View RSS Feed

ejorbit

Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young

Rating: 6 votes, 2.67 average.
Prelude:

Those who read my original “Homophobia in the Wrestling Community” blog a couple weeks back are aware that I left the door open to write one or more follow up pieces down the line. While I feel discrimination is in important issue in all walks of life, I wasn’t necessarily interested in making it the core theme for successive entries. So I wrote a blog about blood in wrestling and had a couple other ideas I was ready to flesh out when the Darren Young story broke. I wasn’t planning on writing a part 2 so soon but if now’s not an appropriate time, when is?

“Why do gay people feel they need to announce to the world they f**k men? I don't go around to the world and feel its necessary to tell everyone I f**k women. Seems to me the only people I see with the whole "I'm gay hang up" are gay people. You are running around labeling yourself. Personally I don't care if your gay. Its a big whoop-tee-doo and good for you. I honestly don't care where you put your private part or what you put in them.

Someday I hope gay people wake up and realize we just really don't care if you're gay or not and announcing it is your hang up not ours and personally I'm kind of sick of you guys trying to make some big flipping deal out of it.

Get over it. The shock value has been dead for years
.”
-Ewrestlingnews user El Dandy

Fun fact about the United States: Same sex marriage has been legalized in only 13 of 50 states.

Fun fact about Darren Young: He didn’t “feel the need” to announce to the world he was gay. He was asked a question and he answered it. He didn’t make a big deal, he didn’t grandstand. He said he piece and went on his way.

I have a hard time writing about an issue like homophobia because I know it’s a battle I can’t win. It’s the right of the people around me to believe what they choose and as much as I might vehemently disagree, it’s not my place to judge. But damn it if quotes like the one written above don’t piss me off.

Let me start by saying this, it’s not a big deal that Darren Young’s gay. I mean this in the sense that there are millions (yes, millions) of gay people who walk the earth. Yes, he’s part of a minority group, but that group isn’t as small and as oppressed as it once was.

BUT, it is a big deal that Darren Young was able to come out and proclaim himself as being gay in an industry that his been historically male dominated, macho, and homophobic.

Let me ask El Dandy and all those who share his mind set a question; let’s say you’re out at a bar, café, wherever and you see another guy who’s maybe wearing a hat that supports your favorite sports team. You’re like hey, “go Bears (or whatever)” and you strike up a conversation. There’s nothing provocative or anything like that, just shooting the shit. Then the guy’s boyfriend comes over and grabs his hand, gives him a hug, or whatever. What’s the first thing that pops into your head? I know for a fact that there are plenty of people who would think “cool, whatever” and it wouldn’t matter. I also know there are just as many if not more people who would recoil in disgust and regret that the prior conversation had even taken place.

Don’t you think Darren Young understands the stigma he has to fight against? He’s a wrestler. He walks out onto a stage in trunks and grapples with another guy in trunks. Do you see why he might have been worried about coming out before now? Again, it’s not about making a grand statement. It’s not about saying “LOOK AT ME, I’M GAY!” It’s about being able to be yourself and live your life without fear of repercussions.

“I don't go around to the world and feel its necessary to tell everyone I f**k women.” First of all, I‘m pretty sure you just did. Now, let me say, this drives me crazy. I know it may seem like I’m picking on El Dandy, but his post just covered so many bases. Have you ever heard of a father disowning his son because he loved women? I know some fathers have hated some specific choices, but have they ever had a problem with their sons loving women in general? Probably not. But what if the son in question was attracted to men? See how there’s a difference there. Most gay people don’t “announce” they’re gay. They don’t stand on a podium and air it on youtube. They think “dear god, please let this go well,” and tell select members of their friends and family before fully making it their life style.

“Seems to me the only people I see with the whole ‘I'm gay hang up’ are gay people.” Again, 37 states ban same sex marriage. I’d say plenty of straight people are hung up on the issue. I don’t know if you know this, but there are 300,000,000 people who occupy the US alone and 299,999,999 aren’t you so I’d say you should stop thinking you know the entire straight/gay population.

I’ll wrap this up soon but I have one last thing to cover….

“You can already hear the lgbt community scream discrimination if he doesn't get a push now.”
-Ewrestlingnews user pgarcia79

The irony is thick with this one. Pgarcia79 has taken it upon himself, as an apparent representative of the straight community, to fire a shot at the gay community for…. Well…. Wait, what? I don’t get it. People see what’s wrong here, right? It’s not just me. First of all, you realize the LGBT community is just that, it’s a community. It’s not a fucking hive-mind (language, sorry). It’s not like millions of gay people will wake up tomorrow and think, “no push for Darren Young, OUTRAGOUS!” Will some people get upset about his positioning in the company? Sure. But all sorts of people get upset about all sorts of things all the time. In fact, right now you appear to be upset with the LGBT community for something that hasn’t even happened.

UGGGGGGGG.

Ok, I’m done.

Thanks for reading.

Song of the Day: Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen

Move of the Day: Muscle Buster

Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to Digg Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to del.icio.us Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to StumbleUpon Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to Google

Updated 08-17-2013 at 02:39 PM by ejorbit

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    ok Why does it matter when Famous people come out as gay? well a vast majority of America are of a religion that condemns to death 2 groups of people in their book, one of them is Gays... i'm in the other one... I have seen people lose their children, i have a dear friend who has had to have back surgery due to a baseball bat because ..."he was gay"... no you aren't brave by saying you sleep with women, but no one is going to jump you with a damn baseball bat if they find out. I'm even in the north east mostly Democratic country and up until very recently Gay, Lesbian, Trans, Queer... and My group Pagans have been terrorized (i've had my own child molested by someone trying to "Save his soul") this is why it's important when people come out. Because Misguided forms of Christianity gives them free licence to get their frustration at their own powerlessness out on another human being. I applaud him, and anyone else willing to say yeah your book says to kill me but i'm going to be who i am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihltygre
    ok Why does it matter when Famous people come out as gay? well a vast majority of America are of a religion that condemns to death 2 groups of people in their book, one of them is Gays... i'm in the other one... I have seen people lose their children, i have a dear friend who has had to have back surgery due to a baseball bat because ..."he was gay"... no you aren't brave by saying you sleep with women, but no one is going to jump you with a damn baseball bat if they find out. I'm even in the north east mostly Democratic country and up until very recently Gay, Lesbian, Trans, Queer... and My group Pagans have been terrorized (i've had my own child molested by someone trying to "Save his soul") this is why it's important when people come out. Because Misguided forms of Christianity gives them free licence to get their frustration at their own powerlessness out on another human being. I applaud him, and anyone else willing to say yeah your book says to kill me but i'm going to be who i am.
    Yeah, someone says that being gays means no different then being straight and several people attack him write blogs about him (he didn't even go against homosexuality), Now here comes the the anti Christianity comments. I'm no Bible scholar but last I checked, The New Testament of the Bible is against killing. It says to live Like Jesus Lived and I don't recall Jesus going Gay hunting and killing every gay man in sight..... Say your Gay and 100's of people say how brave you are and how great of a human being you are without even knowing you, Say You are christian and you get attacked by 1,000 people at once. If you ask me Christians get more ridicule and more predijuce then any other community, including gay.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.