View RSS Feed

ejorbit

Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young

Rating: 6 votes, 2.67 average.
Prelude:

Those who read my original “Homophobia in the Wrestling Community” blog a couple weeks back are aware that I left the door open to write one or more follow up pieces down the line. While I feel discrimination is in important issue in all walks of life, I wasn’t necessarily interested in making it the core theme for successive entries. So I wrote a blog about blood in wrestling and had a couple other ideas I was ready to flesh out when the Darren Young story broke. I wasn’t planning on writing a part 2 so soon but if now’s not an appropriate time, when is?

Why do gay people feel they need to announce to the world they f**k men? I don't go around to the world and feel its necessary to tell everyone I f**k women. Seems to me the only people I see with the whole "I'm gay hang up" are gay people. You are running around labeling yourself. Personally I don't care if your gay. Its a big whoop-tee-doo and good for you. I honestly don't care where you put your private part or what you put in them.

Someday I hope gay people wake up and realize we just really don't care if you're gay or not and announcing it is your hang up not ours and personally I'm kind of sick of you guys trying to make some big flipping deal out of it.

Get over it. The shock value has been dead for years
.”
-Ewrestlingnews user El Dandy

Fun fact about the United States: Same sex marriage has been legalized in only 13 of 50 states.

Fun fact about Darren Young: He didn’t “feel the need” to announce to the world he was gay. He was asked a question and he answered it. He didn’t make a big deal, he didn’t grandstand. He said he piece and went on his way.

I have a hard time writing about an issue like homophobia because I know it’s a battle I can’t win. It’s the right of the people around me to believe what they choose and as much as I might vehemently disagree, it’s not my place to judge. But damn it if quotes like the one written above don’t piss me off.

Let me start by saying this, it’s not a big deal that Darren Young’s gay. I mean this in the sense that there are millions (yes, millions) of gay people who walk the earth. Yes, he’s part of a minority group, but that group isn’t as small and as oppressed as it once was.

BUT, it is a big deal that Darren Young was able to come out and proclaim himself as being gay in an industry that his been historically male dominated, macho, and homophobic.

Let me ask El Dandy and all those who share his mind set a question; let’s say you’re out at a bar, café, wherever and you see another guy who’s maybe wearing a hat that supports your favorite sports team. You’re like hey, “go Bears (or whatever)” and you strike up a conversation. There’s nothing provocative or anything like that, just shooting the shit. Then the guy’s boyfriend comes over and grabs his hand, gives him a hug, or whatever. What’s the first thing that pops into your head? I know for a fact that there are plenty of people who would think “cool, whatever” and it wouldn’t matter. I also know there are just as many if not more people who would recoil in disgust and regret that the prior conversation had even taken place.

Don’t you think Darren Young understands the stigma he has to fight against? He’s a wrestler. He walks out onto a stage in trunks and grapples with another guy in trunks. Do you see why he might have been worried about coming out before now? Again, it’s not about making a grand statement. It’s not about saying “LOOK AT ME, I’M GAY!” It’s about being able to be yourself and live your life without fear of repercussions.

I don't go around to the world and feel its necessary to tell everyone I f**k women.” First of all, I‘m pretty sure you just did. Now, let me say, this drives me crazy. I know it may seem like I’m picking on El Dandy, but his post just covered so many bases. Have you ever heard of a father disowning his son because he loved women? I know some fathers have hated some specific choices, but have they ever had a problem with their sons loving women in general? Probably not. But what if the son in question was attracted to men? See how there’s a difference there. Most gay people don’t “announce” they’re gay. They don’t stand on a podium and air it on youtube. They think “dear god, please let this go well,” and tell select members of their friends and family before fully making it their life style.

Seems to me the only people I see with the whole ‘I'm gay hang up’ are gay people.” Again, 37 states ban same sex marriage. I’d say plenty of straight people are hung up on the issue. I don’t know if you know this, but there are 300,000,000 people who occupy the US alone and 299,999,999 aren’t you so I’d say you should stop thinking you know the entire straight/gay population.

I’ll wrap this up soon but I have one last thing to cover….

You can already hear the lgbt community scream discrimination if he doesn't get a push now.”
-Ewrestlingnews user pgarcia79

The irony is thick with this one. Pgarcia79 has taken it upon himself, as an apparent representative of the straight community, to fire a shot at the gay community for…. Well…. Wait, what? I don’t get it. People see what’s wrong here, right? It’s not just me. First of all, you realize the LGBT community is just that, it’s a community. It’s not a fucking hive-mind (language, sorry). It’s not like millions of gay people will wake up tomorrow and think, “no push for Darren Young, OUTRAGOUS!” Will some people get upset about his positioning in the company? Sure. But all sorts of people get upset about all sorts of things all the time. In fact, right now you appear to be upset with the LGBT community for something that hasn’t even happened.

UGGGGGGGG.

Ok, I’m done.

Thanks for reading.

Song of the Day: Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen

Move of the Day: Muscle Buster

Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to Digg Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to del.icio.us Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to StumbleUpon Submit "Homophobia in the Wrestling Community 2: Enter Darren Young" to Google

Updated 08-17-2013 at 02:39 PM by ejorbit

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jalsbury77
    Some time back, the WWE wrote the Chamber of Commerce in my state with notification that they would reconsider doing business here if we voted no on the same sex marriage referendum. The letter was published in every newspaper state wide. We ultimately voted no and true to their word, the WWE ceased visiting here. Talk about a anti-bullying campaign, huh?
    Of course they came back not long after. Business is business after all. The arena appeared to be a bomb scare with the few people that actually showed. The WWE has been pushing this hug the world mentality but yet holds the proverbial gun to heads of many and uses coercion to advance their strategy. CM Punk even called out my state, so did Stephanie McMahon and did so before we even voted. Do you think any of us appreciated the words that those two attached to our state and every individual in this state?

Darren came out publicly to someone with a camera. Does anyone seriously not think this was planned from the start. All of a sudden he's doing interviews, everyone is bouncing around his name on Twitter and the WWE has already sent me two e-mails with links about Darren's revelation. He's a celebrity and that business is all about being relevant. For once, Darren is actually relevant so it obviously worked. As I said before, good for Darren. I wish him the best and wherever his life goes. I actually think he has ring talent and with the right push, could actually go far. I just don't care to have his coming out shoved down my throat by CNN, NBC, the WWE and others. There is no shock. He wants a shock I'm sure and the WWE is promoting the hell out of him but that's the way business works.

In the end, I liked Ejorbit's first blog. It had some great points. His second one however, was pointless, only concerning one person's opinion. I only called him out on it and fairly so. I didn't miss the point of the blog at all. I just don't see the purpose of a blogger calling out a single person and stating that he was pissed. It's very cowardly actually. It's sort of like using Twitter to send profanities to someone that you don't even know. There's really no point.

Most of society just doesn't care or are sick of celebrities shouting to the world that he/she is gay. That's not bigotry. We get it. The majority of us accept his/her lifestyle choice. Twenty years ago, such would be shocking but society has come more accustomed to it. Crying bigotry and prejudice never works with anyone who is actually informed in life. Who isn't profiled, hated or pigeonholed everyday? I'm a white southern conservative male so the media and politicians alike just love to toss insults my way consistently. That door swings both ways.
    First of all, I appreciate the feedback. I think the fact that you responded to my post twice at great length proves the relevance of the subject and the worthwhileness of its discussion. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "consumers speak with their wallets." Well, media consumers speak with their words. As I said before, the Darren Young story drew 467 comments on this site. If people didn't care, if the subject wasn't relevant, then it would have gotten the same amount of pub as 98% of all the other stories.

Now on to your points. You keep using the word "shock" in reference to shock value. As in Darren Young came out for shock value. Yet, from my view point, he came out in the most causal, low key manner possible. Yes, it was on camera. But he's a pseudo celebrity. He's not John Cena, that's for sure, but he works for the WWE and he appears on television on a fairly regular basis. He works events, he gives interviews. This media storm that's built up his story is not his doing. But you understand the relevance I hope. The first openly gay wrestler to ever be on the WWE active roster.

I think of TV shows and movies that feature a gay character or two. You hear a lot of people say "I hate how they put a gay character on there just to have one." Why does that have to be the mind set? I feel gay people and gay characters who appear on television are in a no win situation at times. People always think they're out for attention. If John Cena were to say "hey, here's my new girlfriend," most people would probably say "cool, whatever." If Darren Young were to say "hey, here's my new boyfriend," a large group of people would say "dude, get that gay shit outta here. I hate gays shoving their agenda down my throat."

I got more points but I'll have to finish it later.
    Updated 08-17-2013 at 07:40 PM by ejorbit
    This blog was perfect for the timing. I didn't read the first one but I will. Just reading this blog though, it's clear the author is misguided. El Dandy was stating his opinion. Simple as that. You can go against his opinion, and that is your right. But it's also his right to have his opinion on the matter.

The worst thing about these issues and these discussions, whether it's sexual orientation, race, religion...etc, is there's somone who writes something like this thinking he can change the world. You can't. People are going to be supportive, and others are going to hate it. The media will always blow these things up, and half the world will rally and the other half will complain. There's people that don't like homosexuality in the world, and it's not going to change.

You make great points but you fail to acknowledge everyone's right to be an individual. I'm not racist. I'm not sexist. I'm not homophobic. I'm an individualist. I will never hate a person based on skin color, sexual orientation, or anything. I won't judge anyone who does or doesn't like certain group. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. A person against same sex relationships a right to voice out, just as much as a gay person is entitled to live his life how he lives his life. There's too much "trying to change the world" stuff that goes on. The best part about life is everyone has choices. And unless we fall to a dictatorship and become communist, we will always have a choice. A man has a choice to be gay, and someone who chooses not to like it, has every right to speak out against it.

Some of the comments I read on here talk about how El Dandy is ignorant, uninformed, etc. No he's not. He feels a certain way and he spoke it. It's his opinion. There is no right or wrong. Gay people have a fair place in our society. Lots of people still watch Ellen DeGeneres, right? Lots of people still watch "How I Met Your Mother". Big crowds still show up at Kathy Griffin stand up shows. *She's not gay, but a high profile gay rights activist*.

Should same sex marriage be legal in all states? I personally don't think it should be a problem but I don't get to make that call. You can't call out society, because you can't change society. You won't change society.
    To DK Wrestling Savior: Although I usually enjoy your blogs and your comments, I vehemently disagree with what you are saying here. You are basically saying that people have a right to their opinion as being anti-gay, and we can't change the way society thinks. Wrong! It is the duty of good people everywhere to try to make the word a better place. Blacks rallied for equal rights over the decades, and while there is still some racism in this country our society has improved on that issue in the last 25 years. Do you think it is wrong for someone to say that it is their opinion that they hate black people? Or that it is their opinion that they hate Jewish people? If so, then it is equally wrong if their opinion is that they hate gay people. Hatred of others based on race, religion, country of national origin, creed, or sexual orientation is wrong. Calling it "your opinion" doesn't make it right; it's still a form of hatred. Society needs to improve in their treatment of this issue. And we can change society for the better if we work hard enough. It is definitely a battle worth fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    This blog was perfect for the timing. I didn't read the first one but I will. Just reading this blog though, it's clear the author is misguided. El Dandy was stating his opinion. Simple as that. You can go against his opinion, and that is your right. But it's also his right to have his opinion on the matter.

The worst thing about these issues and these discussions, whether it's sexual orientation, race, religion...etc, is there's somone who writes something like this thinking he can change the world. You can't. People are going to be supportive, and others are going to hate it. The media will always blow these things up, and half the world will rally and the other half will complain. There's people that don't like homosexuality in the world, and it's not going to change.

You make great points but you fail to acknowledge everyone's right to be an individual. I'm not racist. I'm not sexist. I'm not homophobic. I'm an individualist. I will never hate a person based on skin color, sexual orientation, or anything. I won't judge anyone who does or doesn't like certain group. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. A person against same sex relationships a right to voice out, just as much as a gay person is entitled to live his life how he lives his life. There's too much "trying to change the world" stuff that goes on. The best part about life is everyone has choices. And unless we fall to a dictatorship and become communist, we will always have a choice. A man has a choice to be gay, and someone who chooses not to like it, has every right to speak out against it.

Some of the comments I read on here talk about how El Dandy is ignorant, uninformed, etc. No he's not. He feels a certain way and he spoke it. It's his opinion. There is no right or wrong. Gay people have a fair place in our society. Lots of people still watch Ellen DeGeneres, right? Lots of people still watch "How I Met Your Mother". Big crowds still show up at Kathy Griffin stand up shows. *She's not gay, but a high profile gay rights activist*.

Should same sex marriage be legal in all states? I personally don't think it should be a problem but I don't get to make that call. You can't call out society, because you can't change society. You won't change society.
    With my work schedule, it's hard for me to give these comments the proper time that I should, but I'll make some quick notes/points.

First, thank you for your comment, any input is appreciated as long as it's constructive.

You wrote that, "You can go against his opinion, and that is your right. But it's also his right to have his opinion on the matter."

But in my blog, I clearly stated that, "I have a hard time writing about an issue like homophobia because I know it’s a battle I can’t win. It’s the right of the people around me to believe what they choose and as much as I might vehemently disagree, it’s not my place to judge."

So I already covered that base.

You also wrote, "
    there's somone who writes something like this thinking he can change the world."

Again, referencing the aforementioned quote, "I know it's a battle I can't win." That being said, if I can make a positive difference in any way, then I'm ok with that.

If this were the 1950s, I'd be supporting women's rights.

If this were the 1960s, I'd be supporting civil rights.

It's the 2010s, and I support equal rights for those in the gay community. I do it because I think it's decent and right and civil. Everyone else can think what they want, and that's fine, but I'll stand my ground just the same.
    Homophobia is a fear of gay people. Use proper words when you try and make a point or else you just look like an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick BoA
    Homophobia is a fear of gay people. Use proper words when you try and make a point or else you just look like an idiot.
    Definition of homophobia:
    "An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people."

Or, if we ask the thesaurus:
    "prejudice against (fear or dislike of) homosexual people and homosexuality."

Thanks for playing though.
    Updated 08-18-2013 at 02:54 PM by ejorbit
    didn't anybody else catch that in jalsbury77's second response, he actually tried to play the "WWE is a bunch of bullies" card because they sent a letter of support for same-sex marriage rights, and when his state voted to keep banning consenting adults from marrying, the WWE threatened not to come back.
    soooo his state voted to bully a certain group, and WWE is the bad guys for saying they don't want to do business in that state....
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.