View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I decided to start a blog on defending Wrestlers that the IWC to tear to shreds. The IWC are a weird bunch, We will completely overate some wrestlers and undeservingly bury another. So today I will be defending a man who has been a punching bag for Internet wrestling fans since the Internet was invented and that is the one and only Ultimate Warrior.

One of the complaints people have with the Warrior is that he was pushed to hard and too soon. well lets actually take a look at The Warriors WWF career. The Ultimate Warrior started his WWF career in 1987 and he got his first title shot in 1990, That is 3 years the Warrior threaded mid card and upper mid card waters and continued to stay over and get more and more popular as time went on.... The Ultimate Warrior deserved his Wrestlemania 6 spot in the main event, The WWF fans were very vocal on what match they wanted to see at Wrestlemania 6 and that was Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior and if Vince Mcmahon and the WWF bookers at the time didn't book that match they would of been the most clueless bunch of morons to ever run a company, It was a sure fire money maker that no one could of ignored. The Ultimate Warrior was without a doubt the most popular performer in the WWF at the time so it was the right call to put the title on him at Wrestlemania 6. The fans deserved to see Hogan vs Warrior at Wrestlemania 6.

The Warrior Gets alot of deserved criticism for his wrestling ability. But what alot of Wrestling fans don't understand is that to be a great performer you don't have to be a Great technical wrestler. The Warrior may have not been The greatest performer but to say the Warrior hasn't had great matches in his short WWF career is just plain uneducated. The Warriors matches with The Macho Man and Hulk Hogan were some of the best WM matches of all time. The Ultimate Warrior Also had some really good matches With Ravishing Rick and back in the 1980s and start of the 90's The WWF was not putting on 4 or 5 star matches and The Warriors matches was definitely not the worst on the card, Actually at the time The Warriors matches felt like something different... What I don't understand is how the IWC can praise Rowdy Piper, Dusty Rhodes and Wahoo McDaniels as being legends but Can anyone think of any Great matches these men have been in? Dusty had some ok matches with Ric Flair but nothing I call classics. Don't get me wrong the Build for Dusty and Flairs matches were great but the matches fell flat and didn't live up to what they should of been. As for Rowdy Piper, Other than Bret Hart I cant think of a Great Rowdy Piper match, So What I dont understand is why People consider The Ultimate Warrior such a terrible performer and even call him one of the worst ever but The Warrior has much better matches in his portfolio in a much shorter amount of time Then a Dusty Rhodes, Rowdy Piper or a Andre The Giant, So Why hasn't these men been called on out on their lack of great matches like a Hulk Hogan or Ultimate Warrior has been. ( Please understand I'm not burying Rhodes or Piper in any way, Piper and Rhodes were Great on the mic and made excellent and iconic characters but they were not great in ring performers by any means).

Other criticisms the Warrior has is his backstage attitude. It's hard to critique someones work as a performer by who they are behind the scenes and the same goes for professional wrestling, because mostly Wrestlers are immature Jerks who will bully and try to destroy someones career cause they didn't shake hands the right way or didn't ask a veteran if they wanna cut in front of them in baggage check. So its hard to take a wrestlers word on who is a ass and who isn't behind the scenes. but from what I seen myself from Warriors interviews and Youtube channel is that he is a insane arrogant jerk. The Warrior is a weird Human being but that shouldn't effect his legacy in the wrestling business.

My point on The Warrior is that weather you like him or not he is a legend in the wrestling business, despite what you consider to be a "Good Wrestler" or a "Bad Wrestler" The Warrior has had few great matches and some good ones, Not many but some. The Warrior was no Technical marvel but he was a breath of fresh air. The Warrior was unique and stood out and that's what made the fans cheer him and that's what made people take notice. Many great wrestlers like Christian and Daniel Bryan will lay claim that The Warrior was their favorite wrestler growing up and one of the reasons they watched WWF.

In closing, Was The Ultimate Warrior The Greatest Chacrator in WWF History? No. Was The Warrior a Great Wrestler? No. Should Warrior be considered one of the Greatest of all times? Hell No. But is The Warrior really as bad as everyone says he is? Definitely Not.

Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to Digg Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to del.icio.us Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to StumbleUpon Submit "In Defense Of: The Ultimate Warrior" to Google

Updated 08-23-2013 at 11:08 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by niafv1
    Unproffesionalism cost him.
    He was an amazing performer, but was a terrible wrestler.
    Dont ever put him on the same level as a Piper/Rhodes in that regard.

Actually being unprofessional didn't cost The Warrior anything. Warrior was pretty much in to wrestling to make money and leave and that's what he basically did. The Warrior as a person is a arrogant and delusional jerk who thinks he was much more important than he actually was, But believe me, I watched a few shoot interviews in my time and 90% of wrestlers are like that, Especially RVD.

And My statement was That the Warrior had better matches in his resume than Dusty and Piper and that statement is true unless you list off a bunch of singles matches that im unaware of that Dusty and Piper had that were better than The Warrior matches I mentioned then im sticking to my statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalsbury77
    The Warrior certainly put butts in seats and was marketed with a stroke of genius. A person would have to experience it first hand but guys like Piper, Rhodes, Blanchard, Magnum T.A., and many many others had the southern territories on fire in the early to mid 80's. My father was a Coca-Cola representative so I was able to follow him around from event to event. The crowds inside and outside of the arenas are something that I'll never forget. I wonder how often the WWF/WWE had people camping in parking lots days before an event during that time period? There wasn't a building the NWA couldn't have sold out back then. In wrestling, there has always been a difference between what we see on television and what we see in person. Piper/Valentine and Blanchard/Magnum T.A. matches in any city during that time period had a five times better feel than anything The Warrior was ever in. They just didn't get the television hype that the WWF/WWE product received.

I dont see what that has to do with my blog because I was not comparing WWF to NWA in this blog.

I personally think Piper and Valentine had a decent Dog collar match, Doesn't hold up today but it was brutal for its time. I for one am not a huge fan of Magnum TA and Tullys matches, I dont think they deserve the praise they get but they defintly hold a place in wrestling history (mostly I think for the build) and I also think Tully was a great hand in the ring and very underrated by the NWA and so was Arn.

Like i said this Topic has nothing to do what I blogged about but I will give me 2 cents on your comment.....
    NWA was sort of like ECW, They had very passionate fans base. Was the NWA or ECW's fan base as big as WWF's? not even close. But their fan base was much more passionate. Plus the towns that NWA ran in and the fans NWA had in the south were not the brightest people out there. They really beileved everything they seen was real. When Dusty got attacked by the 4 horsemen, They were several 911 calls. So a bunch of adults beilving what they are seeing was 100% real and legit could of been where all of that passion was coming from.

I will use the Von Erichs for comparison. The Von Erics were huge in Texas and drew huge crowds, but for me to say the The Von Erichs were bigger than Jim Croccetts promotion would be insane, Sure they were drawing bigger crowds but they can only draw in Texas. If you were to go on the street and mention The Von Erichs and I guarantee 98% of the people wont know who they are, You mention names like Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes and at least 25% of the people will know who they are.

So yes JCP was very very popular in some areas but they couldn't draw anywhere else that's one of the reasons they went under cause they tried drawing in other places and failed.
    Updated 08-25-2013 at 12:40 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    I don't like the Ultimate Warrior only because of his hate mongering against gay people and his reputation for being a dick. Entertainment wise, he was good stuff back in the day.
    I agree with ya, no match could have topped at that time Warrior/Hogan. It is still probably 1 of the top 10 if not top 5 main events booked in WM history. I'm talking about last matches as well....I'd like to know what could have topped that.

Dusty and Piper don't receive as much criticism as Warrior because they could talk on the mic. They also gave back to the business that helped made them. They were in the business far longer than Warrior was which is why the perception is what it is. Loved the fame, fortune, and all that, but didn't love or care about the wrestling business. Speaking of Piper, my favorite match and moment from WM2 was his match vs Mr.T when he body slammed him in that boxing match.

I like Warrior o. He was a huge fan favorite like Goldberg was for a short period. The impact they had on the business will forever be in the minds of wrestling fans. Great wrestler or not. I like seeing someone just beating the crap out of somebody every now and again rather than have this technical wrestling match. I like highflyers, brawlers, and technical wrestling. Not saying I go back and watch matches of Goldberg/Warrior and say that was a 5 star match. I go back to look at the moments, excitement they brought to my tv screen. The match you mentioned with Macho Man, I hated because he took so many elbows and still got up.

However, I was a big fan of Rybacks until that Cena storyline turned him into Cryback.
    @The_Crippler - I wasn't comparing the WWF/WWE to the NWA. You spoke of not understanding why the IWC speaks of Piper, Rhodes, etc. in such epic terms and not recalling great matches that they were in. Sounds like you're just getting caught up in televised events, the crowd and the marketing genius of Vince McMahon. The Ultimate Warrior was all hype and yes, the hype worked. The only quality matches that he ever had was with Savage and Rude. Even then, they were barely watchable. If it wasn't for Hogan leading the way, Wrestelmania 6 would have been a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I agree with ya, no match could have topped at that time Warrior/Hogan. It is still probably 1 of the top 10 if not top 5 main events booked in WM history. I'm talking about last matches as well....I'd like to know what could have topped that.

Dusty and Piper don't receive as much criticism as Warrior because they could talk on the mic. They also gave back to the business that helped made them. They were in the business far longer than Warrior was which is why the perception is what it is. Loved the fame, fortune, and all that, but didn't love or care about the wrestling business. Speaking of Piper, my favorite match and moment from WM2 was his match vs Mr.T when he body slammed him in that boxing match.

I like Warrior o. He was a huge fan favorite like Goldberg was for a short period. The impact they had on the business will forever be in the minds of wrestling fans. Great wrestler or not. I like seeing someone just beating the crap out of somebody every now and again rather than have this technical wrestling match. I like highflyers, brawlers, and technical wrestling. Not saying I go back and watch matches of Goldberg/Warrior and say that was a 5 star match. I go back to look at the moments, excitement they brought to my tv screen. The match you mentioned with Macho Man, I hated because he took so many elbows and still got up.

However, I was a big fan of Rybacks until that Cena storyline turned him into Cryback.

I understand where your coming from, You like variety in your wrestling show and so do I. What I dont understand is How has Rowdy Piper and Dusty Rhodes give back to Wrestling? Other then Bret Hart I cant remember Piper ever putting anyone over, Ever.... As For Dusty, I cant think of Dusty really putting anyone over or making someone a star. Dusty has given back to wrestling behind the scenes with War Games and a few other things but Dusty also have given us

The Shock Master

The WCW Cactus Jack amnesia mini movie

The Sting and Bulldog deserted on a island with Orphans mini movie

Oz

Most every embarrsing storyline, Character or mini movie was Dustys idea.

Dusty and Rowdy Piper had some great promos and moments and are legends but to say they gave back to wrestling is kinda delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalsbury77
    @The_Crippler - I wasn't comparing the WWF/WWE to the NWA. You spoke of not understanding why the IWC speaks of Piper, Rhodes, etc. in such epic terms and not recalling great matches that they were in. Sounds like you're just getting caught up in televised events, the crowd and the marketing genius of Vince McMahon. The Ultimate Warrior was all hype and yes, the hype worked. The only quality matches that he ever had was with Savage and Rude. Even then, they were barely watchable. If it wasn't for Hogan leading the way, Wrestelmania 6 would have been a disaster.

No, I never said asked why Rhodes and Piper get spoken of so highly, I think Dusty was a great face and Piper was a great heel. I asked why The Warrior gets criticized for his matches and Why don't Piper and Dusty get criticized for their lack of great matches.

As for Piper, Piper gets praise and rave reviews for his WWF run under Vince Mcmahon as a heel. So Piper would be under Vinces marketing also.

I have a Piper, Dusty Rhodes and Ultimate Warrior DVD and the match quality is better on the Warriors DVD and The Warrior.

Warriors match with Hogan was far more Superior then any match Piper had with Hogan. Warriors matches with Savage are much better than any match Piper had with Savage and Warriors matches with Rude are better than Pipers matches with Rude. Doesn't matter how hyped The Warrior is or how much he was pushed, the fact is match quality wise he is on par or better than a Dusty Rhodes or Rowdy Piper with much less experience.

As for me being caught up in televised events, I'm really sorry but its hard for me to go to every single live untelevised event Dusty and Piper been in and rate the matches. and even if they did have these incredible matches at live events its hard for to say "Hey guys Dusty and Piper had the greatest matches Ever at this untelevised event" Then have everyone take my word for it..... Iam only 30 years old but Even if I was old enough and lived in the south and Followed the NWA all around the south, The point is, It only really counts if its televised or taped. If Tiger Woods golfs the best game ever in the history of Golf but only a few people were there to see it and it wasn't taped or televised and it was a unsanctioned game, Can it go down in the record books? of course not. I can only rate what I see.
    Updated 08-25-2013 at 08:50 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.