, only to lose it to Edge because of injury. He seemed like he could've been a big part in the World Title picture, but injury after injury held him back and then he left for TNA.

#1 - Bobby Lashley

Even though Vince doesn't seem high on black wrestlers, he seemed very high on Lashley. After debuting he had a lengthy undefeated run and held the US Title. He then got to the finals of the King of the Ring tournament only to lose to Booker T. After King Booker won the World Title, he had a short feud with him. He then jumped to ECW and quickly won the ECW Title from Big Show. He feuded with Vince McMahon, which not a lot of people can say that, and ultimately got the best of the boss. After being drafted to Raw he feuded with Cena over the WWE Title and most thought he would dethrone Cena as champ. Before that could happen, he was released from WWE with no explanation. Sad.

Well there you have it. I want to know your guy's opinions and who you think should've made the list. Thank you for reading!

Submit "My Top 5: WWE Missed Opportunities" to Digg Submit "My Top 5: WWE Missed Opportunities" to del.icio.us Submit "My Top 5: WWE Missed Opportunities" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Top 5: WWE Missed Opportunities" to Google

Comments

MVP would definately be on my list....

I don't think of Lashley and Kennedy as missed oppurtunities. He wanted to leave and he left on the highest note when he was at the top of his game main eventing vs Cena because he was going to leave. I think it had something to do with his wife backstage or something.

Kennedy just couldn't stay healthy and in his return he almost injured Orton. He was known as injury prone at the time. I thought like you both him and Lashley would have great futures in the WWE. However, cut short because of politics and personal things.
    I agree that Ryback started out strong...Vinnie MC didn't like the Goldberg chants etc...likes to "create" his own way(in his mind anyway).

I agree with Wade Barrett...he needs a group around him, tho'...be careful Shield members. You could be labeled the same way!

Matt Morgan would be a great piece if used right...don't recall him being used or missed!

Kennedy wasn't used well in WWE or TNA...maybe it's him?!

Bobby Lashley started slow...made it big and then left to TNA and eventually MMA...his choices!

Add guys like:

Santino Marela...could of been another Bruno Sanmartino type grappler if you recall his beginning!

Brodus Clay...Funkasaurus? Gimme a f'n break!?

Originally missed on the now Bray Wyatt and Curtis Axel....McGilliculty, plez!

Dolph Ziggler...should be a mega star...takes the best hits, best falls, has the physical skills...keep pairing him with the wrong people. Shoulda been a Bryan Pillman like loose cannon!

The Batista look alike...Mason Ryan...why isn't he a mega star?

Kane, repackaged...left...came back as a monster, who needed counciling with his partner.

Chuck Palumbo...Miz...Jericho in his return...great against Punk.

Biggest miss was when Punk was the anti-hero, against Cena...Punk at height of popularity...should have kept him in the role and turned Cena heel!
    Updated 08-26-2013 at 02:53 PM by 5 Finger Death Punch
    Drew McIntyre. He was the anointed "chosen one" who had a lengthly IC title reign and had a very impactful performance at that year's Elimination Chamber. Then he disappeared for a short bit and became a part of 3MB.

Hart Dynasty. WWE is attempting to get the tag division going, but seem to be failing. The Hart Dynasty was a legit tag team that were broken up for no good reason. DH Smith was released soon after and Tyson Kidd floundered in jobber-ville until he started teaming with Justin Gabriel, where he at least got the chance to show his chops again.

Zach Ryder. I'm not as big a mark as most people are for him, but he got himself over with nothing but a flip camera to the point where WWE gave him the US title. He had some momentum and seemingly brought some spotlight back onto that particular belt. Then WWE took away the belt, hijacked his show, and buried him as Kane's personal punching bag. Just seemed they could have done a better job of riding that wave.
    Missed ones well I enjoy this so let me take a crack

5- Muhammad Hassan you wanna talk about a heel with heat this man was exactly that. He could of been the most hated man in wrestling. They tried the stereotypical race heel with( ADR, mahal, but nothing was close to this)
    No one I can think of gathered that much heat.

4- Matt Hardy- when he came back he had that crowd in his hands man. Matt should of won title he would been extremely over.

3- R truth- when he was a heel . He was incredible that was the best thing I seen from him. He was funny crazy and reckless. If he won the wwe title damn people would be still talking about it.

2- Drew And Wade and Cesero to be honest each of them have had good mid card careers before drew with 3mb, wade injuries and Cesero consist jobbing position . There's no reason you shouldn't have multiple time champions here.

1- Alex Riley- this is what a main eventer looks like the crowd erupts still when he comes out. Damn you Cena! *
    Missed ones well I enjoy this so let me take a crack

5- Muhammad Hassan you wanna talk about a heel with heat this man was exactly that. He could of been the most hated man in wrestling. They tried the stereotypical race heel with( ADR, mahal, but nothing was close to this)
    No one I can think of gathered that much heat.

4- Matt Hardy- when he came back he had that crowd in his hands man. Matt should of won title he would been extremely over.

3- R truth- when he was a heel . He was incredible that was the best thing I seen from him. He was funny crazy and reckless. If he won the wwe title damn people would be still talking about it.

2- Drew And Wade and Cesero to be honest each of them have had good mid card careers before drew with 3mb, wade injuries and Cesero consist jobbing position . There's no reason you shouldn't have multiple time champions here.

1- Alex Riley- this is what a main eventer looks like the crowd erupts still when he comes out. Damn you Cena! *
    The Divas of Doom angle had the potential to shake up the Divas division. When Beth turned, and Natalya joined her, I was expecting a sort of NWO-lite take over of the Divas with some joining and some fighting against them. Alas, it was not to be. Also when AJ and kaitlin put on two of the best Divas matches in like 7 years, I was expecting more to happen there. The Whole Cena giving into Kanes hate had the potential to create a more angry Cena, but that died. More could've been done with Awesome Truth, with the WWE Summer of Punk, hell 2011-2012 was nothing but missed opportunities.
    Are we really not mentioning Shelton Benjamin, Monty Brown, Maven, or Vader?

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.