View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Coffee Talk: Daniel Bryan and the Ties that Bind

Rate this Entry
Hey everyone. Savior here with another edition of Coffee Talk. This one is going to be a little different than usual. This one will have one main focus, and that's Daniel Bryan and the main storyline in WWE right now. That main storyline being reminiscent of the main storyline of the Attitude Era where Stone Cold had a long lasting rivalry with Vince McMahon. But, I'm sure everyone has seen SummerSlam and Monday Night Raw, so I don't need to do any recapping. This is going to be what I feel would fully maximise this storyline in the hopes that it's not just stop gap until Cena returns.

So grab your cup of joe, latte, steamer...yada yada yada...you all know it by now, and let's enjoy some Coffee Talk!

So as the title suggests, this will be about the Ties that Bind. So what do I mean when I say that? Well, that's what this blog is about.

Daniel Bryan is currently facing insurmountable odds. He has to chase Randy Orton for the title, all while Orton has the endorsement of HHH and the McMahons. I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion but The Shield looks to be playing a part in this as well. That's quite the stable with the McMahon backing. How can Daniel possibly win this battle? The obvious and popular idea is that he creates a stable of his own. I do agree with this but after reading some ideas on the forum, I have to disagree with the direction that suggests guys like CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler be a part of it. I've also read a lot of Big Show and Mark Henry involvement. My thought is this. If you want this storyline be something memorable and legendary, you gotta go much MUCH bigger than Ziggler and Mark Henry. So, here's what I propose...and I'm not taking anything into consideration, and am only basing this off of what i think would be nothing short of special.

So the Ties that Bind. The meaning behind that is that what I'm proposing are people and situations with ties to one, two, or all three focal points of this storyline. Bryan, Orton, and HHH. So, we know that early in Bryan's pursuit of professional wrestlng, he trained under HBK himself, Shawn Michaels. Obviously Shawn Michaels has ties to HHH, and even though they're friends and Shawn always has his back, he's also voiced his displeasure on more than one occasion to HHH about his life as a suit. He can't be happy with the way HHH was a sell-out and underhanded in giving Orton the title. That would be a great addition to the storyline. HBK coming to get Daniel Bryan's back.

The Ties that Bind. Who hates Vince McMahon's dirty tactics of doing business more than his wonderful wife, Linda McMahon. She's the CEO of WWE. She gives Daniel Bryan a political ally in this whole thing. How many times has Vince screwed Austin, just for Austin to align himself with Linda and get an edge somehow. I know she runs for office and all that, but like I said, I'm not taking other factors into consideration here. And while we're at it. Many times, there were TWO McMahon allies for Austin. So, bust out a little, "Here Comes the Money", and bring Shane in a few times as well to mix things up.

The Ties that Bind. Let's top off this little faction to battle The Corporation with the one man who knows more about battling with Vince McMahon than anyone else. The Rattle Snake himself, Stone Cold Steve Austin. I can picture it now. Daniel Bryan is in his third straight week of a Shield beating after constantly being forced into handicapped matches and stuff. He fights valiantly but the numbers game is too much. Suddenly, the Glass Shatters. Two stunners and a running Daniel Bryan running dropkick later, the Shield heads for the hills and HHH and the McMahons watch from the stage and stare in disbelief. I'm confident that there's not a single person reading this who wouldn't get goosebumps if this happened.

So let's put his all together. The New Corporation, which comprises of Randy Orton, the WWE Champ, The Shield, HHH, Stephanie, Vince McMahon, and the Raw GM, Brad Maddox. There's a lot of power and political power and corruption there. Way too much for the "YES" man to handle on his own. If he gets Dolph Ziggler and Show and Henry, well, that's underwhelming and really doesn't give Daniel Bryan a chance at gaining an edge. Besides, I think it's better to not have other piggy back on Daniel Bryan's success. So, it's only logical for Daniel to surround himself with people who can give him an advantage in some situations. How do we play this all out?

Let's say, Night of Champions, The Shield screws Bryan out of win. The next night on Raw, HHH and company are in the ring bragging, saying Daniel will never get another shot at the title...the crowd yelling "NO! NO! NO!". There's no other real logical contender for the title at this time, so they gotta keep Daniel in this thing. He comes out. HHH verbally humiliates him again but Daniel just smirks. McMahon gets mad and yells, "What are you smirking at?". Daniel stands aside and out comes Linda McMahon. Fill in the blanks on the rest. Board of Directors this, abuse of power that...etc.

Another week or two goes by and The New Corporation find ways around Linda's threats. Orton is chased out of the building by Bryan and later, Bryan is cutting a promo and HHH interrupts and comes down to the ring. They mouth off and The Shield's music starts. They don't show up though. Suddenly, HBK's music hits and out he comes to confront HHH. HBK slaps HHH, Daniel Bryan punches him a few times, and HHH turns right around into a SuperKick. Raw ends with them celebrating. Bryan is still the focal point of all of this, not being overshadowed by anyone.

There's a lot of possibilities here that will make the storyline interesting and keep Daniel Bryan as the focal point. Hell, there are others that can be brought in, such as Mick Foley, who's had his issues, with The McMahons, HHH, and Orton, and is also Austin's friend. Bring Jim Ross in, who's had plenty of crossings with McMahon and then Jerry Lawler can join his side and there's a rift being caused at the announce table between JBL, who's all for this HHH/Orton union, and King, with Cole as the mediator. The extent this storyline can go is endless, and it wouldn't really involve too many other of today's stars getting involved. The Shield can handle their business with Show and Henry, and maybe even Ambrose and Ziggler can feud since it's pretty clear Ziggler is out of the title picture for now. But Shield's feuds can be separate from this storyline as they play enforcers.

So what do you guys think. This storyline is just kicking off and I'm hoping it's not a stop gap while Cena's away. I'm hoping this isn't just a way to lead to Cena and Orton over who's the face of the company. That is my fear.

Well, my cup of joe is now finished. I hope you enjoyed this edition of Coffee Talk. I'd love to hear your ideas on how this storyline can progress moving forward.

Thanks for reading everyone. Be Safe!

Submit "Coffee Talk: Daniel Bryan and the Ties that Bind" to Digg Submit "Coffee Talk: Daniel Bryan and the Ties that Bind" to del.icio.us Submit "Coffee Talk: Daniel Bryan and the Ties that Bind" to StumbleUpon Submit "Coffee Talk: Daniel Bryan and the Ties that Bind" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I completely understand your stance with this direction of this new main event storyline.

My first question would be...is the main purpose of this storyline that we are entertained for 6 months? Or is it to build Daniel Bryan to be the face of the WWE/#1 face?

On one side...I absolutely love your storyline ideas. Obviously the corporation side is fantastic the way it is...and seemingly the direction it's heading. Adding HBK, Linda/Shane and Stone Cold to the mix would be AMAZING! As a huge fan of the attitude era, I would be loving it and going crazy for the next several months. It makes perfect sense for HBK to come back and get involved on Bryan's side in his fight against HHH/Orton/McMahon. HBK doesn't even have to wrestle (which I wouldnt expect him to), just being there would be fantastic.

The hole in your projected storyline is the focal point would be everyone BUT Daniel Bryan. That's ok with me...but is it ok with the WWE universe? In your outlined storyline, the attention would be on HBK/HHH, the McMahons, Stone Cold/Orton. I mean...Orton and HHH already are above Bryan at this point in their careers. Bryan is scratching and clawing to get to where Orton and HHH are. HBK and Stone Cold are Legends...Hall of Famers...probably 2 of the 3 most popular wrestlers in WWE history. If they came back and joined in this fight...the entire focus of this storyline would be HBK/Stone Cold vs the Corporation...with Daniel Bryan being the "B+" lost in the shuffle.

From an entertainment/historical level...I'd love to see this. But this would NOT end up putting Bryan over and in fact would cement him as an upper mid-card B+ performer forever. I like your ideas and the direction where this could all go...who could get involved. I'm not a huge Bryan fan...I like him but he's not one of my favorites. So I have no problem with your ideas. I'd speculate though that many fans would not like to see this though...within a few months Daniel Bryan would be the lowest man on the totem pole in this feud.
    It is imperative that a significant other that has close ties is involved on behalf of Bryan. This reeks of the old Vince saying that the fans don't know what they really want. A lot of options for them to explore and consider.

Austin has been hinting at the possibility of involvement for a long time now, making clear that he would only return for the right story. What could be more appropriate than this?

What a golden opportunity for Bryan to shine, and for Orton to once again become relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillyraines
    I completely understand your stance with this direction of this new main event storyline.

My first question would be...is the main purpose of this storyline that we are entertained for 6 months? Or is it to build Daniel Bryan to be the face of the WWE/#1 face?

On one side...I absolutely love your storyline ideas. Obviously the corporation side is fantastic the way it is...and seemingly the direction it's heading. Adding HBK, Linda/Shane and Stone Cold to the mix would be AMAZING! As a huge fan of the attitude era, I would be loving it and going crazy for the next several months. It makes perfect sense for HBK to come back and get involved on Bryan's side in his fight against HHH/Orton/McMahon. HBK doesn't even have to wrestle (which I wouldnt expect him to), just being there would be fantastic.

The hole in your projected storyline is the focal point would be everyone BUT Daniel Bryan. That's ok with me...but is it ok with the WWE universe? In your outlined storyline, the attention would be on HBK/HHH, the McMahons, Stone Cold/Orton. I mean...Orton and HHH already are above Bryan at this point in their careers. Bryan is scratching and clawing to get to where Orton and HHH are. HBK and Stone Cold are Legends...Hall of Famers...probably 2 of the 3 most popular wrestlers in WWE history. If they came back and joined in this fight...the entire focus of this storyline would be HBK/Stone Cold vs the Corporation...with Daniel Bryan being the "B+" lost in the shuffle.

From an entertainment/historical level...I'd love to see this. But this would NOT end up putting Bryan over and in fact would cement him as an upper mid-card B+ performer forever. I like your ideas and the direction where this could all go...who could get involved. I'm not a huge Bryan fan...I like him but he's not one of my favorites. So I have no problem with your ideas. I'd speculate though that many fans would not like to see this though...within a few months Daniel Bryan would be the lowest man on the totem pole in this feud.
    Thank you for the response. I get what you're saying about taking the focus off of Daniel Bryan. I guess if they played it right, they could make him the focal point, with the legends that come to his aid sort of as a support group. Ultimately, Bryan has got to keep center stage.
    So....you're suggesting a influx of 'Attitude Era' mainstays to help bolster a new star? This is the problem with the WWE right now. They are too scared to give the ball to the new talent & let them run with it. I know that the USA Network wanted more of a presense from the McMahons....I get it....but Vince & Steph are more than enough. Need I remind you how stiff and atrociously boring Linda McMahon was on t.v.? Plus, how is any guy going to get over while in a storyline with HBK & Stone Cold? These men draw attention & have big egos that like to be stroked, no matter how cool or down-to-Earth they are now. I didn't care for the last segment of RAW last Monday for the same reason: HHH took up all the spotlight...all the shine....hell, Randy Orton (whose "coronation" it was supposed to be) barely got mic time before deferring the stick back to HHH for more repetitive dribble. How can guys develop their character & mic skills if the old guard is always there? There is so much great young talent in the WWE right now...the WWE just needs to stop being pussies & take a chance on these guys.
    Very good blog. I wonder will he bring in his buddy Kevin Nash, also I heard that Scott hall is getting on the right track will we have a clique reunion. we had a dx reunion I hope we can get it. but I think they will try to push the other wrestlers who don't have the look to be champion with the way there going with the b plus storyline on raw. it be interesting id love to see hbk back for one more match maybe a single match against hhh
    I think they are taking a chance...guys like CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio...and now Daniel Bryan just main evented the 3rd biggest pay per view of the year against John Cena and won cleanly in the ring....then got inserted into the main event storyline as the #1 babyface.

What you said is what I said...I agree with you...there is no way Daniel Bryan can get cemented as a main event #1 guy while competing with Stone Cold, Mick Foley, HBK or any other super main eventer. He will get overshadowed.

To DK - yes, Bryan needs to be the main focus...whether he gets help or not. Bryan and Orton need to be center stage. In order to do that, they need to let these guys do what they do. Orton is a great heel...let him be it. Bryan got super over with the crowd doing what he does...let him do it. HHH and the McMahon's can be involved. They help the storyline a lot. They just can't make Bryan be "Stone Cold". That will not work
    I like your creativity and think some of this could happen, but not all. I don't see Linda or Shane returning. If Austin does return it wouldn't be for awhile. As for HBK, very realistic he returns. You also have to remember Vince is supposed to turn face and I can't wait to see how that happens and how it plays out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.