View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I decided to start a blog on defending Wrestlers that the IWC to tear to shreds. The IWC are a weird bunch, We will completely overate some wrestlers and undeservingly bury another. So today I will be defending a man who has been a punching bag for Internet wrestling fans since the Internet was invented and that is the one and only Ultimate Warrior.

One of the complaints people have with the Warrior is that he was pushed to hard and too soon. well lets actually take a look at The Warriors WWF career. The Ultimate Warrior started his WWF career in 1987 and he got his first title shot in 1990, That is 3 years the Warrior threaded mid card and upper mid card waters and continued to stay over and get more and more popular as time went on.... The Ultimate Warrior deserved his Wrestlemania 6 spot in the main event, The WWF fans were very vocal on what match they wanted to see at Wrestlemania 6 and that was Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior and if Vince Mcmahon and the WWF bookers at the time didn't book that match they would of been the most clueless bunch of morons to ever run a company, It was a sure fire money maker that no one could of ignored. The Ultimate Warrior was without a doubt the most popular performer in the WWF at the time so it was the right call to put the title on him at Wrestlemania 6. The fans deserved to see Hogan vs Warrior at Wrestlemania 6.

The Warrior Gets alot of deserved criticism for his wrestling ability. But what alot of Wrestling fans don't understand is that to be a great performer you don't have to be a Great technical wrestler. The Warrior may have not been The greatest performer but to say the Warrior hasn't had great matches in his short WWF career is just plain uneducated. The Warriors matches with The Macho Man and Hulk Hogan were some of the best WM matches of all time. The Ultimate Warrior Also had some really good matches With Ravishing Rick and back in the 1980s and start of the 90's The WWF was not putting on 4 or 5 star matches and The Warriors matches was definitely not the worst on the card, Actually at the time The Warriors matches felt like something different... What I don't understand is how the IWC can praise Rowdy Piper, Dusty Rhodes and Wahoo McDaniels as being legends but Can anyone think of any Great matches these men have been in? Dusty had some ok matches with Ric Flair but nothing I call classics. Don't get me wrong the Build for Dusty and Flairs matches were great but the matches fell flat and didn't live up to what they should of been. As for Rowdy Piper, Other than Bret Hart I cant think of a Great Rowdy Piper match, So What I dont understand is why People consider The Ultimate Warrior such a terrible performer and even call him one of the worst ever but The Warrior has much better matches in his portfolio in a much shorter amount of time Then a Dusty Rhodes, Rowdy Piper or a Andre The Giant, So Why hasn't these men been called on out on their lack of great matches like a Hulk Hogan or Ultimate Warrior has been. ( Please understand I'm not burying Rhodes or Piper in any way, Piper and Rhodes were Great on the mic and made excellent and iconic characters but they were not great in ring performers by any means).

Other criticisms the Warrior has is his backstage attitude. It's hard to critique someones work as a performer by who they are behind the scenes and the same goes for professional wrestling, because mostly Wrestlers are immature Jerks who will bully and try to destroy someones career cause they didn't shake hands the right way or didn't ask a veteran if they wanna cut in front of them in baggage check. So its hard to take a wrestlers word on who is a ass and who isn't behind the scenes. but from what I seen myself from Warriors interviews and Youtube channel is that he is a insane arrogant jerk. The Warrior is a weird Human being but that shouldn't effect his legacy in the wrestling business.

My point on The Warrior is that weather you like him or not he is a legend in the wrestling business, despite what you consider to be a "Good Wrestler" or a "Bad Wrestler" The Warrior has had few great matches and some good ones, Not many but some. The Warrior was no Technical marvel but he was a breath of fresh air. The Warrior was unique and stood out and that's what made the fans cheer him and that's what made people take notice. Many great wrestlers like Christian and Daniel Bryan will lay claim that The Warrior was their favorite wrestler growing up and one of the reasons they watched WWF.

In closing, Was The Ultimate Warrior The Greatest Chacrator in WWF History? No. Was The Warrior a Great Wrestler? No. Should Warrior be considered one of the Greatest of all times? Hell No. But is The Warrior really as bad as everyone says he is? Definitely Not.

Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to Digg Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to del.icio.us Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to StumbleUpon Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to Google

Updated 08-23-2013 at 11:08 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I can see many of your points and can agree with where you are coming from. I'm not the one who falls in love with any match WWE puts on a compilation DVD. Sure, I love some but not that many. I find most of the matches are put there because of star quality. I just remember the Roddy Piper before Vince just like I remember Jake Roberts before Vince. Once you enter the WWE, it becomes longevity over anything else.

Most of NWA and Mid-South programming were available for purchase and I was lucky enough to build a vast selection before WWE bought the media rights. Most were house shows with poor qulity by today's standards but timeless in a way. A Roddy Piper/Ric Flair feud was just priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalsbury77
    I can see many of your points and can agree with where you are coming from. I'm not the one who falls in love with any match WWE puts on a compilation DVD. Sure, I love some but not that many. I find most of the matches are put there because of star quality. I just remember the Roddy Piper before Vince just like I remember Jake Roberts before Vince. Once you enter the WWE, it becomes longevity over anything else.

Most of NWA and Mid-South programming were available for purchase and I was lucky enough to build a vast selection before WWE bought the media rights. Most were house shows with poor qulity by today's standards but timeless in a way. A Roddy Piper/Ric Flair feud was just priceless.
    Honestly I don't really watch much of my WWF compilation DVDs. I usually buy and watch the old NWA/WCW/ECW and other feds I couldn't watch cause of my age and not having the necessary channel to watch certain feds. Back in the 90's you could go to your local Blockbuster and Rent the newest WWF video or Coliseum home Video release but it was impossible to find the NWA on Video or WCW PPV's.

When it comes to match quality I try not to be biased, I love Flair and Steamboats Clash of the Champions match ever since I seen it on WCW's TBS up all night Clash of champion Marathon but I will not sit here and say every NWA match was great. Nor will I say Every Hogan match was great cause I was a WWF fan. Most WWF matches in the 80's were terrible but some were fun for nostalgia purposes or just fun matches in general but not classics or great matches by any means..... I think you are judging by Storyline purposes and nostalgia, Which is fine but I was talking simply match quality.
    I will agree that I am a little biased to classic feuds with matches actually going past 30 minutes and even towards 60 minutes. Of course Flair will always be the best to me. The 80's Flair where he made a nobody local wrestler look like top competition. I'm only 36 but not much happened in the 80's (mainly because of Flair) that I didn't become aware of eventually. While most kids spent their allowance on toys, I spent mine on video tapes of wrestling.

The classic argument of who is best at what goes together like peanut butter and jelly. Piper/Flair matches going nearly 45 min to an hour match after match was classic. The two easily brought out the best in the other. One of the rare times that Piper ever had to do traditional wrestling
    Not sure myself but Ultimate Warrior is one the most memoriable characters in WWF/E. His carreer was short, his interviews would make your head spin trying to figure what he was talking about. At the end when his music hit, he had the crowd on their feet. He had a lot of charisma in that ring

I'd seen some recent videos of him, yeah he is a weird guy but he does have valuable points.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.