View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
People debate all the time about what if ECW had the resources that WCW had, how would have ECW turned out? People ask after the Rise & Fall of ECW, when will they do a WCW version? People wonder what would happen if WCW had a One Night Stand like ECW has had on several occassions. So to not make this ridiculous and say if they did it now. How about if they did it in June of 2005 like when ECW had their event. How do you think it would or should have been booked. Which is why I challenge you to give me your best card. You book WCW One Night Stand June of 2005 event before all the back surgeries to Hogan to where he can no longer compete. So Benoit, Eddie, and others who were still around can compete on your card if you wish to have them on there. 10 match max as always, book the way you want to. If you want to book based on backstage garbage, old rivalries, or dream matches that never happened. That is your choice here and now to give other WCW fans the goodbye they could have remembered. How do you want WCW to be remembered? Here is how I would have booked WCW One Night Stand:

HM:I would have loved to have used Randy Savage, Lex Luger, Ricky Steamboat, and the list goes on. However, I don't believe during that time period they would have competed aka 2005. Maybe an appearance on the show, but not to compete. I booked only 9 matches leaving one off in their honor. I know it sounds corny, but I don't care.

Disco Inferno vs Alex Wright-I figure everyone would go nuts to hear their music again. You know a lot of active WCW guys will be there including the big stars on the promos. The battle of dance.....Fandango should be in this match!!
Lumberjack match: Raven vs Billy Kidman-Raven is one of those ECW guys who was great, but when he went to the top company's he never did reach his level of potential in my eyes. He did however win the NWA world title in TNA, but it isn't the same. Raven's flock, you know the deal, at ringside as these two go at it one last time.
Special ref Road Warrior Animal: Harlem Heat vs Steiner Brothers-2 of the best tag teams not only in WCW, but in the history of wrestling. No doubt in my mind if Hawk was alive in 05, I'd have him and Animal in this tag match. Greatest tag team of all-time in my mind. However, I would like to book this as a special guest ref matchup with Animal doing the job for us all.
Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit-It would be ideal to have another Benoit/Eddie match, but when you look at what I booked see why I didn't. Got Jericho vs Benoit which is gonna be a good match anyway. For those who hate on me for having Benoit on my card, I have him losing to Jericho here.
Eddy Guerrero vs Rey Misterio-Who can forget the classic they had at Halloween Havoc? Need I say more as to why to have this match? Rey's favorite match all-time. Now it is time to try and top it....LOL! Good luck with that.
Ric Flair vs The Giant(Big Show)-Any of the guys I have in the list really I would have loved to have Flair face. However, no one really other than the Giant. The Giant was one my favorites in WCW. Him and Sting battling NWO back in the day. They could clear the ring whether it was The Giants headbutts or Sting's baseball bat. Two main event guys vs each other. I'd like to have Flair win here, but having him tap out....isn't a good idea!
Scott Hall vs DDP-Who can forget the time when DDP almost joined the NWO. Instead diamond cutter like we all loved. DDP yet again talk is still about how he was misused in WWE. I was excited and happy that DDP was there. However, I was scratching my head at the storyline. Liked him better with the long hair as well. Self-high five type of thing. He did wrestle at a Mania vs Christian and won, but how bad did he have to get? Scott Hall is a fav among many wrestling fans. The promo no one will forget when he came out through the crowd during a match on WCW. His debut one could say. He was the bad guy, hey yo! Perfect match for both of them especially since I'm using match elsewhere on here. Could have Hall competed? Don't know.....DDP was on a TNA ppv in 05 so...yea!
Kevin Nash vs Goldberg-Who can forget the streak ending at Starrcade 98? The ultimate revenge is coming because Nash is next! Nash was a booker at the time and some criticize Nash claiming he booked himself to defeat the streak. Some think it was a terrible way to end it, but what would have been the perfect way? That is why I hate winning streaks in wrestling. Goldberg wanted to actually get tasered with a real one that is the only thing he would changed about that.
Hollywood Hogan vs Sting-In my opinion, the best rivalry of all-time in WCW was Sting vs Hogan. The build, anticipation, the most watched WCW match of all-time. Sting's shining moment and WCW's!! Every week, Sting would be up in rafters pointing his bat at Hogan, sending dummies, and attacking members of NWO other than Hogan. That made that match in 97 so anticipated. That is why I want, Sting vs Hollywood Hogan to end the show. Some folks feel that is when WCW was at their peak. Who can argue with that?

There you have it!! That is how I would have booked WCW One Night Stand in June of 2005. Like my card? How would you have booked WCW One Night Stand? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
Top 10 hit and misses: Summerslam
Superstar: Ryback
My view: Stone Cold's Final match
Booking Challenge: BFG 2013

Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to Digg Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to del.icio.us Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to StumbleUpon Submit "Booking Challenge: WCW One Night Stand" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    That would have been a good ppv, I wouldn't have it instead of ECW, but I certainly would buy it if it happened
    Good idea but would have been better in 2001/02. Too many of the WCW guys were past it by 2005, most could still go in 2001/02.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Piper
    That would have been a good ppv, I wouldn't have it instead of ECW, but I certainly would buy it if it happened
    I enjoyed ECW as well and glad it happened. However, say WCW had a reunion show like ECW has so many. I just booked in 2005 because that was when ECWs happened finally.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytopographic
    Good idea but would have been better in 2001/02. Too many of the WCW guys were past it by 2005, most could still go in 2001/02.
    Yea, but during that period WWE was doing the invasion thing. Shit on both promotions and hope everyone forgot about them. It took a 4 year period just to get ECWs One Night Stand. I just booked it in the same month and year to say what if WCW got a One Night Stand. A reunion type of show like ECW had in that period.
    WCW ran those matches all the time and they went under. WWE had no interesting in guys like Alex Wright or Disco Inferno. WCW was a haven for guys used up by WWE and guys WWE would never have any interest in. Other than Goldberg, Booker T, Scott Steiner and Sting, WCW didn't create superstarts. The guys that did leave WCW for WWE like Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, were never realized as having main event talent by WCW. Jericho is probably WCW's biggest fail other than Steve Austin.
    Even Booker T, who WCW started to push, became a better performer in WWE (after being buried for a year or so).

WCW was not unique and was a weaker version of the same style WWE used. ECW was unique. The company did fail from poor management but it was a great underground idea. ECW One Night Stand worked because it used ECW Extreme rules promoted by the WWE. The moment and crowd energy of RVD taking the WWE championship off Cena in a ECW venue under ECW rules can't be replicated by any WCW fantasy.

And who the Hell wants to see Kevin Nash ever try to work a match again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker
    WCW ran those matches all the time and they went under. WWE had no interesting in guys like Alex Wright or Disco Inferno. WCW was a haven for guys used up by WWE and guys WWE would never have any interest in. Other than Goldberg, Booker T, Scott Steiner and Sting, WCW didn't create superstarts. The guys that did leave WCW for WWE like Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, were never realized as having main event talent by WCW. Jericho is probably WCW's biggest fail other than Steve Austin.
    Even Booker T, who WCW started to push, became a better performer in WWE (after being buried for a year or so).

WCW was not unique and was a weaker version of the same style WWE used. ECW was unique. The company did fail from poor management but it was a great underground idea. ECW One Night Stand worked because it used ECW Extreme rules promoted by the WWE. The moment and crowd energy of RVD taking the WWE championship off Cena in a ECW venue under ECW rules can't be replicated by any WCW fantasy.

And who the Hell wants to see Kevin Nash ever try to work a match again?
    After reading your comments slamming WCW, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You do understand who you are talking about right? We are not talking about ECW, the brand that couldn't compete with either WCW or WWE at any time period during their best days.

WCW beat WWF in the ratings 80+ weeks straight. That didn't happen because they showed the same product. WCW did things different than WWF did at the time. WCW went live when WWF was taped, they created real life characters while WWF had for several years cartoon like characters. I could go on and on abotu what they did. They forced WWF to change the way they did business. A lot of people were upset by the change including the Hart Family. WCW cruiserweight division got WWF to create their own lightweight division. WCW was not unique? weaker version of same style? From 95-98 WCW was the better of the two. I'm not just saying that by myself, the ratings tell you that. What show did they watch?

Who said I wanted to create the same moment of RVD winning the WWF title? I said do it like a reunion show the year before in 05 when RVD couldn't compete on the show. Obviously you don't know the difference between the two, but that comes as no surprise because you don't know what the differences was between WCW and WWF. There were far more fans of WCW than ECW ever dreamed of having. So to say it couldn't have been as successful as ECW's is quite an idiotic statement when WCW actually was a competitor to WWF where they actually won in the ratings. Hell, the reason they have 12 ppvs today is because of WCW beginning to do that.

Yea, it is true, the created no new stars. You forgot DDP on that list along with Vader, Cactus Jack, among others. WWF was used up by WCW guys? What about all the WCW guys who were on the shows in 99-2000 from Benoit, Guerrero, Saturn, Jericho, Big Show, and the list goes on. Look at all the ECW stars on WWF tv, from the dudley boyz, Austin, Mankind, again I could go on. Hell, WWF stole top territories stars from them....look at all the AWA stars. NWA Roddy Piper went to WWF before that Mania. Hogan was from the AWA as was Mr.Perfect, The Brain, The Rockers, among others.

Slamming Disco Inferno and Alex Wright because WWF had no interest in them? whose to say they didn't have interest in coming to WWF? Alex Wright retired in 2003 and was one of the few contracts WWF couldn't pick up. Retired in 03 and was sick of all the politic bs that went on at WCW. You know how many ECW guys WWE didn't want? 2 big names in ECW who were world champions wasn't on the show off the top of my head, Raven/Shane Douglas. Plz, don't speak about WCW in such a rude way when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
    Yeah, WCW won the ratings war for 80 plus weeks and made WWF go live. That's a good thing. I watched WCW over WWF and looking back I don't know why.

WCW had it's moment, actually 80 plus weeks of them then WWE took over again and there was no looking back. WCW had more money behind it and when it came time to sell Time Warner refused to let the new owners put WCW on any of their networks.

WCW was creative for a short while. Then they got bad. Do you know Randy Savage TWICE won the world title at a PPV only to lose it the next night to Hogan on Nitro? Of course we're talking about a company that put the title on David Arquette and Vince Russo. They did the taser angle that wouldn't go away. Then they did the whole who tried to run over Kevin Nash in a Hummer (I think it was a Hummer) and it went nowhere yet they kept recycling it.

My point isn't which company was better or worse. My main point is by the time WCW folded, nobody was going to miss it. No networks wanted it. Time Warner got rid of it. Nobody was watching it (except me and you).

There are times for being nostalgic but by the time '05 rolled around I don't think anyone would have cared about a WCW revival. Individual superstars of course. But we didn't need to see those old rivalries. The entire excitement of the WCW/ECW Invasion was that we were finally going to see WCW's top guys vs. WWE's top guys...which didn't happen (and WWE buried DDP).

Speaking of superstars of each company and jumping ship: WCW took guys who were kinda used up by WWE like Hogan, Savage, Nash, Hall, Piper, etc. When WWE took WCW guys they took them before they went big like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, Big Show (OK, we can argue about Big Show as he was pushed in WCW but he was young). Even after WCW folded and later WCW stars came to WWE most were failures. Goldberg's run sucked. Steiner couldn't move anymore. Hell, the most successful guy from WCW that WWE brought in after the purchase was Eric Bischoff.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.