View RSS Feed

eboy

6 ways TNA can be better than WWE

Rate this Entry
6 ways TNA can be better than WWE

With the WWE’s tag team division in pretty good health and WWE Total Divas a success on the E! Network, it isn’t as simple anymore, when asking the question: What does TNA do better than WWE? To simply site the tag team and knockouts division as examples. The fact is that WWE is really good shape at the moment, it covers many different bases, larger than life heroes and villains like John Cena and Ryback to please the mainstream audience, along with pro-wrestlers like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Antonio Cesaro, Seth Rollins ect to please wrestling fans. TNA cannot be a challenge to WWE simply for having guys like AJ Styles, Austin Aries & Samoa Joe on their show. But the question I ask in this blog is what can TNA develop and strengthen in order to be better at it than WWE?

1) Strengthen the X-Division: Although the X-Division plays host to some good wrestlers in Kenny King, ManiK, Petey Williams & Sonjay Dutt, there is no doubt that it is nowhere near as strong as it could be. TNA, since Bischoff and Hogan arrived have seemed scared that the X-Division might be the only reason somebody would watch TNA, but why? It was the matches of Daniels, Joe and Styles that brought so many fans to the product. Moreover, WWE still neglects the idea of “cruiserweight wrestling” and If TNA focused on making the X-Division must-see, that would provide viewers both hardcore wrestling fans and mainstream viewers a reason to tune in. This would mean introducing guys like: CIMA, Ricochet, Low Ki, Prince Devitt, and Noam Dor, all great talent that the wrestling world would be interested in seeing, and would make viewers tune in on a Thursday night to see the next gravity defying highspot.

2) Keep the Knockouts hitting hard: While the WWE Total Divas show has started well, I myself watched the first three episodes and found it hugely entertaining, the WWE Divas Division cannot hold a candle to TNA’s knockouts in the ring, TNA needs to continue to place emphasis on its female talent. It is disappointing to see Tara depart TNA and I would like to see her return to the division, along with TNA maybe bringing in Alpha Female, The Blossom Twins or some of the talent from OVW to keep things fresh. Meanwhile, Mickie James and Gail Kim continue to prove why they are two of the best female workers in the game, Taryn Terrell has impressed of late and Velvet Sky is extremely popular. An idea for TNA would be to a Divas search kind of concept, this would raise the profile of women’s wrestling and inspire young up and coming women that there is a company that takes women’s wrestling seriously.

3) Bring in talent from Mexico and Japan: With Rey Mysterio out, Sin Cara floundering somewhat and Yoshi Tatsu used as jobber, TNA could improve its product by bringing in top talent from Japan and Mexico. Re-establishing working relationship with CMLL and NJPW would be unbelievably beneficial to TNA. Having stars like: Ultimo Guerrero, El Terrible, Dragon Rojo, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tatsuyo Neito and Kachizuka Okada coming in to work matches. In return the likes of Magnus, Samoa Joe, Jeff Hardy, Bad Influence, Bobby Roode and Austin Aries would the chance to work the two big promotions. This is defiantly something that TNA could do better than WWE, who are completely rooted to the idea of the squeaky clean American babyface.

4) Try new concepts: OK so the steel asylum match was completely nonsensical and the idea of the reverse ladder match that was King of the Mountain may have been a little baffling and the old fashioned monsters ball matches where the competitors were supposedly locked up for 24 hours prior could be spoiled in today’s social networking society when somebody tweets seeing ABYSS at the airport when he was supposedly in solitary confinement. But there is a certain charm to TNA and the slightly crazy matches you can only see in their promotion. Besides, the King of the Mountain matches were very entertaining, the ultimate x matches can be spectacular if booked correctly, the old four way monsters ball matches often lead to fun and chaotic match ups. TNA could also try out new concepts, like an Ultimate Endurance Elimination Match: four competitors/teams start each time someone is eliminated the stipulations changes for example: four way falls count anywhere match becomes a three way tables match and finally at one on one ladder match. TNA should defiantly make a big song and dance about matches that you’ll only see in TNA.

5) Make more of their four PPV’s: Arguably a fan should have more reason to buy TNA Bound For Glory this year, as not only is it one of their four PPVs a year but also the grand daddy of them all! Whereas what reasons does a fan have to buy WWE’s Battleground other than it is another WWE PPV? TNA should really pump this up, make it clear that TNA only goes to PPV four times a year and when they do it’s a jaw dropping, heart stopping experience! The fact is that TNA doesn’t book their PPVs to be special. I wonder what the Bound For Glory set will look like this year, now that IMPACT WRESTLING as been in arenas all year? Surely they must shell out the cash on a cool looking set this year, right? Every TNA PPV should have amazing matches that have been boiling up and ready to explode on that show, great action and exciting wrestling, everyone in suits (A little thing but really lends importance to an occasion). If TNA succeeded in this then your average wrestling fan may start to think about think if buying WWE Battleground is really worth the money just to see John Cena defeat (Insert any wrestler).

6) Ease off on the ex-WWE guys: Now, I realise that TNA would not be where it is today without various WWE Alum who have joined the company over the years, particularly Christian, Team 3D, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy but TNA now has the platform to launch it’s own stars to build the likes of Magnus and Chris Sabin as stars, but more importantly stars that have became popular without the being in WWE. In a way it’s silly that TNA should push a talent like a Mr Anderson, because he once wrestled and lost to the likes of Cena on WWE programming, when they could push a guy like Magnus and when he is kicking ass and taking names, have fans ask: What would happen if Magnus was to fight John Cena? What would happen if Austin Aries fought CM Punk, if Randy Orton was to meet Bobby Roode. The fact that they haven’t been to WWE should be exactly why TNA should push them not the other way round.

I also have a problem with the way TNA is using Hulk Hogan, now I should say I am not a “Hogan-hater” I love the “Hulkster”, I actually jumped out of my seat at Bound For Glory 2010 when it looked like Hogan was going to come down and take out Eric Bischoff. But with Hulk Hogan as the general manager and constantly on our screens, it makes it seem like the only reason TNA is doing well is because of the guy WWE made, coming in and helping out. Now imagine if instead of being on the show every week, Hulk was reserved for special occasions. The crowd would go mental to have a chance to see Hogan, and Hogan could cut interview saying “I’m here to see Sabin (Or Aries) (Or Roode)” that why it seems that this wrestling icon, the guy who sold out the Garden and Body-slammed Andre at WrestleMania 3 is coming to be see TNA guys, they must be special right?

To conclude TNA will only be successful if they do things differently to WWE, it is only logical that fans will only turn to TNA if they are giving them something that WWE is not. The various things I have mentioned in this blog would all go a long way in making TNA seem like a genuine alternative to WWE and hence could only improve their standing in the wrestling world.

Love to hear any comments/thoughts below.
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog.

Submit "6 ways TNA can be better than WWE" to Digg Submit "6 ways TNA can be better than WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "6 ways TNA can be better than WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "6 ways TNA can be better than WWE" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by eboy
    @TheGreatOne:

I agree that TNA needs to do away with the X-Division concept, it is probably the easiest division to book, just bring in exciting stars and let them have at it, give them some free reign.
    And I see your point about the factions, TNA could have easily come out with a new faction name instead of raking up the Main Event Mafia. This new faction between Bobby Roode, Christopher Daniels and Kazarian however is not a new version of fortune it seems to be a new alliance altogether.

I also agree with you on the Trent Barretta score, bringing him, giving him the spotlight means that wrestling fans will see that WWE has dropped the ball on him and hence make TNA look better.

However, I disagree when it comes to ManiK's name change, I think it was a good move by TNA. As there is a lot of awareness nowadays regarding mental illness and depression it seemed a little insensitive of TNA to be saying: "Look this guy is called suicide and he points a gun to his own head, cool right?" so just moving away from those connotation was a good move by TNA in my opinion, however I agree that the way they went about completely ruined the suicide character. We should have never have seen TJ Perkins revealed that way the ManiK character would have stood a fighting chance of getting over.
    I hear what your saying on the name change, however, could they have not came up with something better than Manik? It sounds to me like Manikin. Get what I'm saying? It sounds silly which is the issue along with mystery no longer being there.

As for Roode and Bad Influence, I've liked the group thus far the way it has worked up to this point. Keeps you something to look forward to other than the MEM/Aces N 8s crap.
    One thing TNA needs to do is find a city and arena that embraces them. My dad lives in Orlando and I went to the Impact Zone close to a dozen times. To make a long story short, the Orlando regulars are not overly into the product. ROH has Philly, WWE has Madison Square Garden, ECW had the bingo hall and WCW had Atlanta. Where I am getting at, is when the promotion is wrestling in said town, that town goes absolutely nuts and helps elevate the product. TNA needs to find a city that embraces them. TNA can then have at least 1 of their 4 PPVs at this city and at least a few Impacts each year.
    (and yes I realize TNA is way over in the UK; however, they need to find a place in the states as logistically it only makes sense to do one UK tour per year)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.