View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

My view: Stone Cold's Last Round

Rate this Entry
^What does last round mean? It is a reference from Stone Cold's last match at WM19 wearing "OMR" on his vest that meant 1 more round. Rumor after rumor, year after year, we continue to hear about the possibility that Austin would return to the ring for one final match. Let's be honest here, Austin isn't going to be having his "last round" featured in an undercard fashion at a WM. If he would come out of retirement, it should be in the main event. For those who may argue, this man has been in discussion as the biggest superstar this business has ever produced. Some of the greats have suggested it as did Vince McMahon. Shot or not at Hogan, I certainly believe Vince wouldn't say something to that magnitude without meaning it. He put a company on his back that was close to ya know, RIP. Austin was the face of the new generation of wrestlers who helped topple WCW. So yea, it is valid, including since the wrestling business was the most popular when he was the main man.

To the point why I posted the blog: Rumors swirled recently that he would return at WM30 this year in a program with a superstar he has had several matches with in the past. My thinking was ugh, no need for a dumb rematch to end Stone Cold's career. I want Stone Cold to face someone new that he hasn't faced before. I'm talking dream matches. If you want to see him face Rock, HHH, or Taker I can recommend which matches to go back to watch and see. The whole point of this blog is to name the guys who I want him to face if he did come out of retirement for 1 last match. My standards aka rules say, only guys under contract with WWE. I think that is fair, right? So here it is, if Stone Cold came out of retirement, what 5 superstars do I want him to face?:

HM: Damien Sandow; Daniel Bryan; Dolph Ziggler-Interesting enough, these are my favorite wrestlers currently. So yes bias certainly is here. The thought of Sandow educating Stone Cold would be gold. Who wouldn't want to see that along with a stunner among the what chants during the segment. What? vs Yes/No chants would be cool. I also believe they could have a great match. You could make argument here for both Ziggler and Bryan being the best in ring performer in WWE today. Ziggler reminds me a lot of HBK so it they could have a good match and feud.

5.Ryback-I still believe Ryback can be a world champion. I like his look. If used correctly, him and Austin would be great. You want fed? I'll feed you a can of whoop ass!!
4.Randy Orton-I am not a big fan of Orton. Havn't been for a very long time. I hope he is the 2nd to cash in and lose the MITB cash in. However, I'd love to see Orton/Austin. That Legend Killer gimmick was awesome. He already has Austin on the list after sending him packing 10 years ago this November. You can do the snake vs snake bs, but I love the idea of this match.
3.Brock Lesnar-This match was advertised on my TV back in 2002. It was going to be Brock Lesnar vs Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin wasn't happy with creative because of his use at WM18. I wasn't happy with his use at WM either. After NWO costing Stone Cold at No Way Out his Undisputed title match vs Jericho. I thought this would lead to an epic match with Hogan. The leader of the NWO, instead he gets to face #3 member of the NWO. No disrespect intended to Scott Hall, but he never led an NWO faction like Nash and Hogan. He was the follower, he never held the world title. So when Rock came out to do the obvious challenge, I was thinking in my head "NO!!" Now, I'm not saying I didn't like Rock vs Hogan or that I didn't want to see it in the future. I just really felt, the way it was played out he should have faced the leader of the NWO who cost him his match. Didn't really get to enjoy Rock vs Hogan promo because I didn't want Rock/Hogan as much as I wanted Austin/Hogan. In any case, creative announced that match along with a match against Eddie Guerrero. Wasn't happy them announcing these matches with no buildup to them. He took his ball and went home, didn't see him til 2003 at No Way Out. In any case, Brock still wants to face Austin. That is the one guy who he wanted to face that he hasn't got to face. I would love to see that match, but of course, it would have been better back 10 years ago.
2.CM Punk-Ever since that pipebomb promo, Punk vs Austin has been talked about as a dream match amongst not only fans, but Austin/Punk as well. Punk wore Austin's shirt when he delivered that promo sorta bringing attitude back to WWE. Something us fans have been craving for. All this talk about CM Punk's dream is to main event Wrestlemania. I believe the only match Punk could have to actually have a shot at main eventing Wrestlemania is vs Stone Cold. That of course, unless they would decide to finally unify both world titles. Talk about Punk possibly main eventing it this year. My wonder is against who? He certainly isn't facing Lesnar at Mania in the main event, Undertaker he faced last year, and I hope he doesn't face John Cena again. Rock, I believe is done, so who he'll face is beyond me. Punk vs Bryan or just about anyone else wouldn't main event WM if say Cena vs Taker was on the same show. If not the guys I mentioned, who? For all the bs about straight-edge drug free vs beer drinker Stone Cold is the type of storyline you would work towards. I'd hate that. I want it to be about Punk trying to prove he is the best in the world. I mean it is like everything with these crazed bookers, let's do James Storm vs CM Punk in TNA vs WWE event because of this. I want it to be about Punk proving he belongs and prove he is the man in the WWE.
1.John Cena-A lot of Cena haters will slam me for having Cena at the top of this list over Punk, but Cena is the man. He is the man in the WWE and has been for several years. Top dog vs the man of the attitude era. Who wouldn't want to see Austin deliver the birds to John Cena while giving him a stunner? Austin taking shots at John Cena and when John is on the mic....everyone is saying What? For the people who will take to the comment section for me having Cena at the top. Think about it like this, would you rather see him finger Punk or Cena. Who would you rather see him deliver the stunner to? That along with drinking some beers afterwards. I believe fans would go more crazy over that to be honest.

There you have it!! If Stone Cold came out of retirement, there is the 5 guys I'd like to see him face. Agree or disagree with the list? Who would you like to see Stone Cold face if he came out of retirement? Who is your #1 guy you'd like to see him face? What does your top 5 look like? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
Booking Challenge: Bound For Glory 2013

Top 10: DREAM MATCHES
Superstar: Chris Sabin
My view: TNA Hall of Fame

Submit "My view: Stone Cold's Last Round" to Digg Submit "My view: Stone Cold's Last Round" to del.icio.us Submit "My view: Stone Cold's Last Round" to StumbleUpon Submit "My view: Stone Cold's Last Round" to Google

Updated 08-12-2013 at 10:02 PM by TheGreatOne

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I like the list, not sure about Ryback. When Cena named off that list of people he's beat to DB tonight, I remember thinking, "Ya didn't beat Austin, bitch!" lol If I could add a couple, the only ones I can think of worth happening are HHH or The Rock. Both certainly warrant OMR for Austin.
    I'm sorry but Ryback is terrible at everything from the ring to promos. Needs to go to tna.

1. CM Punk
    2 Daniel Bryan
    3. Sandow
    4. Brock Lesnar
    5. John Cena
    Quote Originally Posted by kakarot786
    I'm sorry but Ryback is terrible at everything from the ring to promos. Needs to go to tna.

1. CM Punk
    2 Daniel Bryan
    3. Sandow
    4. Brock Lesnar
    5. John Cena
    Similar Goldberg type of characteristics which is why he made the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    I like the list, not sure about Ryback. When Cena named off that list of people he's beat to DB tonight, I remember thinking, "Ya didn't beat Austin, bitch!" lol If I could add a couple, the only ones I can think of worth happening are HHH or The Rock. Both certainly warrant OMR for Austin.
    I think it would only help the current product with a current guy who can say he has been in the ring with one of the greatest of all-time. Don't get me wrong, Rock is obviously a top favorite of mine all-time. No one can deny HHHs 3 stages of hell match at No Way Out was one of the best matches he or Austin ever had. I was thinking the same thing. That was the best Miz TV segment I've seen. I felt the emotion involved here, you felt the realness of what both are saying. You know Cena and Bryan meant what they said when they were talking about wrestling.
    If Austin is going to come back at WM30 i want to see him go against Punk and no one else. They could run such an amazing program together with Austins beer drinking and Punks straight edge. I defo think Punk should be heel for it though as face v face happens too much nowadays and its boring, the crowd need someone to hate in their main event. Cant see Punk turning heel again though before Mania.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAudit
    If Austin is going to come back at WM30 i want to see him go against Punk and no one else. They could run such an amazing program together with Austins beer drinking and Punks straight edge. I defo think Punk should be heel for it though as face v face happens too much nowadays and its boring, the crowd need someone to hate in their main event. Cant see Punk turning heel again though before Mania.
    I'll tell ya, Austin isn't going to be the heel in any match he comes back for.
    If anything, I could picture the match exactly being like it was when it was the rock vs hulk Hogan at wrestlemania, in terms of who is the crowd favourite. I.e a vast majority of fans in attendance and around the world would be cheering for Austin, so loud it probably would blow all over the entire stadium.

But thinking about it, old school fans of wrestling or more importantly the attitude era itself when Austin was around to be its biggest star argueably of all time, I can't honestly say either of these men would be the heel in this dream match if it were to happen. Fans love Austin but the fans also love cm punk. They both connect with the people in a way no other performer has (apart from the rock). They call it how it is, they don't bullshit about the truth of any given matter and when it comes down to proving it in the ring, it's on.

in terms of wrestling its two different styles. You have jujitsu, high flying technical styles of cm punk willing to put his body on the line by any given means necessary to win against the smash mouth, slobber knocker style of stone cold who can wrestle and over his career has shown he knows a lot about submission moves and holds, he's as old school as it gets. There is however some moves he cannot or will not do because of his past history with injuries to his neck and knees.

So realistically we won't be seeing anything in terms of the style of cm punk or Daniel bryan for that matter but we would get to see Austin do what he does best: arrive, raise hell and leave.

My personal belief is that a match between these two amazing performers of past and present could very well be the greatest and biggest defining moment in all of wrestlemania history. With a crowd so loud chanting into it for both performers (probably arguably in austins favour) but each and everyone of them and us would appreciate the match they put on, that we could only dream of.

If anything, I can see CM Punk winning against brock lesnar at Summerslam and when he's done with beating the beast and getting his revenge on heyman, I can picture punk around maybe Survivor series, or perhaps sometime before the royal rumble calling out Stone cold for one more match. Saying that he's beaten them all and that he is the best in the world and wanting to solidify that claim by beating the biggest wrestling superstar ever created and loved by the wwe, stone cold himself. IF he can do that at wrestlemania, it truly does prove and solidify that he is without a shadow of a doubt the absolute best in the world of the past, present and future to come.

Austin himself has said he wouldn't just come back to wrestlemania for 1 match and split. He would want to come back several months before that, build it up into a sure fine money maker, to get the fans chomping at the bit at the idea or prospect of a match against punk at wrestlemania. He's not stupid, he knows its a win win situation and if done right AND if both of these stars had full creative control of the storyline and where it goes, it could really be huge.

Hell I personally would mark out if the glass broke at the royal rumble in 2014 and Austin made his way as an entrant, I could see the crowd erupting louder then Jericho got at this years Royal rumble where no one saw him coming. However I can also somehow see cm punk costing Austin the rumble match or vice versa setting them up for WM. There's so many angles really to think about but it makes it more interesting too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.