View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
People debate all the time about what if ECW had the resources that WCW had, how would have ECW turned out? People ask after the Rise & Fall of ECW, when will they do a WCW version? People wonder what would happen if WCW had a One Night Stand like ECW has had on several occassions. So to not make this ridiculous and say if they did it now. How about if they did it in June of 2005 like when ECW had their event. How do you think it would or should have been booked. Which is why I challenge you to give me your best card. You book WCW One Night Stand June of 2005 event before all the back surgeries to Hogan to where he can no longer compete. So Benoit, Eddie, and others who were still around can compete on your card if you wish to have them on there. 10 match max as always, book the way you want to. If you want to book based on backstage garbage, old rivalries, or dream matches that never happened. That is your choice here and now to give other WCW fans the goodbye they could have remembered. How do you want WCW to be remembered? Here is how I would have booked WCW One Night Stand:

HM:I would have loved to have used Randy Savage, Lex Luger, Ricky Steamboat, and the list goes on. However, I don't believe during that time period they would have competed aka 2005. Maybe an appearance on the show, but not to compete. I booked only 9 matches leaving one off in their honor. I know it sounds corny, but I don't care.

Disco Inferno vs Alex Wright-I figure everyone would go nuts to hear their music again. You know a lot of active WCW guys will be there including the big stars on the promos. The battle of dance.....Fandango should be in this match!!
Lumberjack match: Raven vs Billy Kidman-Raven is one of those ECW guys who was great, but when he went to the top company's he never did reach his level of potential in my eyes. He did however win the NWA world title in TNA, but it isn't the same. Raven's flock, you know the deal, at ringside as these two go at it one last time.
Special ref Road Warrior Animal: Harlem Heat vs Steiner Brothers-2 of the best tag teams not only in WCW, but in the history of wrestling. No doubt in my mind if Hawk was alive in 05, I'd have him and Animal in this tag match. Greatest tag team of all-time in my mind. However, I would like to book this as a special guest ref matchup with Animal doing the job for us all.
Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit-It would be ideal to have another Benoit/Eddie match, but when you look at what I booked see why I didn't. Got Jericho vs Benoit which is gonna be a good match anyway. For those who hate on me for having Benoit on my card, I have him losing to Jericho here.
Eddy Guerrero vs Rey Misterio-Who can forget the classic they had at Halloween Havoc? Need I say more as to why to have this match? Rey's favorite match all-time. Now it is time to try and top it....LOL! Good luck with that.
Ric Flair vs The Giant(Big Show)-Any of the guys I have in the list really I would have loved to have Flair face. However, no one really other than the Giant. The Giant was one my favorites in WCW. Him and Sting battling NWO back in the day. They could clear the ring whether it was The Giants headbutts or Sting's baseball bat. Two main event guys vs each other. I'd like to have Flair win here, but having him tap out....isn't a good idea!
Scott Hall vs DDP-Who can forget the time when DDP almost joined the NWO. Instead diamond cutter like we all loved. DDP yet again talk is still about how he was misused in WWE. I was excited and happy that DDP was there. However, I was scratching my head at the storyline. Liked him better with the long hair as well. Self-high five type of thing. He did wrestle at a Mania vs Christian and won, but how bad did he have to get? Scott Hall is a fav among many wrestling fans. The promo no one will forget when he came out through the crowd during a match on WCW. His debut one could say. He was the bad guy, hey yo! Perfect match for both of them especially since I'm using match elsewhere on here. Could have Hall competed? Don't know.....DDP was on a TNA ppv in 05 so...yea!
Kevin Nash vs Goldberg-Who can forget the streak ending at Starrcade 98? The ultimate revenge is coming because Nash is next! Nash was a booker at the time and some criticize Nash claiming he booked himself to defeat the streak. Some think it was a terrible way to end it, but what would have been the perfect way? That is why I hate winning streaks in wrestling. Goldberg wanted to actually get tasered with a real one that is the only thing he would changed about that.
Hollywood Hogan vs Sting-In my opinion, the best rivalry of all-time in WCW was Sting vs Hogan. The build, anticipation, the most watched WCW match of all-time. Sting's shining moment and WCW's!! Every week, Sting would be up in rafters pointing his bat at Hogan, sending dummies, and attacking members of NWO other than Hogan. That made that match in 97 so anticipated. That is why I want, Sting vs Hollywood Hogan to end the show. Some folks feel that is when WCW was at their peak. Who can argue with that?

There you have it!! That is how I would have booked WCW One Night Stand in June of 2005. Like my card? How would you have booked WCW One Night Stand? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
Top 10 hit and misses: Summerslam
Superstar: Ryback
My view: Stone Cold's Final match
Booking Challenge: BFG 2013

Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to Digg Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to del.icio.us Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to StumbleUpon Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So WWF didn't have bad ideas on their tv screen?

I wasn't watching WCW in 2000 or 2001. Hell, I started watching WWF when Tyson arrived on my tv screen. No one was watching WCW? They were getting 2s consistantly which some networks believe is a good number for any shows. Nobody misses WCW? I would suggest stop sticking your nose up in the air while saying foolish things like that.

WCW failed or started to really suck when the corporates started saying what was allowed on the show. WCW had limitations. What do you think Russo, Bischoff, among others were talking about when they said they were sick of the politics in the back. Guys who don't understand why people like stuff. Example: Those guys wonder why wrestling fans like the product. Don't understand how the business works as I don't understand why some folks like Star Trek or Star Wars. WWF had no limitations. Vince was able to put anything on his TV screen he wanted. When it was just run by Bischoff and Ted, it was great until all the bs Time Warner garbage came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker
    Yeah, WCW won the ratings war for 80 plus weeks and made WWF go live. That's a good thing. I watched WCW over WWF and looking back I don't know why.

WCW had it's moment, actually 80 plus weeks of them then WWE took over again and there was no looking back. WCW had more money behind it and when it came time to sell Time Warner refused to let the new owners put WCW on any of their networks.

WCW was creative for a short while. Then they got bad. Do you know Randy Savage TWICE won the world title at a PPV only to lose it the next night to Hogan on Nitro? Of course we're talking about a company that put the title on David Arquette and Vince Russo. They did the taser angle that wouldn't go away. Then they did the whole who tried to run over Kevin Nash in a Hummer (I think it was a Hummer) and it went nowhere yet they kept recycling it.

My point isn't which company was better or worse. My main point is by the time WCW folded, nobody was going to miss it. No networks wanted it. Time Warner got rid of it. Nobody was watching it (except me and you).

There are times for being nostalgic but by the time '05 rolled around I don't think anyone would have cared about a WCW revival. Individual superstars of course. But we didn't need to see those old rivalries. The entire excitement of the WCW/ECW Invasion was that we were finally going to see WCW's top guys vs. WWE's top guys...which didn't happen (and WWE buried DDP).

Speaking of superstars of each company and jumping ship: WCW took guys who were kinda used up by WWE like Hogan, Savage, Nash, Hall, Piper, etc. When WWE took WCW guys they took them before they went big like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, Big Show (OK, we can argue about Big Show as he was pushed in WCW but he was young). Even after WCW folded and later WCW stars came to WWE most were failures. Goldberg's run sucked. Steiner couldn't move anymore. Hell, the most successful guy from WCW that WWE brought in after the purchase was Eric Bischoff.
    Not sure about some of your points there, when WCW folded it was still posting better ratings than TNA today & around the same as Smackdown posts in the last few years. A lot of WCW fans like myself tried out WWE when WCW folded but didn't like the way former WCW talent were often repackaged and misused, missed many of the quirks of WCW and found the admittedly more professionally produced WWE a little stale.
    WCW best of Nitro dvd vol 1 was the 2nd best selling dvd of 2011 and other WCW dvd releases sell well, WWE has finally realised that there still is a big WCW fanbase to be tapped into.
    I think WCW was a hoot up until Russo turned up.
    Updated 07-28-2013 at 01:51 PM by tommytopographic
    Not sure if it's a bragging point that WCW in the end had better ratings than TNA today.

Yeah, those WCW DVDs sell well. That's nostalgic and an older fan base. New wresting fans don't know WCW and it'll fade even more over the next decade.

For me, WCW was in it's stride with the NWO run, the first run and building the streak of Goldberg. Then they blew all that. They put half the roster in the NWO and totally lost direction with Goldberg after his streak ended.

They started to make the right moves near the end when they made DDP champ, then pushed Hogan aside and made Booker T champ and rotated the title around Booker, Steiner and Jarrett. Finally they were pushing younger talent. Unfortunately it was during Russo's reign and he messed it up. Also, the push of Lance Storm was great. They had the right guys to push, but had horrible booking.

I have to take issue about Bischoff hating the politics. This is a guy that made Kevin Nash a booker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker
    Not sure if it's a bragging point that WCW in the end had better ratings than TNA today.

Yeah, those WCW DVDs sell well. That's nostalgic and an older fan base. New wresting fans don't know WCW and it'll fade even more over the next decade.

For me, WCW was in it's stride with the NWO run, the first run and building the streak of Goldberg. Then they blew all that. They put half the roster in the NWO and totally lost direction with Goldberg after his streak ended.

They started to make the right moves near the end when they made DDP champ, then pushed Hogan aside and made Booker T champ and rotated the title around Booker, Steiner and Jarrett. Finally they were pushing younger talent. Unfortunately it was during Russo's reign and he messed it up. Also, the push of Lance Storm was great. They had the right guys to push, but had horrible booking.

I have to take issue about Bischoff hating the politics. This is a guy that made Kevin Nash a booker.
    Bragging? Who is bragging? Just stating facts here. I don't even believe TNA has had a 2.1 in the company's history. I watch TNA and ROH. Fact of the matter is networks would want a program to produce. Hell, that is what WGN wanted when they put superstars on Thursdays at 8. Instead they were getting 0. ratings which is why they scrapped it.

Older fans and newer fans don't? New, old, whatever, WCW had a much larger fanbase than ECW ever had which is the point. Why couldn't WCWs had been successful if ECWs was?

Hell yea, when you have limitations on ones program you arn't gonna have it as great as it was before. Do you think WWE today who has limitations based on the pg rating compares to the attitude era? 1 progam was able to flash Sable's chest while the other had several rejected ideas by guys who didn't understand the business.

Yea, everything is Russo's fault. It is his fault TNA has been in the crapper ever since he has been absent from TNA. Look at the tag division in comparison along with the X-Division. He booked the best days TNA has ever had. Not Hogan/Bischoff. Hell, he was the one who started booking Raw to become more edgy with the attitude era. He had limitations just like Bischoff to do things. However, he made some terrible decisions while over WCW.
    I won't argue for Hogan/Bischoff's run of things in TNA. I won't argue in favor the PG era vs. the attitude era.

WCW vs. ECW One Night Stand comes down to one thing: Cult following. It's like movies that are loved after bombing at the box office like "The Big Lebowski." There is a cult following and a huge love of ECW from it's fan base that WCW doesn't have. Yes, the ECW fan base was tiny but their passion for the product was larger than what WCW fans had for their product.

If anything, WWE was reaching for a little underground cult street cred with ECW's One Night Stand. I don't think they had as much to gain with WCW.

Look at it this way: They make a run with ECW One Night Stand which was successful for ONE NIGHT. When they tried to revive it on a weekly basis it was a huge flop.
    Instead of bringing WCW back on that basis they milk DVDs out of it which is successful. They don't have to bring the wrestlers back. They don't have to pay that talent again. They own the library and for years we're going to see WCW, NWO and Sting DVDs. Imagine how much WCW footage they'll use if they actually sign Sting. I wonder if Vince has regained what he spent on purchasing WCW.

I did hate when WCW folded. I was disappointed with the Invasion angle. I hated what they did with DDP. The day after the last Invasion PPV I went to WCW.com and it faded into WWE.com. That broke my heart. I miss having two competing organizations. TNA isn't even a competitor.
    This is a pretty good blog. Nothing to complain about and very solid card. One match I would have added is:
    1. Bret Hart vs. Kurt Hennig
    -Starrcade 1997 was the most anticipated PPV in WCW history and Bret Hart made his WCW debut that night. Unfortunately, he was used as a ref and not a wrestler. I think Hart should have been promoted to make his debut and he and Hennig could have used this match to recreate their previous rivalry from their WWF days.
    Quote Originally Posted by weems
    This is a pretty good blog. Nothing to complain about and very solid card. One match I would have added is:
    1. Bret Hart vs. Kurt Hennig
    -Starrcade 1997 was the most anticipated PPV in WCW history and Bret Hart made his WCW debut that night. Unfortunately, he was used as a ref and not a wrestler. I think Hart should have been promoted to make his debut and he and Hennig could have used this match to recreate their previous rivalry from their WWF days.
    This is like a reunion show taking place in 05 like ECW's did. If Curt was still alive or Bret was able to compete in 05, they'd definately be on the card.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.