View RSS Feed

ejorbit

Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young

Rating: 6 votes, 2.67 average.
Prelude:

Those who read my original “Homophobia in the Wrestling Community” blog a couple weeks back are aware that I left the door open to write one or more follow up pieces down the line. While I feel discrimination is in important issue in all walks of life, I wasn’t necessarily interested in making it the core theme for successive entries. So I wrote a blog about blood in wrestling and had a couple other ideas I was ready to flesh out when the Darren Young story broke. I wasn’t planning on writing a part 2 so soon but if now’s not an appropriate time, when is?

Why do gay people feel they need to announce to the world they f**k men? I don't go around to the world and feel its necessary to tell everyone I f**k women. Seems to me the only people I see with the whole "I'm gay hang up" are gay people. You are running around labeling yourself. Personally I don't care if your gay. Its a big whoop-tee-doo and good for you. I honestly don't care where you put your private part or what you put in them.

Someday I hope gay people wake up and realize we just really don't care if you're gay or not and announcing it is your hang up not ours and personally I'm kind of sick of you guys trying to make some big flipping deal out of it.

Get over it. The shock value has been dead for years
.”
-Ewrestlingnews user El Dandy

Fun fact about the United States: Same sex marriage has been legalized in only 13 of 50 states.

Fun fact about Darren Young: He didn’t “feel the need” to announce to the world he was gay. He was asked a question and he answered it. He didn’t make a big deal, he didn’t grandstand. He said he piece and went on his way.

I have a hard time writing about an issue like homophobia because I know it’s a battle I can’t win. It’s the right of the people around me to believe what they choose and as much as I might vehemently disagree, it’s not my place to judge. But damn it if quotes like the one written above don’t piss me off.

Let me start by saying this, it’s not a big deal that Darren Young’s gay. I mean this in the sense that there are millions (yes, millions) of gay people who walk the earth. Yes, he’s part of a minority group, but that group isn’t as small and as oppressed as it once was.

BUT, it is a big deal that Darren Young was able to come out and proclaim himself as being gay in an industry that his been historically male dominated, macho, and homophobic.

Let me ask El Dandy and all those who share his mind set a question; let’s say you’re out at a bar, café, wherever and you see another guy who’s maybe wearing a hat that supports your favorite sports team. You’re like hey, “go Bears (or whatever)” and you strike up a conversation. There’s nothing provocative or anything like that, just shooting the shit. Then the guy’s boyfriend comes over and grabs his hand, gives him a hug, or whatever. What’s the first thing that pops into your head? I know for a fact that there are plenty of people who would think “cool, whatever” and it wouldn’t matter. I also know there are just as many if not more people who would recoil in disgust and regret that the prior conversation had even taken place.

Don’t you think Darren Young understands the stigma he has to fight against? He’s a wrestler. He walks out onto a stage in trunks and grapples with another guy in trunks. Do you see why he might have been worried about coming out before now? Again, it’s not about making a grand statement. It’s not about saying “LOOK AT ME, I’M GAY!” It’s about being able to be yourself and live your life without fear of repercussions.

I don't go around to the world and feel its necessary to tell everyone I f**k women.” First of all, I‘m pretty sure you just did. Now, let me say, this drives me crazy. I know it may seem like I’m picking on El Dandy, but his post just covered so many bases. Have you ever heard of a father disowning his son because he loved women? I know some fathers have hated some specific choices, but have they ever had a problem with their sons loving women in general? Probably not. But what if the son in question was attracted to men? See how there’s a difference there. Most gay people don’t “announce” they’re gay. They don’t stand on a podium and air it on youtube. They think “dear god, please let this go well,” and tell select members of their friends and family before fully making it their life style.

Seems to me the only people I see with the whole ‘I'm gay hang up’ are gay people.” Again, 37 states ban same sex marriage. I’d say plenty of straight people are hung up on the issue. I don’t know if you know this, but there are 300,000,000 people who occupy the US alone and 299,999,999 aren’t you so I’d say you should stop thinking you know the entire straight/gay population.

I’ll wrap this up soon but I have one last thing to cover….

You can already hear the lgbt community scream discrimination if he doesn't get a push now.”
-Ewrestlingnews user pgarcia79

The irony is thick with this one. Pgarcia79 has taken it upon himself, as an apparent representative of the straight community, to fire a shot at the gay community for…. Well…. Wait, what? I don’t get it. People see what’s wrong here, right? It’s not just me. First of all, you realize the LGBT community is just that, it’s a community. It’s not a fucking hive-mind (language, sorry). It’s not like millions of gay people will wake up tomorrow and think, “no push for Darren Young, OUTRAGOUS!” Will some people get upset about his positioning in the company? Sure. But all sorts of people get upset about all sorts of things all the time. In fact, right now you appear to be upset with the LGBT community for something that hasn’t even happened.

UGGGGGGGG.

Ok, I’m done.

Thanks for reading.

Song of the Day: Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen

Move of the Day: Muscle Buster

Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to Digg Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to del.icio.us Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to StumbleUpon Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to Google

Updated 08-17-2013 at 02:39 PM by ejorbit

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick BoA
    The definition of Homophobia is as follows:
    "intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality "

How about we break down that word?
    Homo: this is referring to homosexuals.
    Phobia:
    a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

So what do we get when we put those two words together? An irrational fear of homosexuals.

You tried your best, but you failed as usual. You will learn that I am always right.
    Ok, I'm going to give it to you straight.

First, I don't go onto your page or comment section or whatever and name call. That's obviously your deal so I hope you live a happy and fulfilled life.

There are a lot of thoughts and opinions of my blog and I think that's great. There's a lot of conversation and people challenging other people's view points. You obviously have no interest in being part of the conversation. You're interested in petty distinctions.

Secondly, I never said homophobia couldn't mean a fear of homosexuals, but that's not its only common usage. I know this because A) people who are smarter then me deemed it so and B) because I live in and experience the world around me.

You obviously got your definition from freedictionary(dot)com. But then you conveniently forgot to include the other definitions....

homophobia: "unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality."

+ my previously stated definition of:

prejudice against (fear or dislike of) homosexual people and homosexuality.

So please, try to be rational when you try to make a point.
    Updated 08-20-2013 at 01:17 AM by ejorbit
    I love how a potentially decent discussion has turned into an "I'm right and you're wrong" tiff as users can't help but tell one another that they are wrong for having their opinions...

So much so that the conversation has broken down into an irrelevant argument over who is right in using the term "homophobia"; if you were both adult about it you would step back, re-read, and understand that you were both right (jorbit in intended usage and Rick in Nazi of Grammatical usages).

This childish breakdown confirms why topics such as this aren't typically the best of things to discuss on the net. Keyboard commandos care not about the cause, just that people agree with their opinion and those with a counter thought know how "wrong and evil" they truly are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    I love how a potentially decent discussion has turned into an "I'm right and you're wrong" tiff as users can't help but tell one another that they are wrong for having their opinions...

So much so that the conversation has broken down into an irrelevant argument over who is right in using the term "homophobia"; if you were both adult about it you would step back, re-read, and understand that you were both right (jorbit in intended usage and Rick in Nazi of Grammatical usages).

This childish breakdown confirms why topics such as this aren't typically the best of things to discuss on the net. Keyboard commandos care not about the cause, just that people agree with their opinion and those with a counter thought know how "wrong and evil" they truly are...
    First off, awesome user name.

I disagree with you saying this topic isn't right for discussion on the net. I think, for the most part, there's been a lot of wonderful back and forth with people challenging each other and adding in their own unique view points. What I don't appreciate, more then people disagreeing with me, is people resorting to name calling.

And to say I don't care about the issue of homophobia because I wrote about it in a blog is ridiculous. I'm not name calling and I use the word "opinion" numerous times because I do believe everyone is entitled to one. Again, will I challenge the opinion of others? Yes. I believe bigotry holds no place in our society.
    I really don't get your blog. You write how homosexuals are not accepted by the wrestling community and wrestling in general and you base it off 1 comment by a poster on a website who wasn't even speaking against homosexuality and was basically saying that he considers homosexuals equal to heterosexuals.

No offense but I have such a problem with straight heterosexual people looking for any way to get offended about gay rights. they think by writing or talking about how everyone is homophobic then it makes them a great person. The louder you are and the more sensitive you are about homosexual and racial situations doesn't equal the the better person you are. But I can be wrong about you, I mean have you written a blog like this on other sites 15 years ago when it wasn't cool to speak up for the homosexual community? or Was there a outrage about the Goldust character blog about him being a stereotype? or a pro Goldust blog or writing how Dustin Runnels brought homosexuality to Wrestling?

It bugs me cause people like Jay Z comes out and talks about Gay rights and call out people for using gay slurs but most of his music has homophobic slurs and remarks. So why the sudden change of heart for Jay Z and people like him. Cause they are more homosexual people and supporters out there, so that means if he uses slurs, Less sales, No endorsement deals and less money and fame.

Im not calling you a Jay Z of any sorts im just saying your blog is about 15 years to late and your examples are pretty poor. I'm sure you can find much better examples then what El Dandy said or John Cena saying the words Broke Back to the Rock. If you cant then there is no reason for this blog other then to work people up or get attention.

And if you look a gay wrestlers I think they have all been treated pretty well. The only openly Gay Wrestlers I know of is Pat Paterson (One of the most influential people in WWE history first IC champ also) . Orlando Jordan (Got a undeserved 9 month US title run and was push down peoples throats). Darren Young (Who just recently on Raw got a huge win only cause he came out as being Gay). Other than that I don't know of any openly gay performers who admitted being gay while being a performer. So to me that dont sound to homophobic.
    Updated 08-20-2013 at 05:41 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    Quote Originally Posted by ejorbit
    First off, awesome user name.
    What I don't appreciate, more then people disagreeing with me, is people resorting to name calling.
    Who was name calling? You used a word improperly and I corrected you. That is not name calling.

This, however is name calling. Doofus.
    Ugh push your agenda elsewhere. Call me crazy but I like to read about wrestling on a wrestling website.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdp
    Ugh push your agenda elsewhere. Call me crazy but I like to read about wrestling on a wrestling website.
    I usually get sandwiches when I go to a deli but that doesn't mean I won't get the soup from time to time.

80% of the blogs on this site are one of two things: 1) Results/reviews and 2) Fantasy booking. So if that's what you're looking for, you have plenty of options.

If you want blogs about other things, there are plenty of those too. Nine of my eleven blogs are about more wrestling centric themes. My two blogs about homophobia rank highest for me in terms of views and comments. That doesn't mean they're great or that people agree with my views. It means that people have strong view points on either side of the issue. There are trolls too but that's par for the course.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.