View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
People debate all the time about what if ECW had the resources that WCW had, how would have ECW turned out? People ask after the Rise & Fall of ECW, when will they do a WCW version? People wonder what would happen if WCW had a One Night Stand like ECW has had on several occassions. So to not make this ridiculous and say if they did it now. How about if they did it in June of 2005 like when ECW had their event. How do you think it would or should have been booked. Which is why I challenge you to give me your best card. You book WCW One Night Stand June of 2005 event before all the back surgeries to Hogan to where he can no longer compete. So Benoit, Eddie, and others who were still around can compete on your card if you wish to have them on there. 10 match max as always, book the way you want to. If you want to book based on backstage garbage, old rivalries, or dream matches that never happened. That is your choice here and now to give other WCW fans the goodbye they could have remembered. How do you want WCW to be remembered? Here is how I would have booked WCW One Night Stand:

HM:I would have loved to have used Randy Savage, Lex Luger, Ricky Steamboat, and the list goes on. However, I don't believe during that time period they would have competed aka 2005. Maybe an appearance on the show, but not to compete. I booked only 9 matches leaving one off in their honor. I know it sounds corny, but I don't care.

Disco Inferno vs Alex Wright-I figure everyone would go nuts to hear their music again. You know a lot of active WCW guys will be there including the big stars on the promos. The battle of dance.....Fandango should be in this match!!
Lumberjack match: Raven vs Billy Kidman-Raven is one of those ECW guys who was great, but when he went to the top company's he never did reach his level of potential in my eyes. He did however win the NWA world title in TNA, but it isn't the same. Raven's flock, you know the deal, at ringside as these two go at it one last time.
Special ref Road Warrior Animal: Harlem Heat vs Steiner Brothers-2 of the best tag teams not only in WCW, but in the history of wrestling. No doubt in my mind if Hawk was alive in 05, I'd have him and Animal in this tag match. Greatest tag team of all-time in my mind. However, I would like to book this as a special guest ref matchup with Animal doing the job for us all.
Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit-It would be ideal to have another Benoit/Eddie match, but when you look at what I booked see why I didn't. Got Jericho vs Benoit which is gonna be a good match anyway. For those who hate on me for having Benoit on my card, I have him losing to Jericho here.
Eddy Guerrero vs Rey Misterio-Who can forget the classic they had at Halloween Havoc? Need I say more as to why to have this match? Rey's favorite match all-time. Now it is time to try and top it....LOL! Good luck with that.
Ric Flair vs The Giant(Big Show)-Any of the guys I have in the list really I would have loved to have Flair face. However, no one really other than the Giant. The Giant was one my favorites in WCW. Him and Sting battling NWO back in the day. They could clear the ring whether it was The Giants headbutts or Sting's baseball bat. Two main event guys vs each other. I'd like to have Flair win here, but having him tap out....isn't a good idea!
Scott Hall vs DDP-Who can forget the time when DDP almost joined the NWO. Instead diamond cutter like we all loved. DDP yet again talk is still about how he was misused in WWE. I was excited and happy that DDP was there. However, I was scratching my head at the storyline. Liked him better with the long hair as well. Self-high five type of thing. He did wrestle at a Mania vs Christian and won, but how bad did he have to get? Scott Hall is a fav among many wrestling fans. The promo no one will forget when he came out through the crowd during a match on WCW. His debut one could say. He was the bad guy, hey yo! Perfect match for both of them especially since I'm using match elsewhere on here. Could have Hall competed? Don't know.....DDP was on a TNA ppv in 05 so...yea!
Kevin Nash vs Goldberg-Who can forget the streak ending at Starrcade 98? The ultimate revenge is coming because Nash is next! Nash was a booker at the time and some criticize Nash claiming he booked himself to defeat the streak. Some think it was a terrible way to end it, but what would have been the perfect way? That is why I hate winning streaks in wrestling. Goldberg wanted to actually get tasered with a real one that is the only thing he would changed about that.
Hollywood Hogan vs Sting-In my opinion, the best rivalry of all-time in WCW was Sting vs Hogan. The build, anticipation, the most watched WCW match of all-time. Sting's shining moment and WCW's!! Every week, Sting would be up in rafters pointing his bat at Hogan, sending dummies, and attacking members of NWO other than Hogan. That made that match in 97 so anticipated. That is why I want, Sting vs Hollywood Hogan to end the show. Some folks feel that is when WCW was at their peak. Who can argue with that?

There you have it!! That is how I would have booked WCW One Night Stand in June of 2005. Like my card? How would you have booked WCW One Night Stand? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
Top 10 hit and misses: Summerslam
Superstar: Ryback
My view: Stone Cold's Final match
Booking Challenge: BFG 2013

Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to Digg Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to del.icio.us Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to StumbleUpon Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to Google

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker
    I won't argue for Hogan/Bischoff's run of things in TNA. I won't argue in favor the PG era vs. the attitude era.

WCW vs. ECW One Night Stand comes down to one thing: Cult following. It's like movies that are loved after bombing at the box office like "The Big Lebowski." There is a cult following and a huge love of ECW from it's fan base that WCW doesn't have. Yes, the ECW fan base was tiny but their passion for the product was larger than what WCW fans had for their product.

If anything, WWE was reaching for a little underground cult street cred with ECW's One Night Stand. I don't think they had as much to gain with WCW.

Look at it this way: They make a run with ECW One Night Stand which was successful for ONE NIGHT. When they tried to revive it on a weekly basis it was a huge flop.
    Instead of bringing WCW back on that basis they milk DVDs out of it which is successful. They don't have to bring the wrestlers back. They don't have to pay that talent again. They own the library and for years we're going to see WCW, NWO and Sting DVDs. Imagine how much WCW footage they'll use if they actually sign Sting. I wonder if Vince has regained what he spent on purchasing WCW.

I did hate when WCW folded. I was disappointed with the Invasion angle. I hated what they did with DDP. The day after the last Invasion PPV I went to WCW.com and it faded into WWE.com. That broke my heart. I miss having two competing organizations. TNA isn't even a competitor.
    The reason it was a big flop was because the talent roster. When it first began, it was great with former ECW stars there like RVD, Sabu, among others. Than they just had midcarders on there battling for the ECW title. Didn't promote the ECW matches on RAW or SD when ppv matches were going to be on the next ppv. If you don't care about ECW enough to promote a match for say less than a minute, why should anyone else? RVD said he had discussions on the way he was producing ECW telling him it won't work if he does it like that. He claims Vince said it will work because he will make it work. Did it work Vince's way? Hell, Heyman left along with others because the direction of ECW. They all knew it would be a failure. Sabu wanted to leave sooner, but he wanted Shiek to get inducted in the HOF. Which is why he stayed as long as he did.

WCW isn't brought back because Vince doesn't want it to be brought back. If he wanted it back tomorrow, he would do it. A lot of former WCW fans don't buy WCW DVDs that are sold by WWE. JR said it himself on his twitter. I believe WCW would have been just as successful if not more if brought back in that time period for a One Night Stand. I truly believe that. ECW was a partner of WWEs where they would exchange talent during that time period. WCW was their rival and competitor that forced them to change a lot of what they did.

WCWs Rise and fall DVD sucks in comparison to ECWs because they didn't have guys from WCW to promote it and to talk about. Bischoff, Turner, among others didn't want to be part of the DVD or to talk about WCW. You didn't hear about the great rivalries from WCWs side of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker
    I won't argue for Hogan/Bischoff's run of things in TNA. I won't argue in favor the PG era vs. the attitude era.

WCW vs. ECW One Night Stand comes down to one thing: Cult following. It's like movies that are loved after bombing at the box office like "The Big Lebowski." There is a cult following and a huge love of ECW from it's fan base that WCW doesn't have. Yes, the ECW fan base was tiny but their passion for the product was larger than what WCW fans had for their product.

If anything, WWE was reaching for a little underground cult street cred with ECW's One Night Stand. I don't think they had as much to gain with WCW.

Of course WCW has/had its cult following, if it didn't who would be buying the dvds today. Hell when i was really into WCW in 1999 i was in a cult following of just one because everyone else in my school liked WWF! WCW had its cult fanbase but also a much larger casual fanbase the likes of which ECW never had. Most of the casual fanbase switched off around 1999 onwards when things got stale. By the time WCW folded it was down to its cult level fanbase which was still much larger than any following ECW had. ECW's cult fanbase was more enthusiastic and rabid but look at the crowd reactions on old WCW Nitros, wild pops a lot of the time in that 96-99 era. A good time to be a rasslin fan.

I think its a great shame that Vinny Mac failed to properly capitalise on the WCW name after he bought it and its too late now, even the likes of Rey Mysterio are nearing the end of their career. But hey, its Vince's money not mine!
    Updated 07-29-2013 at 08:01 AM by tommytopographic
    Good card, speaking as someone who started watching wrestling after the monday night wars, I would certainly have been hyoed to see a WCW One Night Stand with stars like Ric Flair, Sting, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Sting, Dusty, Piper as well as guys like Jericho, Guerrero, Mysterio, Storm ect. I think as the 1990s were the most exciting time for wrestling, Yes older fans will watch for nostalgia but younger fans are interested in what was such an amazing time.

Also, I would have included a three way ladder rematch with 3 count vs Yung Dragons vs Noble & Kurragious as it was one of the only memorable matches in WCW's later years
    I'd like to see DDP vs Sting. Probably my 2 favorite from wCw.
    DDP had a great wrestling style. He wasn't a high flyer but he was non stop in the ring. He was older than most and still faster.
    His first moment in WWE/F when he was revealed as the stalker was probably the biggest pop of the Invasion. And it all went downhill from there. How could WWE/F not see how good he was on the mic, in the ring? He deserved more than being buried by the Undertaker and being his wife's stalker. DDP has given some good interviews on this angle.

And speaking of dropping the ball on a talent, but not to the extent DDP was buried: What was Bischoff thinking with Bret Hart? He was paying the guy an absurd amount of money and made him U.S. champion? I don't think Bret had one good story in his entire WCW run except after Owen died, which was his biggest push.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.