View RSS Feed

jginger

Ginger's thoughts #1st edition - The travesty that is Hulk Hogan.

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
I’m starting a blog series, in which I will talk about random topics that are surrounded by much controversy. In the first edition, I will be talking about none other than Hulk Hogan.

There is no denying that Hulk Hogan is arguably the most popular wrestler of all time. His mouth watering heel turn and his red and yellow attire helped him carry both the WWF and WCW on his back. Whilst there were other parts that contributed to wrestlings success back then, nobody would ever deny that Hulk Hogan was by far the most popular wrestler then.

That’s the key word; ‘then’.

In 2009 the wrestling world was shook up when Hulk Hogan and Dixie Carter agreed a partnership. Not only would Hulk Hogan be helping behind the scenes; he would also be supporting a rather large on screen role for Impact Wrestling. Many dubbed this as the rise of TNA, some even said that they’d become competition for WWE soon enough, whilst the more sensible realised that it wouldn’t have much effect.

Fast forward four years and the only thing that has taken place was a failed Monday night war and a decrease in ratings. Why? Why Dixie? Hulk Hogan will be on the most money in the whole company, yet absolutely nothing has improved?

Well I lie. Storylines have improved drastically; they’re actually beginning to make sense. No more ninja’s (Sorry Joe). However to counteract with that fact, the quality of wrestling and actual talent on the roster has decreased a substantial amount. The X-Division keeps coming close to death then is revived for a few weeks for a storyline and then back to life support.

I remember when the X-Division was the scaffolding that kept the TNA structure alive and kicking, that all changed when Hogan came in.

Hulk Hogan has his dream job right now. He’s paid to get free exposure even though TNA is getting worse day by day. Due to TNA’s little size, the merchandise that Hogan sells wouldn’t even force his contract into breaking even. So what’s the point of him?

There isn’t. Ratings haven’t improved. Young stars aren’t being developed. In ring wrestling hasn’t improved. Hell, you can’t even praise him for the storylines as it isn’t his job to do it. With TNA struggling for money, you could imagine that soon Hogan may be released. In my opinion, that’s the best thing for TNA to do.

Hogan was a big name back in the WWF, but can anybody honestly say they'd miss him if he left now?

I wouldn't.

Submit "Ginger's thoughts #1st edition - The travesty that is Hulk Hogan." to Digg Submit "Ginger's thoughts #1st edition - The travesty that is Hulk Hogan." to del.icio.us Submit "Ginger's thoughts #1st edition - The travesty that is Hulk Hogan." to StumbleUpon Submit "Ginger's thoughts #1st edition - The travesty that is Hulk Hogan." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just a guess, but if/when WWE ever gets the WWE Network launched, Hogan will leave after his TNA contract expires. Hogan has so much history with AWA, WWF, WCW and WWE that he will be a huge asset to the WWE Network to provide his thoughts on wrestling of yesteryear. Meanwhile, he will get a regular paycheck and not have to travel.
    On another note, I will agree with your blog that if Hogan left TNA tomorrow, nobody would care. Unfortunately, Dixie would just hire another person to play the authority figure role and nothing would change.
    I think it would be best for TNA to get rid of all the MMA guys. What have they done? At least Hogan is wrestling, but nothing has lived up to the hype. Change every x-division match to a triple threat. Making weight limits in the division? It was all about no-limits which was original. Don't break what isn't broken. Look how much the tag division has fallen since they have taken over as well. Bully Ray world champion? Really? Suicide is now called manik? Abyss is now Joseph Park? Let me put my special twist on it to make it better. Fixing something that wasn't broken is quite ridiculous and stupid. Why is Brooke there? What does she provide? Why do TNA need to gms? I bet both of them make more than every single talent on the roster. That along with the MMA guys.

I used to love TNA, but now it really sucks. Some of it is good and most of it is bad.
    Get rid of all the MMA guys? One has been there a month. The other has been there less than a week. Now King Mo, I agree has not done anything and should have done plenty by now but he also wasn't expecting to lose his one fight. I agree with you TheGreatOne that they definitely need to start doing something soon.

Bully Ray gets one of the best reactions in the company as a heel. His reign as a champion sucked because he never did anything with the power. Aces and Eights should have had something start going their way but nothing changed.

jginger I liked this blog a lot. You approach the topic of Hogan sensibly. What bothers me more than anything is promoting Hulk Hogan. He doesn't do anything. You don't see WWE promoting Vickie Guerrero or Teddy Long. TNA uses Hulk Hogan's name in their top 3 name lineup of superstars. It's ridiculous. Now, granted, Vickie Guerrero and Teddy Long don't touch Hulk Hogan but still he's a GM and not a wrestler. If you want to promote Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Magnus, James Storm, Jeff Hardy, Samoa Joe, etc. then you have to commit to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by weems
    Just a guess, but if/when WWE ever gets the WWE Network launched, Hogan will leave after his TNA contract expires. Hogan has so much history with AWA, WWF, WCW and WWE that he will be a huge asset to the WWE Network to provide his thoughts on wrestling of yesteryear. Meanwhile, he will get a regular paycheck and not have to travel.
    On another note, I will agree with your blog that if Hogan left TNA tomorrow, nobody would care. Unfortunately, Dixie would just hire another person to play the authority figure role and nothing would change.

I hope he does leave. You do have a very good point about the Network as well, the amount of footage he would have over time would make a killing for them. However, I wonder what audience they're targeting the network at because they won't make much money if they're doing it to kids because kids wont really cre.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I think it would be best for TNA to get rid of all the MMA guys. What have they done? At least Hogan is wrestling, but nothing has lived up to the hype. Change every x-division match to a triple threat. Making weight limits in the division? It was all about no-limits which was original. Don't break what isn't broken. Look how much the tag division has fallen since they have taken over as well. Bully Ray world champion? Really? Suicide is now called manik? Abyss is now Joseph Park? Let me put my special twist on it to make it better. Fixing something that wasn't broken is quite ridiculous and stupid. Why is Brooke there? What does she provide? Why do TNA need to gms? I bet both of them make more than every single talent on the roster. That along with the MMA guys.

I used to love TNA, but now it really sucks. Some of it is good and most of it is bad.
    I wanted to include the likes of Brooke Hogan in the blog but I really can't as I end up ranting on to much, she literally contributes nothing at all to the product. She isn't famous, her music is horrendous and she's also a bad actor. The only positive thing that has came out of her being there is Bully Ray calling her a whore.

Abyss being Joeseph Park was nice at first, but is now awful.

Manik being Suicide was just plain stupid. Look at Suicide's return promo's, they just don't link at all with the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    Get rid of all the MMA guys? One has been there a month. The other has been there less than a week. Now King Mo, I agree has not done anything and should have done plenty by now but he also wasn't expecting to lose his one fight. I agree with you TheGreatOne that they definitely need to start doing something soon.

Bully Ray gets one of the best reactions in the company as a heel. His reign as a champion sucked because he never did anything with the power. Aces and Eights should have had something start going their way but nothing changed.

jginger I liked this blog a lot. You approach the topic of Hogan sensibly. What bothers me more than anything is promoting Hulk Hogan. He doesn't do anything. You don't see WWE promoting Vickie Guerrero or Teddy Long. TNA uses Hulk Hogan's name in their top 3 name lineup of superstars. It's ridiculous. Now, granted, Vickie Guerrero and Teddy Long don't touch Hulk Hogan but still he's a GM and not a wrestler. If you want to promote Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Magnus, James Storm, Jeff Hardy, Samoa Joe, etc. then you have to commit to it.
    I think King Mo got to hyped up believing that he could take on both then that defeat knocked him down a peg or two. I can't say I'm interested in this Rampage vs Tito Ortiz feud as I don't really follow MMA or have a clue who Tito is, but I understand why TNA is doing it. It's the same reason WWE has celebrity guests at Wrestlemania. To be honest, I know who I'd prefer out of Rampage and Snooki.

Bully Ray is the best heel in wrestling, period.

Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it. I'm pretty new to this blogging thing so if there's a way you could subscribe or something I'd really appreciate it. Planing to do a fair few more of these.

Yeah I've noticed that too, you see big posters promoting Hulk Hogan when they have talent working there asses off. Personally the three I think you should promote (It's usually three) at this current stage in time -

Jeff Hardy - He's a massive draw, will get peoples attention to the show.

Chris Sabin - The world heavyweight champion deserves to be promoted, is also one of the best wrestlers on TNA. Will maintain the attention of fans and garner new ones in the show.

AJ Styles - Best wrestler in TNA history, once again he makes people want to watch. They may not know who he is before seeing him on a poster, but I almost guarantee they'll become a fan if they do go to the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by jginger
    I wanted to include the likes of Brooke Hogan in the blog but I really can't as I end up ranting on to much, she literally contributes nothing at all to the product. She isn't famous, her music is horrendous and she's also a bad actor. The only positive thing that has came out of her being there is Bully Ray calling her a whore.

Abyss being Joeseph Park was nice at first, but is now awful.

Manik being Suicide was just plain stupid. Look at Suicide's return promo's, they just don't link at all with the character.
    I know that is why you didn't have Brooke in. I was just bringing her name along with others that need to go. If they want to cut costs, that is where I'd start.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.